This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fun with Germans

An oldie from 2003 just because I figure people need some cheering up!

When I flew into Frankfurt Airport I had a 6 hour layover for the train to Stuttgard. I wandered over to the train station end of things where there is a lovely cafe with fairly decent food. Since it was roughly breakfast time, most of the tables were full, but I scored one that just emptied, and ordered breakfast. A lovely couple of kids, probably 19-20ish, guy and gal and then another guy tagged along asked if they could share the table. They were thrilled to be able to practice English on me, we spent a couple hours and lots of coffee and snacks, and they paid for it all Then they helped me make sure I ended up on the correct train out. Great kids.

Then in Gaertringen, I got in the habit of wandering into the main street a few blocks away and shopping for stuff to make dinner with where I tended to go to a greengrocer, a small butchers shop and a small grocery. Even though there was a serious language block - I can pretty much use numbers and weights just fine and I pick up on names pretty well and can fit it all together into some fairly simple sentences we all managed pretty well though it really strained communications with the grocer when I wanted to get the stuff to make denver omelets Charades and jalapenos don't work well together! I think next time I am going to have an easier time of it with my tablet and some pictures of fruits and vegetables! Chris says next time he wants to take me to the victualienmarkt in Munich! The meat, the fruits, the veggies, the meats ...
    EVE Online: 99% of the time you sit around waiting for something to happen, but that 1% of action is what hooks people like crack, you don't get interviewed by the BBC for a WoW raid.
Working...
X