Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Both computers got to acting up so bad, Monday I reverted my laptop back to 7. After losing my sound and getting it back, I then started getting a damn flashing message box in the corner about the Live Photo Gallery not working . . . Windows couldn't find the upload file and to open iCloud and select another folder.

After trying that for about 30 minutes and still being plagued, I revered back. Then, after it reverted back to 7, got the same message so I just broke out the restore discs and reformatted back to original (out of box) state.

Then on Tuesday evening I was getting a error message about missing .NET framework files, so went through with another reformat and everything seems okay now . . . just running Windows Update (had installed a bunch of stuff last night and still 189 updates to go.)

My brother's PC has been nothing short of frustrating for him, which means I have to hear LOTS of screaming, cussing, total chaos! He spent almost all afternoon Monday on the phone and on online chat w/MS support, trying to get somethign fixed on the Edge browser and the desktop got stuck in safe mode (Windows 10 will automatically load instead of prompting you to choose which operation you want upon reboot, as with previous versions) so I told him I couldn't help him with that and his best bet was to just revert back to 7 and leave the damn thing alone. He's getting a new computer next year and by the time we do get one, Windows 10 will have a lot of these issues worked out.

I've got ZERO patience for hysterics and ZERO for attitude. I want quiet when I'm home, not damned drama 24/7. It is NOT too much to ask for.

Windows 10 so far has been nothing short of frustrating . . . I'll give this experiemnt a 1 - and that's being generous.
    Human Resources - the adult version of "I'm telling Mom." - Agent Anthony "Tony" DiNozzo (NCIS)

Comment

Ara -- for a class, in particular, they will likely assume win7 or 8, so stick with that. Most schools/instructors want to stick with something familiar and easy to troubleshoot.
      "For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
      "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
      "Thinking is difficult, therefore let the herd pronounce judgment!" ~ Carl Jung
      "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
      "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
      "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)
      Acts of Gord – Read it, Learn it, Love it!
      "Our psychic powers only work if the customer has a mind to read." - me

Comment

Quoth EricKei View Post
        Ara -- for a class, in particular, they will likely assume win7 or 8, so stick with that. Most schools/instructors want to stick with something familiar and easy to troubleshoot.
        I'll do that then.
        The fact that jellyfish have survived for 650 million years despite not having brains gives hope to many people.

You would have to be incredibly dense for the world to revolve around you.

Comment

He did finally get it to unfreeze. Found an update on the Microsoft website that actually worked. Now to get mine to work. It was 13% loaded on mine then all of a sudden just restored windows 7. It's a Dell and he found some website that said other Dells had had this problem. He found some corrupted files so we are going to try a reinstall for windows 7 and then try to install 10 again.
          "They gave me a badge with my name on it. In case I forget who I am." Dr Who - Closing Time

"I reject your reality and substitute my own." Adam Savage-Mythbusters

Comment

Quoth EricKei View Post
            What the hell. Time for something 10 is doing right

http://www.lifehacker.com/windows-10...ave-1723617404
            That is cool. I can see using it to record step-by-steps for some of the computerized test-scoring processes used in the office... IF we ever update to Win 10. I found articles today saying that even when you go through all the possible opt-out options, you're still giving Microsoft an open line into your computer, and that just isn't kosher.

I was bounced from tech support to their store to licensing today and put on hold for an hour before the call was dropped, all trying to get an answer from Microsoft directly on how to make Win 10 HIPAA compliant. I finally wrote a letter to NBC (local affiliate and the Today show) pointing out the potential nationwide HIPAA violations going on and asking them if they can get an answer. I am absolutely certain that if there is a way of making the system compliant, there are thousands of private practices across the US who are in the same boat I am and do not know about it.
            Sorry, my cow died so I don't need your bull

Comment

EvilEmpryss, find microsofts twitter and ask the question there. I bet you get an answer right quick.

Comment

EE - a more primitive version of this exists on Win 7 -- type "problem steps recorder" or "psr" into the start menu. This will generate a HTML file with static images on mouseclicks and the like -- which may actually be easier to use for people who prefer to work at their own pace.
                "For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
                "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
                "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
                "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
                "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)

Comment

I finally installed Windows 10 two days ago. Edge has a BIG problem with font style and font sizes, so I'm still going with Chrome.

I'm glad that Windows 10 let me keep my programs and files, though.
                  cindybubbles (👧 ❤️ 🎂 )

Enter Cindyland here!

Comment

Quoth dbuzman View Post
                    EvilEmpryss, find microsofts twitter and ask the question there. I bet you get an answer right quick.
                    I'd have to get a twitter account, tho.

I'm content to see what the news people find out. Considering that a HIPAA investigation can bankrupt a small practice, this is a serious concern.
                    Sorry, my cow died so I don't need your bull

Comment

• I'm relegating 10 to a flash drive until I get a chance to fix everything that went horribly wrongplay around with it at my dad's. I'm using the media creation tool, but am still being prompted to schedule a forced upgrade on the desktop (DO NOT WANT). I'm assuming the product key it's referring to is my key for 7.

Is there any way to circumvent that scheduled upgrade, or am I stuck with it?
                      "I am quite confident that I do exist."
                      "Excuse me, I'm making perfect sense. You're just not keeping up." The Doctor

Comment

• Quoth Dreamstalker View Post
                        I'm relegating 10 to a flash drive until I get a chance to fix everything that went horribly wrongplay around with it at my dad's. I'm using the media creation tool, but am still being prompted to schedule a forced upgrade on the desktop (DO NOT WANT). I'm assuming the product key it's referring to is my key for 7.

Is there any way to circumvent that scheduled upgrade, or am I stuck with it?
                        To keep that pesky icon from showing up and bugging the ever living bejeesus out of you, go into your Installed Updates inside Windows Update and uninstall the KB303583 update.

I did this the other evening and so far, I've not been pestered w/the Get Windows 10 icon in the taskbar.
                        Human Resources - the adult version of "I'm telling Mom." - Agent Anthony "Tony" DiNozzo (NCIS)

Comment

• That, or a registry tweak. Pick your poison.

http://winsupersite.com/windows-10/d...e-notification

Comment

• Quoth DGoddessChardonnay View Post
                            To keep that pesky icon from showing up and bugging the ever living bejeesus out of you, go into your Installed Updates inside Windows Update and uninstall the KB303583 update.
                            I removed the update and that worked for about a day. The icon is now back again (after Windows installed another 'update' on shutdown)...WHY? It must know I already downloaded 10...

Further googling shows that the update nag is connected to a few other updates as well as two Task Scheduler items. Eh, I'll deal with that when I get back from vacation...

The bug came back
                            the very next day.
                            The bug came back, I thought it was a goner but
                            The bug came back,
                            It just wouldn't go awaaaay.
                            "I am quite confident that I do exist."
                            "Excuse me, I'm making perfect sense. You're just not keeping up." The Doctor

Comment

• You have to uninstall that update, then manually check for updates and *hide* that specific one.

Comment

• More info -- per RPS, it seems that games bearing certain types of invasive DRM may not work in win10...maaaaaybe good, maaaaaybe bad.

http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2015...c-securom-drm/

Comment

Working...
                                X