You just said WHAT??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• You just said WHAT??

I was ringing customers through the other day and one of the supervisory-level people was helping my customers bag their purchases (some of the supervisors will do that ... because of course we no longer hire baggers).

One of the customers commented that it wasn't busy but still things seemed to be running a bit slowly.

Supervisor waves at me and the single other cashier who's working.

"We've only got two cashiers on. That's all we're allowed."

Me:

You actually just SAID that? To a customer??

I might have to revamp my thoughts about some of our supervisors.

I imagine the supervisor felt it was reasonable to explain that the decisions causing the issue were coming from above, so that complaints could be directed to someone who at least in theory can do something about it. Please note I said "can", not "will".

Makes sense to me.
    "Crazy may always be open for business, but on the full moon, it has buy one get one free specials." - WishfulSpirit

"Sometimes customers remind me of zombies, but I'm pretty sure that zombies are smarter." - MelindaJoy77

Comment

I see nothing wrong with them telling the shopper that.
      Customers should always be served . . . to the nearest great white.

Comment

I agree; if the customer hears that the decision is coming from Corporate that may prompt people to complain where it's warranted. My company does something similar with front-end scheduling; right now we have nowhere near enough cashiers and too many baggers (most of whom can't--as in aren't allowed/authorized to--do anything but bag).
        "I am quite confident that I do exist."
        "Excuse me, I'm making perfect sense. You're just not keeping up." The Doctor

Comment

Oh, I have no problem at all with the supervisor letting the customer(s) know that the short-staffing is on Orders from Headquarters. I was just rather startled to hear her say it so plainly.

We've got one or two (as in any job or profession) who try to tap-dance around the issue, so the customers just think it's some kind of divine manifestation or something, rather than a decision by people who are neither the ones trying to cope with a lineup, nor the ones who are standing IN that lineup.

Comment

I'd have no problem with that at all. It's just giving credit where credit is due.

Comment

Working...
            X