Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Welcome back to day shift (3 stories in 1!)

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Welcome back to day shift (3 stories in 1!)

So, for those of you haven't been following my thread in General Work Chat, I finally got back on day shift after being stuck on overnights for three months. And the universe decided to welcome me back to the land of the living by making my first day shift absolutely nuts.

How dare you suggest I wait in line?

The first half an hour of my shift was insanely busy, so as soon as the lines died down I seized the opportunity to mop (hooray Michigan winters). While I'm mopping, a lady approaches me.

Impatient Lady: Excuse me, could you open the other register, I'm in a hurry.

I look up, there's nobody in line ahead of her except for the customer actually at the register. Granted, it's a little old lady buying lottery tickets, which is not the quickest transaction in the world, but by the time I put the mop away in the back room and unlock my register, she'll probably be done anyways. And I really don't want to risk it getting busy again before I finish mopping (mopping around customers is way harder than mopping an empty store).

Me: Sorry, ma'am, my coworker's almost done, and I really need to finish mopping.
    IL: WELL FINE THEN! *sets her stuff down on the donut case and storms out.

Seriously, if you have time to stop for cookies and soda, you can wait in line for thirty seconds.

Will you please let me finish my sentences?

During one of the busy periods (i.e. the entire day), a woman, who I remember being at my register a few minutes prior,but not what her exact transaction was, sticks her head in the door and tells me I owe her $2 on pump 4. My register doesn't show that I owe her change from a prepay, so it's going to take a minute of detective work to figure out what she means.

Me: Okay, just give me a minute and I'll-
    SC: *goes back outside before I can finish my sentence*

A few seconds later, pump 4 starts beeping at me, showing she's waiting to pump. Well, i can't just give her $2 without knowing what the issue was in the first place, and I can't scroll through my register history while I'm doing a transaction. So I've got no choice but to try to get through my line with that obnoxious beeping noise coming from my register. At one point while another customer had the door open, I could hear her yelling at me to turn the pump on. I jump on the intercom and tell her the only thing I can think of, which is that if she payed with a card the $2 went back on her card. She responds that she didn't use a card, she payed cash, so I ask her to come back inside so i can figure it out. She stomps back inside.

SC: I want my $2! I didn't give you no card!
    Me: Ma'am, calm down and let me look up your receipt so I can-
    SC: You know what, forget it! *leaves and drives off*

A few minutes later the line finally dies down enough for me to look up her receipt. It shows that in addition to the the food and drinks she bought, she prepaid for $13 worth of gas. She probably actually asked for $15, but she had a bit of a southern accent so I must have misheard her, and because there were other items she didn't realize the total wasn't right. I only charged her for the $13, but she must have thought I charged her $15 and only put $13 on the pump. If she had actually let me get an entire sentence out, I could have sorted the whole thing out in two minutes.

Wherein I almost call the cops on two d-bags

Two random guys started arguing right in front of the registers, apparently over a woman. I was going to just ignore them until they went away, but then one accused the other of flashing a knife, and the other guy was all "come at me, bro", so we told them to leave. They went out in the parking lot, where they continued arguing, and it looked like it was in danger of getting violent, so CW told me to pick up the phone, and she stuck her head out the door and told them that we were calling the cops if they didn't leave. Thank god, that did the trick and they left with no further incident.

So, moral of the story: I missed you too, day shift. Yes, you're crazy, but you're the fun kind of crazy, whereas night shift is "hobo telling me about CIA mind control for 2 hours" kind of crazy.
    It doesn't matter if you win or lose, as long as you look really cool doing it! -- Julio Scoundrel, Order of the Stick

yeah cos knife-fights really determine who wins a girl right? That only works in the Highlander, but with swords.

Comment

Quoth Lady_Foxfire View Post
      *snip* If she had actually let me get an entire sentence out, I could have sorted the whole thing out in two minutes.

*snip*
      Yes, but that would have involved her thinking that other people actually have something worthwhile to say ...

Comment

Me: Sorry, ma'am, my coworker's almost done, and I really need to finish mopping.
        IL: WELL FINE THEN! *sets her stuff down on the donut case and storms out.

Seriously, if you have time to stop for cookies and soda, you can wait in line for thirty seconds.
        People will go out on Black Friday with 90 billion other people shopping, but god forbid they wait behind one other person any other day.

I was waiting at Michael's a few weeks ago, and this lady walks up to the register. The super-cheery clerk asks her to please join the line. She looks over at little old me, the ONLY PERSON waiting, with one item in my hands, and sneers "I'm not going to wait IN LINE for this!" Tossed it on the counter and stomped off.

You know, I would have even let her go first.

Comment

I'm thinking maybe they want their own special register just for them. You know so they can continue feeling "speshul"

Comment

Quoth PepperElf View Post
            yeah cos knife-fights really determine who wins a girl right? That only works in the Highlander, but with swords.
            There can be only one!

Comment

Working...
            X