This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Great Manager, held job while sick

This is about the Manager of where I work.

When I moved to my current state I left a job where I had pretty good insurance. After starting my new job in August I signed-up for insurance through my new employer. Now my insurance from my previous employer ended at the end of September. My new insurance would not begin until November after a 3-month period, so I had a 1-month window with no insurance. What’s the worst that could happen, right?

Not.

After 3-days I really couldn’t get enough breath, my chest hurt badly, and I could barely stand upright. I tried to tough-it-out but half-way through my shift I figured something must really be wrong and I should go to the hospital. I told my supervisor (who was a real dick) and made sure that we had coverage, because I felt guilty leaving early. I didn’t know it at the time, but apparently I should have been given a ride to the ER or called an ambulance. What does my supervisor do? He gives me DIRECTIONS to the hospital. I’ve only lived in the state 2-months.

So I drive myself to the hospital (I get lost, then follow an ambulance with the hospital name because I figured it had to go back sometime).

Long story short, had I been in the car another 10-minutes or so I wouldn’t have made it to the hospital. It got worse in the ER and by the time I was through with blood tests, x-rays, MRIs and such I find out I have a Pulmonary Embolism that has led to an Infarct (basically I had a blood clot in my lung that cut-off oxygen to the lower lobe and the tissue was now dead from oxygen deprivation. This had irritated the sack of nerves around the lung, causing the pain). Then I learned that I’d have to be in the hospital for about 2-weeks…WITH NO INSURANCE!

I was frantic and called my supervisor, who didn’t answer his phone (he never did). I called a coworker to get the manager’s number (the supervisor’s boss). I had never really talked with the manager; she is known to be very strict and very tough and I was expecting to be let-go since I’d be missing about a month of work during my probationary period. I was pretty much crying when I spoke to her.

To my relief, she was more concerned with me getting better. She said they would be able to handle the scheduling, not to worry, and that she knew my reputation and the kind of worker I am and that my job would be waiting for me whenever I got back. It certainly made the recovery process a whole lot easier! She even imposed upon the supervisor when I got back that I was not to drive the company vehicle, as I was still on some pretty-heavy pain medication and other things that my body took some getting-used to. When the supervisor tried to stick something on me that I wasn’t capable of yet, she’d have him get someone else. When she found-out I’d driven myself to the hospital that night, she and several of the employees read him the riot act.

I still work for her. She is a very tough (which makes some people complain when they can’t get away with stuff), but understanding and fair boss. I’m only sorry I can’t name her publicly.
    "If anyone wants this old box containing the broken bits of my former faith in humanity, I'll take your best offer now. You may be able to salvage a few of em' for parts..... " - Quote by Argabarga

Wow...that is awesome! Your post actually restored some of my faith in humanity!!
    The report button - not just for decoration

Comment

Working...
    X