This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Epic Teacher Comeback

I was reading some bad parenting threads over in Sucky Customers, and I suddenly remembered a great story from last year.

When I was in my final year of college, I had to pass a teaching internship in a public school classroom. I was placed in a 3rd grade class, and another girl from my same college was placed in a room down the hall from mine. This girl was AMAZING, and she was such a positive and likeable person that I think she'll go very far in teaching.

But while she was usually a fun person, she could lay down the law in her classroom if she needed to. I remember one incident where I went to go pick up my class from the lunchroom, and she happened to still be there with her own class. From what I overheard while waiting for my students to line up, one of her students had either been throwing food or trying to start a fight while at lunch. My colleague was getting the story from her students, and eventually came to find out it was a particular girl in her class who was causing the problem.

The moment she came to this conclusion, the guilty party started to cry (these are third graders, so they still cry if they get in trouble/are upset). That was when this new teacher turned and said one of the greatest things I've ever heard in my life - she looks the girl straight in the eye and says, "Uh, uh. No. Go get your Oscar somewhere else."

I almost busted out laughing.

While sometimes you need to be caring as a teacher, other times you need to put your foot down. I don't think people understand how many times kids will start to cry in order to gain sympathy. This girl knew she was caught and turned on the tears, but I don't think she got what she was looking for.

Yeah, note to any eight year olds - that whole "start wailing when you're in trouble" thing? Doesn't really work. I've never actually seen it work, in fact. Not even when I was eight years old and gave it a try. (My caregiver looked at the shattered window, then looked at my completely unmarked hand, which I swore was hurting something fierce, gave me a look fortified with contempt, and said, "You'll live." Yeah. Last time I tried that.)

The hell of it is, it probably works at home. Pre-empt your punishment by demonstrating that you feel really really bad about things already so there's no need for any sort of discipline, kthx.

Yeah. We have a word for that when grownups do it. "Cuff remorse."

Comment

Ha, I already call my kids on the waterworks. Little One is really good at spontaneous tears...but I know way better. Her grandma's a sucker for them.

WTG for that teacher though, wish more were like that nowadays!
      By popular request....I am now officially the Enemy of Normalcy.

"What is unobtainium? To Seraph, it's a normal client. :P" -- Observant Friend

Comment

Inspiring. Quite literally.
        Customers should always be served . . . to the nearest great white.

Comment

Quoth Ben_Who View Post
          Yeah, note to any eight year olds - that whole "start wailing when you're in trouble" thing? Doesn't really work.
          Works for me! Of course I've always gotten away with ANYTHING because one time my momma brought a gun to the school! (made of wood for a halloween parade prop) and she was the boss since then. My school even called up the college I was going to go to and warned them about her.
          I was always a good girl though, so it didn't matter. Worst thing I did was accidentally lose a caterpillar in third grade that ended up in the teacher's desk. Poor Oakey, he was never the same.
          Oh wook at teh widdle babeh dwaggin! How cyuuute babeh dwag-AAAAAAAUUUGGGHHHH! *nom*
          http://jennovazombie.deviantart.com

Comment

Quoth zombiequeen View Post
            Poor Oakey, he was never the same.
            Was Oakey the teacher or the caterpillar?

Comment

Quoth Mikkel View Post
              Was Oakey the teacher or the caterpillar?
              Please say it was the teacher.

I used the water-works a few times, even when I was 15. But then I was the one that finished that fight

The same girl had been bullying me for months and one day I just snapped. Took 4 teachers to separate us and 2 to drag me out of the class. I knew that I would get most of the blame, so I made a pre-emptive strike and burst into tears.

Teachers finally listened to what I had been saying for months about what was happening. She was banned from camp, along with 2 other girls who had tried to join the fight. And the original girl had to pay for the folder that I had broken while hitting her with it.

I was left alone after that. Apparently I'm scary when mad.
              A good bookshop is just a genteel Black Hole that knows how to read. - Terry Pratchett, Guards! Guards!

Comment

Oakey was the caterpillar. However, it then became the teacher's nickname. She freaked out and screamed for another teacher to come get it, and I was like "But Oakey's just a caterpillar! He won't hurt anybody!" The other teacher's called her Oakey after that.
                Oh wook at teh widdle babeh dwaggin! How cyuuute babeh dwag-AAAAAAAUUUGGGHHHH! *nom*
                http://jennovazombie.deviantart.com

Comment

While sometimes you need to be caring as a teacher, other times you need to put your foot down. I don't think people understand how many times kids will start to cry in order to gain sympathy. This girl knew she was caught and turned on the tears, but I don't think she got what she was looking for.
                  I've seen adults do it too. I myself did it... boot camp, when we first got cycled and the pushups were hard. we cried. it didn't work. I stopped.

then i saw the female in charge of our brother division... she was harder than her male counterparts. first time she cycled US women, i figured she'd be just as hard on us - if not harder - so i kept my mouth shut. some of the other women didn't. i was right. tears = more pushups. heh.

Comment

My middle aunt saw the same thing when she was in boot camp. The girlie girls who'd cry about how it would ruin their "makeup" (face paint) if they had to crawl through the mud.

My aunt, on the other hand, thought it was all sorts of fun.

^-.-^
                    Faith is about what you do. It's about aspiring to be better and nobler and kinder than you are. It's about making sacrifices for the good of others. - Dresden

Comment

Quoth zombiequeen View Post
                      Oakey was the caterpillar. However, it then became the teacher's nickname.
                      Poor Oakey.

Comment

Working...
                      X