This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Department Manager Says Customer Is NOT Always Right

We have two divisions at work. The products are similar, but they use different manufacturing proceses and have different end uses.

Anyhow, the one department manager is very laid back, and he believes that the customer is ALWAYS right, and we yell at him for giving in far too often on BS complaints.

The other department manager is very intense. He's a good guy, but until you really get to know him, he can be a bit off-putting. He is firm in his belief that the old addage of "The Customer Is Always Right" is complete and total BS, and he isn't afraid to let SC's know it. He says, and I quote "Some customers you are just better off not having".

Intense manager's department makes a lot of customized stuff. It's complicated, and when we take orders, we are always sure to let customers know that they need to be sure that the specs they give us are correct, as it is a custom item, and we would have no other customer for it, and there are no returns. We have worksheets we use to help us figure out the calculations, but sometimes the situations are unique, and we defer all calls to him (at his direction to do so). We had a good one, and even better, he took the phone call in the main office, for all to enjoy.

SC- (no explanation needed)
    IM - Intense Manager
    CO - CoWorker
    ME - me

SC - I need to return this product - it's not working for what I need.
    CO - OK, let me pull your order. Oh......can you hold for a second?
    CO (to me) - Um, this guy wants to return a Specialized Widget
    ME - They can't do that. We tell them upfront that it's a custom item.
    CO - Ok sir, they're telling me that you can't return this item because it's customized.
    SC - This is ludicrous! I need to return this. It doesn't work right for what I need!
    CO (to me) - Now what?
    ME - Call IM and let him handle it. You can't do anything else for SC.
    CO (to IM) - This guy is on the phone and he's upset. He wants to return this.
    IM - NO WAY! It's a Specialized Widget - no returns. Who else would use it? I'll take it.
    IM (to SC): This is "Joe", can I help you?
    SC - I need to return this item - it doesn't work right for my needs.
    IM - Sir, as we explained when you order, we don't accept returns on these. They're customized for your application.
    SC - NO ONE TOLD ME THAT!!
    IM - Sir, I took your order personally, and I know I told you that. This is HIGHLY customized, and we'd have no other customer for it.
    SC - Well you made it wrong!
    IM - Sir, we made it to your specifications.
    SC - GET ME YOUR MANAGER!!!!
    IM - (louder, but not yelling) I AM THE MANAGER - OVER THE ENTIRE DIVISION!
    SC - ARE YOU GOING TO TAKE THIS BACK OR NOT?!?!?!?
    IM - (getting louder yet) NO, I'M NOT!
    SC - FINE - I'LL SEE YOU IN COURT!!!
    IM - Fine. Over (less than $200)? And you want to take it to court? Over this?? Sure - I'd love to meet Judge Judy. See you there.
    SC - (slammed phone down)

He can be a little trying at times, but I love Intense Manager at times like this.
    Oh yeah? Well I have a few words for you! Like YOU, and ARE, and A MORON!!!!

Be sure to let us know right away when he brings the lawsuit on.

I'll check back on this thread in five years!

Mike
    Meow.........

Comment

The Intense Mgr ROCKS!!!!!
      I don't get paid enough to kiss your a**! -Groezig 5/31/08
      Another day...another million braincells lost...-Sarlon 6/16/08
      Chivalry is not dead. It's just direly underappreciated. -Samaliel 9/15/09

Comment

Quoth cj1991 View Post
        "Some customers you are just better off not having".

Is he single? :P
        "If life ain't just a joke, then why are we laughing?" - Gerard Way

Comment

Working...
        X