This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Left very nearly speechless

I had a woman come through my line yesterday and among her groceries was a $50 Visa gift card. I rang everything through and, as I always do, handed her the card personally so it didn't get lost in her grocery bags.

She handed it back and said "This is for you, for coming to work today."

Me: "Buh ... wah ... GAAAAHH ...."

Customer is laughing.

Me to supervisor: "Can I DO this?"

Supervisor: "Yep!"

Thankfully the woman was still there while I regained my ability to speak and I thanked her very profusely.
    Customer service: More efficient than a Dementor's kiss
    ~ Mr Hero

That was wonderful!
    Customers should always be served . . . to the nearest great white.

Comment

Awesome! Nice to see there's some decent people left.
      This was one of those times where my mouth says "have a nice day" but my brain says "go step on a Lego". - RegisterAce
      I can't make something magically appear to fulfill all your hopes and dreams. Believe me, if I could I'd be the first person I'd help. - Trixie

Comment

Quoth RealUnimportant View Post
        Awesome! Nice to see there's some decent people left.
        Now I just have to make a point of paying it forward.
        Customer service: More efficient than a Dementor's kiss
        ~ Mr Hero

Comment

When I started with the company I'm with, cashiers were absolutely forbidden to accept tips.
          I suspect the main reason was that they wanted to make security easy: if a cashier is standing at the register and puts money into their pocket, they have done something wrong.
          However, after a few years that policy got reversed.
          Word through the grapevine was: big winners on the lottery get pissed if you tell them they can't tip the cashier who sold them the ticket. So to keep the customers happy, cashiers may take tips.

When we couldn't accept tips, any time a customer left change we had to put it into the charity donations. Now, when they say "keep the change" it goes into my pocket. ("Donate it" still goes into the donation jar. To do otherwise is "mishandling funds".)
          I make about $3 a week that way, but occasionally a customer gives me more than $1.

Kudos on your windfall. And yeah, turn some of it into a windfall for others. Pick one of the homeless guys you can never afford to give money to, and today you can. (or something)

Comment

Working...
          X