Shoutout to these homeless dudes.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Shoutout to these homeless dudes.

So one of my jobs is currently a gas station in a really really shitty part of town. Working nightshift. Anyway, Thursday (going into Friday) I was so far behind on work that I was seeing Wednesday. Like it was 4am and I hadn't even finished the midnight stuff yet. Of course this is also when both cash out and the delivery truck decide to happen.

Anyway, these three homeless guys show up and I'm expecting the usual watch them to make sure they aren't stealing everything not nailed down (99% of our customers are stealing at this store and most don't even make an effort to hide it anymore as they know we can't do anything about it and the cops won't even show up anymore. Which was one of the reasons i was so behind that night. 27 ODs before my shift was even halfway over, someone locking themselves in the carwash on hallucinogenics, someone playing kingkong on the pumps and needing the firecrew to get them down, Link running around with an actual sword and shield high af slaying imaginary monsters in the parking lot, 2 domestics, and a car accident, and thats not even half of the shit that night. Around six the cops just prked a car around the corner because they were sick of leaving only to come back 5min later). Instead I'm pleasantly surprised when they ask if they can do anything to get a cup of hot coffee instead.which incidentally makes me realized just how jaded I've become working this job. It says something about humanity that 10yrs in the military didn't kill my faith in humanity as hard as 1yr in customer service certainly did.

I basically gave them a list. Floors, trash/recycle, parking lot, dishes (something I'm usually done within 15min of my shift start that's how far behind I was), facing, stocking etc. By the time I'm done cash-out and the delivery checkin (with one guy stocking shelves of backstock so the old stuff gets out first before the new stuff and his buddy stocking new stuff after him). I'm not only caught up but ahead a bit. You can bet the got their hot coffee...along with all the boxes of dayold donuts, all the technically expired so we aren't allowed to sell but still edible sandwiches...basically if it was anything in the store that I could give that wouldn't either get me fired or loss prevention involved (and if loss prevention wants to get up in arms about giving away the stuff we were going to throw out anyway I can always remind them that the federal law in Canada says that if you are open to the public at night you are required to have two ppl working for safety. You can guess how often that is followed). All in all they left loaded with food and drinks, enough so that I had to get one of the small garbage bags because they couldn't carry it all between the three of them.

I definitely wouldn't have finished all m tasks without them and my boss said in the morning that if they show up again offer them a job as it was the cleanest and most presentable the store had looked in years.

pro tip to anyone starving and broke. Hit up the gas stations at night. Most will shove food at you for doing simple tasks like emptying garbage or sweeping. Because technically we aren't allowed to step outside at night and we're usually dealing with so many problem people that we can't even finish the basic tasks.
    "It's a joke not a dick. No need to take it so hard."

“Here’s $10, go to Walmart and buy a houseplant. Carry it around to make up for all of that oxygen you waste.”

Surprise. Most homeless people do work, and work well. At minimum wage or on again/off again jobs like construction, so making rent these days is impossible. That's the key reason they're homeless. Losing income, and family all in one sudden blow and unable to get out no matter how they try.
    Customers should always be served . . . to the nearest great white.

Comment

That was wonderful. I work for one of those giant corporate grocery stores; I can just imagine the reaction of those same three guys showed up in there.

Comment

Quoth Kristev View Post
        Surprise. Most homeless people do work, and work well. At minimum wage or on again/off again jobs like construction, so making rent these days is impossible. That's the key reason they're homeless. Losing income, and family all in one sudden blow and unable to get out no matter how they try.
        I'm aware. It's just normally they trickle in one at a time and they want to do a quick job or two in exchage for food. The usual is a sweep & mop, take out the recycling. I wasn't expecting a crew to show up or them to actually do as much as they did even after they got the food and drinks they wanted.
        "It's a joke not a dick. No need to take it so hard."

“Here’s $10, go to Walmart and buy a houseplant. Carry it around to make up for all of that oxygen you waste.”

Comment

Working...
        X