This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wherein people are nice to a sick lil' frog

As predicted, I had almost no voice today. But since one of the cashiers is out of town, I really had no choice but to come in. I could still talk with effort, though not nearly loud enough to be heard over the games. I made do.

When I get there, W, the manager, puts me on Register 3, which is closest to the Hostess counter and gets far less traffic than Reg. 1. Also a little farther from the loud games, so I could be heard easier.

Then, B, a nice older lady who works the Prize Counter, gave me a throat lozenge. I had brought a whole bag of my own, but appreciated the gesture. ^^

This one isn't actually sicky-related, but it was nice. This woman is wearing a Pro-Obama hat and shirt (yeah... 4 days AFTER the election), and since no one is around and I like being nice, I make a pleasant comment about them. She seems very pleased and chats for a moment (she talks; I listen). She gets change from me a few times, then comes up for some boxes for their leftovers. I grab the 2 she requested, and she hands me a dollar tip.

I like getting tips, mainly because it's so rare. And this time, it was probably more because of my Obama comments. But, whatever. I was happy because I only had $2 with me, and the chicken salad I always get for dinner costs 3. Thanks to the tip, I didn't have to use my Debit card, which takes longer and usually holds up the line, since cashiers usually just run their own orders.

Next, a hostess (we'll call her Monday). She and I are kinda friends. I was puttering around, since there was no one in line, and just wander into the Hostess section. She sees me and says, "Hey, since i haven't talked to you in, like, a minute..."

"Probably because I can't talk at all," I croak back.

Mostly I'd been smiling and waving a greeting to the many, MANY employees there that night, instead of the cheerful "Hi" I normally do. So I"m not surprised some people didn't know I couldn't even talk.

She gets an expression, and asks if I"m alright. I explain that I"m a little sick and mostly losing my voice. Then she offers to talk to the customers for me, since I really can't, especially since I've been doing this for 3 hours and my voice is even worse. I thank her, but with effort I can get my point across. I DO say I'll call her if I need to get some people to my register. (When people are standing at another register, or just waiting for one to open and I have no customers, the correct procedure is to yell, "I CAN HELP THE NEXT PERSON IN LINE" and wave an arm overhead").

Then, about 8-ish, W tells me to cash out. I normally stay until 11, but... well, heck, I'm sick. I get cashed out, clean a soda machine and the hot chocolate maker, and go home. Things start slowing down around 8, so he let me leave as soon as they could get along without me.

My voice'll probably be even worse tomorrow, but I'll go in, anyway. Since that other cashier isn't in town, like I said. *grump* What a weekend to get sick. I'll just rest my voice until then.
    "For the love of all that is holy and 4 things that aren’t but feel pretty good anyway" ~ Gravekeeper

When I lost my voice for a while, I carried a notebook and pen with me.
    Now a member of that alien race called Management.

Yeah, you see that right. Pink. Harness.

Comment

Wouldn't do much good. Most of the stuff I have to explain is already printed on the price lists and various flyers. They just don't read. They want someone to explain it to them.

And writing all the totals and everything would take longer than pulling someone who can talk over to explain it. Which may be what I'll have to do tomorrow.
      "For the love of all that is holy and 4 things that aren’t but feel pretty good anyway" ~ Gravekeeper

Comment

Working...
      X