This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Quoth DGoddessChardonnay View Post
    Sounds pretty cool so far. Still waiting to be notified that my download is ready (have reserved it on my Toshiba laptop.)
    After reading this thread I clicked on the little icon in my notification area, and like the others mine had downloaded without asking. I have the slowest internet Comcast provides, I have no idea how I didn't notice this.

Since I just have the one computer I'm waiting before I do the switch. I have 8.1 and have it tweeked so that it appears like 7, and right now it's fine.
    Last edited by notalwaysright; 07-31-2015, 05:51 PM.
    Replace anger management with stupidity management.

Comment

My mother had issues with her laptop when she installed Windows 10. I've had to fix its inability to connect to the network upon startup by bypassing that and connecting later. Then I had to help her set up her Favorites again for Microsoft's Edge browser, and now, I've had to help her find her Mahjonng game.

At least she paid me $100.00. I can only imagine the complaints that will roll in when SCs start installing Windows 10.
      cindybubbles (👧 ❤️ 🎂 )

Enter Cindyland here!

Comment

For us self-important blustery-geeky power users ^_^ I have good news: GodMode still works! And you can rename it now (not sure if this was possible before).

For the uninitiated (bring out the goat!), it's a special folder you can create that gives you access to 90+% of every fiddly little setting you'd ever want to play with within Windows. Yes, messing with this can FUBAR your system if you don't know what you're doing, but it can still come in handy when you just need to use it as "Control Panel on steroids."

Just make a new folder -- doesn't matter where, tho the Desktop is probably best, and give it this name *exactly*:

Code:
        GodMode.{ED7BA470-8E54-465E-825C-99712043E01C}
        You can replace the word "GodMode" with whatever you like (and yes, the period after the name is mandatory). Hit Enter and the folder icon will change into a Control Panel-like icon, then double click that and you should be good to go.

This should also work in 7/8/8.1 and 10 Preview (if that is still accessible)
        "For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
        "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
        "Thinking is difficult, therefore let the herd pronounce judgment!" ~ Carl Jung
        "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
        "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
        "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)
        Acts of Gord – Read it, Learn it, Love it!
        "Our psychic powers only work if the customer has a mind to read." - me

Comment

Quoth EricKei View Post
          For us self-important blustery-geeky power users ^_^ I have good news: GodMode still works! And you can rename it now (not sure if this was possible before).
          Oh sweet!

(And yes, it could be renamed before. Mine is named Advance Control Panel. Just rename it after you create it.)
          I AM the evil bastard!
          A+ Certified IT Technician

Comment

Super special chocolatey goodness with a cherry on top: You can rename the Recycle Bin, too, in W7 and later. Mine got dubbed "Shitcan" the last time I did this. Requires some Registry tweaking, tho, so do at your own risk. Dunno if it works in 10.

http://www.wikihow.com/Rename-the-Windows-Recycle-Bin
            "For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
            "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
            "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
            "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
            "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)

Comment

I so want to be able to make that GodMode folder, but I just know the people at work will poke around in it and screw things up royally. The easy for me to use it would be majorly offset by the amount of work I'd have to do fixing things.
              Sorry, my cow died so I don't need your bull

Comment

I wouldn't worry too much about it. The GodMode is largely a Control Panel for Power Users. Instead of having to navigate the increasingly obtuse standard control panel you open it up and find quick access links. There's really nothing in there that doesn't already exist, it's just easier to access.

If that still concerns you, just park the GodMode in a folder that's out of the way. It sounds like they're not bright enough to search for it.
                I AM the evil bastard!

Comment

I have the snarking suspicion that the myriad "Hot Sheep!" moments in Windows are the result MS zecks going "Oooo! Shiny!" at random shop windows on Avenue Q.

They'd never have thought of "doin' the dog" like that without some inspiration from animal pr0n...
                  I am not an a**hole. I am a hemorrhoid. I irritate a**holes!
                  Procrastination: Forward planning to insure there is something to do tomorrow.
                  Derails threads faster than a pocket nuke.

Comment

EE - Also, remember that you can tuck GodMode away wherever you like, and NAME it anything you like (it apparently just needs to be one "word").

Comment

I upgraded from Win8.1 Pro to the Win10 Insider Preview, now Win10 Pro. I liked it so much, I just upgraded my main desktop from Win7 Pro to Win10 Pro. It kept almost everything intact - my drive mapping (I use an SSD drive for Windows and have Office and small programs/apps installed on that, I remapped my Documents, Pictures, and Downloads folders to a large optical data drive and installed all of my games on another large optical drive), my program installs, and desktop. I just had to reinstall my graphics and printer drivers, and my version of CPUID's PC Wizard doesn't work. All in all, relatively painless. I did use Microsoft's Media Creation Tool to create an .iso of Win10 in case I want to do a fresh install; now I have to find my copy of ProduKey to find out my Win10 Product Key.

Nice call on GodMode, I completely forgot about that! Now I don't have to go all over in Windows to maintain my desktop!

Comment

Quoth EvilEmpryss View Post
                        I so want to be able to make that GodMode folder, but I just know the people at work will poke around in it and screw things up royally...
                        Do you have (& use) individual logons? If the GM folder can be put in a private location, only for you...
                        I am not an a**hole. I am a hemorrhoid. I irritate a**holes!
                        Procrastination: Forward planning to insure there is something to do tomorrow.
                        Derails threads faster than a pocket nuke.

Comment

Those with HP laptops, has there been any win 10 hiccups? My system is still kinda new (win 8.1, i3 processor, bought in late Feb)

Comment

You could probably nest the GodMode folder within another folder -- and password-protect the "parent" folder.

Comment

Has anyone else heard about Windows 10's security issues? One of its features tries to share the password to any wi-fi network you've connected to with your Facebook friends, and the ToS states:
                              We will access, disclose and preserve personal data, including your content (such as the CONTENT OF YOUR EMAILS, other private communications or files in private folders), when we have a good faith belief that doing so is necessary to.
                              (Caps for emphasis)
                              The fact that jellyfish have survived for 650 million years despite not having brains gives hope to many people.

You would have to be incredibly dense for the world to revolve around you.

Comment

Well once again, there's too much rhetoric going both ways about the OS and various aspects of it to take any of it seriously. I'll wait till that calms down and some of the serious issues are dealt with.
                                I AM the evil bastard!

Comment

Working...
                                X