Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

For those of you who work phones; DO NOT try to guess the customer's gender!!

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'm 36 and I still think any saying Mr. <mysurname> is addressing my dad.
    "I can tell her you're all tied up in the projection room." Sunset Boulevard.

Comment

Quoth Phoenix79 View Post
      When I worked at Gateway in a call center, I would always write down the name of the person calling (asking for their name was the first question I opened the call with after my greeting).

Then, instead of Ma'am or Sir, I would just use their name. It worked great, and the quality control folks loved it because it gave the call a more personal feel.

So glad I don't work in a call center any more . . . my condolences (and much respect!) to those of you who do work in one!!

Phoenix
      At my call centre it is one of the SOPs that we personalise the call with the caller's name, eg Thank you for calling Joe Bloggs. Sometimes, of course, the message is pls call your Dad, and occasionally, at the end of the message, I will say thank you for calling Dad!

Comment

Quoth DannyboyO1 View Post
        And, of course, the people who take actual offense at being called such... have no suggestions for what else to use.
        'Xir'. If you can pronounce it, congrats. Most of us can't. 'Us' being trans/a-gendered... I personally say it like 'shear', but I don't know if that's correct, and, just like furres, you will not get the same answer between any two people as to whether that's acceptable/whatever.
        "I call murder on that!"

Comment

Quoth Juwl View Post
          'Xir'. If you can pronounce it, congrats.
          Hmmm, I'm hearing 'Zir' in my head, but that could just be the little troll who wants to burn the training room down. I have to keep him on a short leash.
          The Rich keep getting richer because they keep doing what it was that made them rich. Ditto the Poor.
          "Hy kan tell dey is schmot qvestions, dey is makink my head hurt."
          Hoc spatio locantur.

Comment

Quoth Primer View Post
            When I was 16, I worked at a local fried chicken place. We had a person that sold flowers on our corner. Said person wore dresses, but was obviously (at least genetically) male. (S)he came in an placed an order with me, and when I finished serving him/her, I said, "Thank you, sir...er...ma'am...er...." and blushed and apologized profusely. (S)he said, smiling, "That's ok, I've been called much worse!"
            Usually, if someone is wearing a dress, it's ok to default to addressing her as female.

At least that's what spending years in the GLBT community has taught me
            DJ Particle

Comment

Quoth Geek King View Post
              Hmmm, I'm hearing 'Zir' in my head, but that could just be the little troll who wants to burn the training room down.
              Ditto for Zir, which I guess would be like Miz and Miss.

I go with Emi on the appearance thing. If they're trying to look female, I use feminine pronouns, male accoutrement gets male pronouns, and when in doubt I take my best guess and then switch if they correct me. Always figured awkwardness and embarrassed stuttering would be worse than guessing wrong.
              Last edited by JustADude; 09-21-2007, 06:34 AM.
              ...WHY DO YOU TEMPT WHAT LITTLE FAITH IN HUMANITY I HAVE!?! -- Kalga
              And I want a pony for Christmas but neither of us is getting what we want OK! What you are asking is impossible. -- Wicked Lexi

Comment

Working...
              X