X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Did Any Of You Ever Got That One?

I was doing support for an ISP, a guy rang and said:

I downloaded the Internet. Now what do I do?

I was stunned by the question....

Leave an internet for everyone else to use!
    Bears are bad. If an animal is going to be mean it should look so, like sharks and alligators. - Mark Healey

Comment

I haven't had that specific one in a while. But, I have been getting a lot of "the computer is making a lot of noise" complaint. Of course, it is never recreated. The stupidest one I had was of a customer complaining that a high-pitched noise that sounded like feedback from a speaker was coming from his computer. He insisted that this happened while his computer was turned off and had the power cord unplugged. He also insisted that I let his computer sit on my bench for 2 days until the problem was created. So the computer sat on my bench with no power or anything and it did nothing, as expected.

Comment

Quoth wizzie1967 View Post
        I downloaded the Internet. Now what do I do?
        Heh... assuming you have the bandwidth to do it, you could actually slap the whole internet on an EMA (Extremely Massive Array).

Some guys got all giggly at the idea of Terabyte HDs and started messing around on how to create and house an array of physical discs to create a single logical drive with enough storage capacity to do exactly that. Dunno how far they got, though.
        ...WHY DO YOU TEMPT WHAT LITTLE FAITH IN HUMANITY I HAVE!?! -- Kalga
        And I want a pony for Christmas but neither of us is getting what we want OK! What you are asking is impossible. -- Wicked Lexi

Comment

There's actually a theory floating around that Google keeps a copy, or perhaps even multiple copies, of everything on the web entirely in RAM.

A little mind-boggling, isn't it?

Comment

Quoth MacPrince View Post
            entirely in RAM.
            *faints*

x
            xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
            I think, therefore I am. But I am micromanaged, therefore I am not.

Comment

Quoth MacPrince View Post
              There's actually a theory floating around that Google keeps a copy, or perhaps even multiple copies, of everything on the web entirely in RAM.

A little mind-boggling, isn't it?
              Mind-boggling, but possible. Google is, after all, the high source and fount of Google-Fu. I would put NOTHING past them, not even having several yottabytes of RAM set aside to cache the whole Farking internet.
              ...WHY DO YOU TEMPT WHAT LITTLE FAITH IN HUMANITY I HAVE!?! -- Kalga
              And I want a pony for Christmas but neither of us is getting what we want OK! What you are asking is impossible. -- Wicked Lexi

Comment

Google is my dream employer... along with half the rest of the world. They have an amazing amount of data storage. Like they have an entire building dedicated to servers. I wonder how many terrabytes they have? Maybe they've moved up to petabytes? (not sure if I spelt that right)
                Jim: Fact: Bears eat beets. Bears. Beets. Battlestar Gallactica.
                Dwight: Bears don't eat bee... Hey! What are you doing?
                The Office

Comment

Working...
                X