This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Compliment sent to corporate

So one of the neighboring stores has been absolutely hemorrhaging employees. I think about 1/3 of their staff has quit over the past 2 weeks. I got sent down to help them out on Wednesday.

Anyway, I screwed up nicely - there were 3 orders going to, we'll call it Oak St. 1 is in the opposite direction, as the store is on Oak, with the other 2 going the same direction. I check out the 2 going the same direction, but grab one of the correct orders and the one going the other direction.

I realized what I did after the first delivery, called the store, manager on duty had already noticed something was wrong. Ask her to assign the order I did grab to me so that I could go ahead and deliver it - no sense in taking it back to the store and letting it sit until someone else could grab it. Also asked her to unassign me from the one I left so someone could deliver it.

Well, she assigned the one I grabbed to me just fine. But left the other order to sit. By the time I got back to the store (lots of traffic + some closed streets due to some kind of event down the road), that order was well over an hour old. I get back, they say she's called twice (... why the fuck did you guys NOT send it out with one of the other 10 drivers? really?) and was pissed. I deliver it and refuse payment, and for maybe the third time in my 11 years of working for tips, refused a tip. I told the customer it was (mostly) my fault the order was so late and I couldn't justify accepting a tip.

She called corporate and apparently gave a glowing/raving review, which was passed along to me by my boss the next day, along with the typical pat-on-the-back, good-job!

Also, tips are much better at the store I was filling in at, but holy crap the management sucks (specifically the assistant manager). I can see why they've been dropping like flies. I filled in there again tonight (for 2 hours, wooo) and somehow walked out with $45 for 5 deliveries - I should have had about $20. I don't know what happened there, and the GM didn't seem to give two craps about it when I mentioned "Uh, no, this isn't right, I should be leaving with about half of this".

$20 for FIVE deliveries?! that's riduculous..$4 per delivery..good Lordl i tip my delivery guy a MINIMUM of $5 (usually more cuz I order for a group of teenagers--they're ALWAYS hungry) and I am literally less than half a mile from the store...

But UBER respect for the compliment! Gotta love when they do that.

Comment

Actually, these days, $4 per run is probably about double the average tip in many areas >_>

It really depends on the store and the delivery area. When I was at DaddyJim's a decade ago, runs to Doctor's Row were always either $5-10 or nothing (former: people who worked for a living; latter: heirs, generally)...Runs to huge apartment complexes: we considered ourselves lucky if 4 out of 5 tipped as HIGH as $2 (#5 = automatic stiff). The drivers at ..er...."dice pizza"....whose stores often target lower-income areas, are known for much lower tips and higher stiff rates. They're generally regarded as a last resort place to work as a driver. On the flip side, when I was at "unclothed italian pie", which skewed a bit higher due to their "healthier/not as bad for you" aspect of the food, my average tip was $4~5. I got the odd stiff or "keep the change" (less than a buck), as well as more $10 tips than anywhere else I had ever worked, so it balanced out.

I have a simple house rule for ordering pizza in groups, especially large ones: Everybody chips in a buck. If anyone wants to give more, awesome. That way, nobody has to shoulder an unfair portion, and the driver is usually quite happy with the result ^_^
      "For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
      "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
      "Thinking is difficult, therefore let the herd pronounce judgment!" ~ Carl Jung
      "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
      "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
      "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)
      Acts of Gord – Read it, Learn it, Love it!
      "Our psychic powers only work if the customer has a mind to read." - me

Comment

Working...
      X