This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SCs specific to Microsoft

Everyone who reads this that works in the tech support field has seen the level of ignorance that customers can have when dealing with a problem with the magic box that sits on their desk. I thought I would share more of the insanity that specifically pertains to customers of the 'Evil Empire'.

"My Microsoft is broken..."

This one just kills me. I understand that some companies might make only one product, and that by referring to the company name instantly tells you what you're dealing with, but...this isnt Intuit you're talking about. The conversation usually goes like this:

Me: "Thank you for calling Microsoft, how may I help you?"
    SC: "Yeah, I can't get my Microsoft to work."
    Me: "Which product are you talking about, sir? Windows? Office?"
    SC: "My Microsoft! I got it on my computer here and its telling me I cant get on th' Internet!"
    Me: "..." (Because the next thing I have to find out is what VERSION of Windows they are using, and if we're having this much trouble just identifing the product...well, at least I brought my own lunch...and I have a NERF bat in my cube to beat things with in effigy)

"They said you'd fix it!"

This is a big peeve. There are those few lowlife tech support folks that will take any cop out they can to get rid of a customer they don't want to deal with, so sooner or later they whip out the 'This is a Microsoft problem, you need to call them' line, even when it has nothing to do with Microsoft.

Me: "Thank you for calling Microsoft, how may I help you?"
    SC: "I'm having trouble running a query on my Oracle 9 database."
    Me: "....ah, sir, you realize you called Microsoft?"
    SC: "Yeah, the Dell tech told me to call you. He said they don't troubleshoot servers."
    Me: "Did the Dell technician give any reason why you should call Microsoft rather than the company that makes that product...namely, Oracle?"
    SC: "Well, no...but don't you guys fix anyone's stuff that runs on Windows?"

Uh no, no, we don't. We have enough fun fixing our own stuff, I'm sure as hell not so bored that I'll start fixing someone else's code problems. What gets me are the hardware issues. I've posted before about someone calling me to get his PS3 controllers fixed. What?? Dude, MS is huge, but we have yet to eat Sony.

Yet.

And my favorite:

"Bill Gates is so rich...."

"...(insert reason to be a cheapskate here)"

This gets whipped out when someone is asked to pay for something. I know others here have seen this behavior in other jobs, but I'm mentioning it here because of the 'Gates' factor.

People seem to get the idea into their head that because BillG has made so much money, this excuses them from doing things like paying for that anti-virus program so their machine doesn't get infected while online...or having to pay a technician to fix the machine they fubar'ed because they went online without an AV or firewall installed, or ignored the BIG WARNINGS for things like 'please disable your anti-virus program before installing this product'. He should just pay for all of their ignorance. Uh...the Henry Ford estate doesnt pay you money when you have an accident as a bad driver...do they?

Oy.

Quoth UncleImpy View Post
    Uh...the Henry Ford estate doesnt pay you money when you have an accident as a bad driver...do they?

Oy.

Please, please, please, don't give them any ideas!
    "But I don't want to be among mad people."
    You can't help that. We're all mad here. Every fucking one of us.

Comment

Your SCs are more universal than you think. Even though I don't work for Microsoft, we get those same SCs. Given that we are much smaller software company (fewer than 15 employees), you'd think we wouldn't get that last one, but we do...

"I paid all kinds of money to other companies for a new computer, a new operating system, a new [hardware device] and Office 2003. Now you're telling that the version of YOUR software I bought fifteen years ago won't work with Office 2003 and I need to PAY for an update?

"You should be ashamed. Don't you know that I'm broke from paying other companies for a bunch of new stuff and don't have anything left to pay you greedy bastards for an update? What am I supposed to do?"

The best karma is letting a jerk bash himself senseless on the wall of your polite indifference.

The stupid is strong with this one.

Comment

Some people need to be surgically detached from technology....lol.

Comment

Dips, I think you just made me feel better Wanna borrow my NERF bat?

Comment

Quoth UncleImpy View Post
            and I have a NERF bat in my cube to beat things with in effigy)
            Our home service tech has that too! Only it's a real bat, not a nerf one, and he takes it on calls...

We have enough fun fixing our own stuff,
            Is it wrong that I got the giggles out of this on the feeling it's microsoft products?
            I AM the evil bastard!
            A+ Certified IT Technician

Comment

I don't mean to hijack this thread, but since you work for Microsoft can you tell me what you do with all those "You chose to end the program "X" Please tell Microsoft about this problem?"
              Testing
              "I saw a flock of moosen! There were many of 'em. Many much moosen. Out in the woods- in the woodes- in the woodsen. The meese want the food. The food is to eatenesen."

Comment

Quoth Caveat Emptor View Post
                I don't mean to hijack this thread, but since you work for Microsoft can you tell me what you do with all those "You chose to end the program "X" Please tell Microsoft about this problem?"
                I don't work for Microsoft, but our company manufactures a Windows application. Choosing to "tell Microsoft about the problem" sends a text file with information about what was going on with the program before it stopped responding or crashed. The files don't identify you or your computer, just configuration/OS/settings and whatever made the application throw up

If the software that threw up is made by a third party who has signed up with the Microsoft developers program, such as ourselves, Microsoft will forward the files to us.

We definitely find the data useful in fixing serious issues with our software and making improvements. We will often see issues and get them fixed before any of our customers tell us about it and it's much easier to gather information that way than try to get customers to answer 900 questions to pin down an issue.

I've also noticed that if you send in the info about an MS product, they will sometimes link you to an article describing the problem and offer to notify you when it is fixed. Which is nice.
                The best karma is letting a jerk bash himself senseless on the wall of your polite indifference.

The stupid is strong with this one.

Comment

Working...
                X