This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How We Got Our Internet Back Faster Than Expected

I don't want anyone to get in trouble so I'm obfuscating some names here.

Yesterday morning a crew from ISP Alpha was working on the street outside of our office. We get our internet service from ISP Gamma.

Wouldn't you know it, but the ISP Alpha crew accidentally cut the Gamma line to our building.

Not knowing what happened we called Gamma who opened a trouble ticket and promised to look into it.

One coworker, I'll call Chuck, noticed the crew there and put two and two together. He thought about going out there and telling of the crew for cutting the line but thought again.

So he walked outside to mention what he thought *might* have happened to the Alpha crew. He was totally nice about it and really hoped they'd double check to see if maybe a Gamma line got cut by accident.

The crew leader told Chuck that regardless of how it broke, they weren't really allowed to touch equipment they don't own. Then he turned to the crew and told them to patch together the Gamma line they just cut.

Chuck did try to get the leader's business card so he could put in a good word for him at the company, but the fellow claimed he didn't have one and it was OK. Never did give his name.

Our guess is that he might get in trouble for either cutting the line or fixing it (or both) so we went along with that.

Chuck told me this and said that he's listened to me being patient and pleasant on the phones when I'm clearly frustrated and upset. He figured he'd try that tactic on the work crew. I guess being charming works like, well, a charm.
    The best karma is letting a jerk bash himself senseless on the wall of your polite indifference.

The stupid is strong with this one.

Depending on what they're doing and what the line is for, cutting the wrong thing can be a case of summary dismissal for an entire crew.

My uncle was on a crew that got canned because someone else managed to take out something important that they shouldn't have ever even touched.

^-.-^
    Faith is about what you do. It's about aspiring to be better and nobler and kinder than you are. It's about making sacrifices for the good of others. - Dresden

Comment

Pretty much what I suspected. That's the reason I'm being vague here and the reason Chuck dropped it when he caught the vibe from the crew leader.

We know he really stuck neck out to do the right thing and fix what their mistake (which I'm sure was a complete accident).

If anyone from either company were to come ask us (unlikely), we'll have no idea what they're talking about.
      The best karma is letting a jerk bash himself senseless on the wall of your polite indifference.

The stupid is strong with this one.

Comment

Colonel Klink at his best: "I know nuthink!"
        I am not an a**hole. I am a hemorrhoid. I irritate a**holes!
        Procrastination: Forward planning to insure there is something to do tomorrow.
        Derails threads faster than a pocket nuke.

Comment

to Team Alpha

Comment

Yeeee... for once, clandestine maneuvering went well and was for Good!
            Yaaay~
            "Is it the lie that keeps you sane? Is this the lie that keeps you sane?What is it?Can it be?Ought it to exist?"
            "...and may it be that I cleave to the ugly truth, rather than the beautiful lie..."

Comment

Working...
            X