This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dignified and generous, right to the end

Several years ago, I worked in a very friendly workplace (a small hardware store) - but, we were all going through a rough time - a very heartbreaking chain of events had shaken us all up:

- a very popular and kind AM lost his battle with cancer.
    - a young cashier had died in a car accident
    - fires had devastated much of the area -one of our regular customers sadly perished.

We were a tight knit workplace in a tight knit community, so it was no surprise when we all attended all of the funerals (including for the regular), and lent out tools for locals to rebuild (and help when we could).

These events though, seemed to be the final straw for the manager/owner. He called us employees to a meeting and told us that in three months, he was shutting down the business - for various reasons, it was definitely a shutdown.

He then told the community.

But he had a plan...

In the final week, the boss did the following:

- made sure all of us had a job to go to.
    - paid any and all relocation costs we may have had.
    - gave us all a very generous bonus.

But, it was what he did for the community, which was still coming to terms to the earlier disaster and heartbreak, that really showed everyone what a dignified and generous gentleman he was.

He opened up the shop one last time, not for a day's trade - but to give away everything. He even gave away his own furniture to a struggling family. He gave everything.

The last I saw of him, was when myself and a few others farewelled him at the bus stop (he was moving in with his son and his family) - he was dressed in his finest suit, hat, holding his suitcase.

2 months later, I found out that he had passed away peacefully in his sleep, surrounded by his son and his family.

Never will forget that man.

That is awesome!
    I'd tell you where to go, but I work there and I don't want to see you everyday.

My photo blog.

Comment

* some faith in humanity restored *
      AkaiKitsune
      Sarcasm dear, sarcasm. I’m well aware that dealing with civilians in any capacity will skin your faith in humanity alive, then pickle anything that remains so as to watch it shrivel up into an immortal husk thus reminding you of how dead inside you now are.

Comment

What a great memorial.
        This was one of those times where my mouth says "have a nice day" but my brain says "go step on a Lego". - RegisterAce
        I can't make something magically appear to fulfill all your hopes and dreams. Believe me, if I could I'd be the first person I'd help. - Trixie

Comment

Working...
        X