This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• brain freeze

So you probably all know that water freezes at 32 degrees Fahrenheit. Unfortunately, I've had more than a few patrons not realize how to apply this knowledge to the basics of ice skating.

The building next to us, a commercial civic & business space, plows out a space on their lawn (and to be honest, they usually end up using some library property, too) once the snow is deep enough and fills it with water, freezes it, maintains it with a mini zamboni, and lets people skate on it for free. Fantastic, yes?

Okay, mostly. I've got some beef with them for utterly failing at containing their damned frozed water properly--it melts, runs through the snow and ices the sidewalks, which are only a few feet from the edge of their makeshift rink. And it's our sidewalk so it's our responsibility to keep it clear. *grumblegrumble*

The sad, sad part, though, comes from the occasional patron who wants the library to answer questions about this business's rink (for a business they're really hard to get a hold of--rarely answer their phone, no hours in the building (they rent out space for events), no website. Apparently the best way to talk to them is to go to the barbershop where one of them works and bother him there.). Since we're next door and we're a library, we're clearly the best folks for the job.

Icy glare, full of hot air

Two years ago during a series of slightly warmer (upper 30s, low 40s) days
    (we didn't have real winter last year)

Skate Momma: Why is rink closed? [the business puts up caution tape & a sign if it isn't safe to skate] Why can't my kids skate?
    Me: Well, it's too warm today.
    SM: It's not that warm. We want to skate.
    Me: It's above freezing. The ice is melting and won't hold people.
    SM: *glare*
    Me: *internal eye roll*
    SM: Where else can we skate? [College Down the Road] let's people skate, right?
    Me: They're an outdoor pond. They'll be closed, too.
    SM: *glare*
    Me: *typity* [Big University Next Town Over] has a rink. *google-fu* Looks like their hours today are [hours].
    SM: Where are they?
    Me: *gives general directions and is cut off mid sentence*
    SM: That's indoors! We wanna skate outside!
    Me: . . . but it's too warm for ice . . .?
    SM: *glare* We're going to [Pond at Next Town Over]. I bet they'll let us skate! *storms out*
    Me: *internally, alas: If they do, it'll only be because they want you to fall in!*

Pretty ponds are best

Yesterday
    The rink's been made, but hasn't opened yet. All days recently have been about 32 degrees Fahrenheit.

Aesthetically Inclined Grandma: Do you know why the rink is closed?
    Me: It's too warm out.
    AIG: But you could still skate on the ice. (this was totally a statement and not a question)
    Me: . . .
    AIG: It's because it'd chop up the ice too much, right? Skating when it's warmer out makes the ice mushy?
    Me: *eh, sure why not* Yeah, that's right.
    AIG: Thank you *turns to grandchild.* See you can't slide on the ice right now because the ice will get mushy and won't look nice. They don't want the pond to look bad. It's not because it isn't safe, it's so they can keep it looking nice.
    Me:

Quoth camjuniper View Post
    Okay, mostly. I've got some beef with them for utterly failing at containing their damned frozed water properly--it melts, runs through the snow and ices the sidewalks, which are only a few feet from the edge of their makeshift rink. And it's our sidewalk so it's our responsibility to keep it clear. *grumblegrumble*
    Ok, maybe it is because I live in drainage nightmare land - but how does the city let them get away with this?!
    Also, what grown adult doesn't know how ice works?

Comment

Quoth auntiem View Post
      Also, what grown adult doesn't know how ice works?
      At least one, but I would bet on a good portion of the population.
      It's not the years in you life that count, it's the life in your years! - Quote from the office coffee cup.

Comment

I've skated on clear ice you could *see* rippling under you and the other skaters. My brother would "Bunny Hop" every time he went past our mom...

(Flooded meadow a few inches deep in Callao, Utah.)
        I am not an a**hole. I am a hemorrhoid. I irritate a**holes!
        Procrastination: Forward planning to insure there is something to do tomorrow.
        Derails threads faster than a pocket nuke.

Comment

Some people are....just stupid.

On my old street, the people on the corner decided they needed to drain the water from their washing machine in the basement. So they put a hose from the basement windows out to the sidewalk. Where all the water froze solid, turning the sidewalk into a sheet of thick ice.

Somebody *coughcough* called the city and complained. The hose was removed. Idiots.
          When you start at zero, everything's progress.

Comment

I would much rather skate indoors because you don't have to be as bundled up as you would outside, since it has to be pretty cold outside for the ice to be safe.

Comment

Quoth camjuniper View Post
              SM: *glare* We're going to [Pond at Next Town Over]. I bet they'll let us skate! *storms out*
              Me: *internally, alas: If they do, it'll only be because they want you to fall in!*
              This is why I'm a firm believer of not killing stupid people. We should instead remove all warning labels and let Darwinism take care of the problem for us.
              I never lost my faith in humanity. Can't lose what you never had right?

Comment

Quoth auntiem View Post
                Ok, maybe it is because I live in drainage nightmare land - but how does the city let them get away with this?!
                Unfortunately, it's the responsibility of the sidewalk abutter to clear up the sidewalks. The way our property lines are, we're responsible for most of the sidewalk, right up to the crosswalk on the corner (our property runs on a diagonal alongside the sidewalk). So even though they're the ones who're messing it up, we have to clean it up. My Director did talk to public works, but the most they're willing to do is put out a sand barrel (in case we don't get to the new messes in time) and salting/sanding the road if the ice forms in the road.

Plus there was some wonky politics with this place some years back when the library was remodeling so my already conflict avoidant director is walking on eggshells with them.

Comment

Quoth Cecily View Post
                  At least one, but I would bet on a good portion of the population.
                  stupid people are like cockroaches if you see one that means there's a thousand.
                  Interviewer: What is your greatest weakness?
                  Me: I expect competence from my coworkers.

Comment

Hm. Consider having Public Works make a nice garden along the area near the ice rink, with a water resistant or waterproof barrier along the place where the ice rink goes.

Leave plenty of space for the ice rink, sure, but have drainage&barrier in place to handle the melting/refreezing ice.
                    Seshat's self-help guide:
                    1. Would you rather be right, or get the result you want?
                    2. If you're consistently getting results you don't want, change what you do.
                    3. Deal with the situation you have now, however it occurred.
                    4. Accept the consequences of your decisions.

"All I want is a pretty girl, a decent meal, and the right to shoot lightning at fools." - Anders, Dragon Age.

Comment

Reminds me of an old joke about a Canadian in Florida . I'll tell it in the Jokes forum.
                      cindybubbles (👧 ❤️ 🎂 )

Enter Cindyland here!

Comment

Quoth Mongo Skruddgemire View Post
                        This is why I'm a firm believer of not killing stupid people. We should instead remove all warning labels and let Darwinism take care of the problem for us.
                        Oh, we don't have to remove the warning labels. The really stupid ones don't read them anyway.

Comment

Quoth Mongo Skruddgemire View Post
                          Sorry, but stupidity is evolutionarily selected for as a survival trait for the rest of us, just like sickle-cell anemia.

We *need* somebody to find feed the tigers.
                          I am not an a**hole. I am a hemorrhoid. I irritate a**holes!
                          Procrastination: Forward planning to insure there is something to do tomorrow.
                          Derails threads faster than a pocket nuke.

Comment

Working...
                          X