This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Do you have any in the back?

I think we all know hearing this line marks the start of a sucky customer. Except this time, there really was more in the back. Perhaps my being pleasant and a decent person helped magic it up? We know it never shows for the sucky type.

Here's the details:

Been rather hectic around the house here as well as some 250 miles northeast of here. Grandmother was in the hospital and there was talk of drastic measures being taken. My mother, strong woman she is, still needed some help up there, so my father went yesterday afternoon. Today, I knew I needed to get some groceries for the week, and so it meant a trip to the Kroger store.

Part of my list was 8 2-liters of the house brand cola (hey, some drink, some smoke, some do dope. My vice is caffiene). I was quite bummed when I'd walked up to the rack, and it was absolutely bare. I remembered a previous time when there was someone actually filling those shelves, and thought maybe they'd just not had a chance yet, and so I flagged down an employee and asked (politely, I might add) if they might be able to call to the back and have them check for my desired rotgut.

He explained if they did, they'd bring "one or two out". I told him how many I was after, and after apologizing for causing so much trouble (it didn't go quite as smoothly as I'd hoped), I asked if it was alright to do the rest of my shopping and check back. He said sure, and that if they did find any, I could pick 'em up at the Customer Service desk. So, I did, and checked back, fully expecting to hear "Nope, couldn't find any. Sorry about that", and whereupon I'd thank him for his effort and figure out what to do next.

Turns out that I went back and there were three on the counter. Score! I gather them and take them to the minicart I was using, and get told the rest would be on the way. I ask then if I can save the stock dude some steps, and intercept him as he nears the self-checkouts (only about 20 feet, but I'd've gone halfway to the back if I had to). I thank all parties heartily and pay, then head out.

So, what can we take away from this? Preaching to the choir here, but here's how I generally

1) Be polite. Know you're asking to be given a bit of special treatment, and keep your tone appropriate.

2) Don't expect to get a positive response. While the person responsible for the section your item is in may just 'not have gotten around to it', chances are higher that they have, and there was nothing to get to replace what was on the shelf.

3) Whether or not you were successful, remember Point No. 1 and thank the employee for their time and effort. If your inquiry takes more than about a minute (not all places have the walkie-talkies for communications, even today), also apologize for causing the hassle.

Same thing ealier this week. Went to my art supply store since I got a big fat coupon, so wanted a light box. I asked for the smallest one, which was on display, but said I'd prefer the one a size up which was not on display, if they had it.

They had 2, as a matter of fact. ^w^
    "For the love of all that is holy and 4 things that aren’t but feel pretty good anyway" ~ Gravekeeper

Comment

When I was a kid, "the back" was a sort of warehouse annex where unshelved items went. Hell, for the convenience store across the street, I could actually go "in the back" MYSELF and fetch something that hadn't been brought out front yet. (It was that kind of Norman Rockwell-y town that an eight year old on a mission to buy flour for Mum was permitted by kindly old Mr. Willoughby to nip in the back and take what was needed. Not like there was any other exit...)

I think that if I had to explain to a class why "in the back" no longer works, I'd state that it's because improvements in modern inventory systems have ensured that high-demand items are placed out front as they sell, so the likelihood of merchandise languishing in the back is much lower than it was when Grandma went shopping. An item that isn't in the front probably isn't in the back, either. Also, stores are capable of checking inventory systems at the register now - they can tell whether something's "in the back" without leaving the counter.

Help me with this theory - are people who ask, nay demand, that an employee ignore all the evidence of modern inventory systems to physically go groom the back-room shelves just for peace of mind older on average than other customers?

Love, Who?

Comment

Been a little while, and was trying to come up with a decent response. What I will say is that I think the timing (time of day, or even day of the week) was roughly similar to when I'd seen the employee stocking. My memory might be sketchy, but that's the impression I'd had.

But my purpose for posting this was to maybe give some of the people browsing anonymously an idea on how to do this right. If you'll read other threads, you only hear about the times when people get upset, and leads them to think that "Thou Shalt Never Ask About The Back", but I contend that as long as you only do so in moderation, when situationally-appropriate¹, and humbly, then it's alright.

¹: Compare the Wii in 2007 to this example. No store in their right mind would keep these 'in the back' if they're flying off the shelves. My item, in contrast, was something that sold fairly steadily, allowing for some to very likely BE there, and the employees just not having a chance to get to the shelves and restock. Big difference.

Comment

I read on another forum that when asked by an SC to "check the back" when the computerized inventory list showed none available, the sales assistants would go back and just take a break.

Good for you for finding your sodas due to the nice clerk!
          Last edited by Exaspera; 05-27-2010, 11:23 PM. Reason: added something
          Dull women have immaculate homes.

Comment

Working...
          X