This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I got pulled over

Ok, I know the title sounds bad, but it turned out ok.

I own and operate a restaurant. We have been catering at a summer festival for several years, and this was the last week for this summer - thank goodness I might add - the 7:30AM-10PM days for me were getting old fast.

I was taking some of the stuff we weren't going to need for the rest of the night back to my car, to get a head start on packing up. I open my trunk and put it in. I close the trunk - and it pops back open. WTF!?! Try again - same result. FUCK! It looks like the latch is broken.

I keep working on it, and working on it. I climb into the trunk, with the back seat down to try to manually get it to latch - all while it's getting darker and darker outside.

Nothing worked. I was getting more and more frustrated. I was using some pop to hold the trunk down while I was trying to latch it, and I pushed the trunk enough to where it went flying, and exploding. Great, lost product. Lot's of M----RF----rs and other profanities were shouted.

Angry, frustrated, and stressed out, after about 40 minutes in I give up. Everyone else had left, and my partners had also already got everything else loaded up, and left for the store. I decided there was nothing I could do there, in the dark, to get it to stay shut. I leave to go to the store to drop off the stuff, and go the hell home to unwind, and take care of it in the morning.

Of course, as I was going back to the store, I see a police car right behind me. I knew I was going to get stopped, but continued on, and was going the speed limit, but I do anyway. As I turn off onto a side road, their lights came on, which I expected, and I pulled over.

They were asking me about it. I told them the truth. It just happened, I was going to my business to drop off stuff, and find something there to keep the trunk shut, and go home. The officer understood (I wasn't some idiot driving around with a trunk open on purpose, or too lazy to fix it), he tried to see if it would latch, and it didn't. He did have some duct tape and was able to get it secured and sent me on my way.

So, thank you officer for understanding. I will be getting it fixed tomorrow. But damn, my trunk latch picked a horrible time to break.
    "Life is tough. It's even tougher if you're stupid" Redd Foxx as Al Royal - The Royal Family - Pilot Episode - 1991.

The last time I got stopped (2 weeks ago) it was my second fix-it warning when I really should've gotten a ticket. My exhaust is not street legal; it's super-loud and leaky. He made a point to mention the potential danger to my health, which I think shows he cares about the people he's there to protect and serve. On top of that, there was another officer there, which wasn't really warranted in my case. I must've looked concerned or maybe a little panicked because he let me know the other guy was there only because they were doing drug stops [nothing to do with me in particular]. My overall feeling was that he stopped me because he should have, but once he understood why I was in that situation (couldn't afford to fix it, as I told him with defeat in my voice) he was compassionate and gave me a warning instead of a ticket.

And BTW, no worries--I'm junking the car, so no more semi-unsafe driving for me.
    "Is it hot in here to you? It's very warm, isn't it?"--Nero, probably

Comment

Working...
    X