This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Further adventures of the nonagenarian computer user

So, I got sent out on a service call again this afternoon....

He had managed to re-associate .lnk files (shortcut files, for all you non techies) to open with Internet Explorer, and he had managed to de-associate .exe files so that they wouldn't open at all.

I know that he was fiddling, because the last program ran in the run dialog box was regedit, and it was open to HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT. (Where all the file associations mapping is tracked) also, in the Folder Options panel, under the .lnk extension, he had typed something.

But, I managed to get it fixed, and he is up and running again, and I got a $20 tip, so I'm not complaining too loudly.
    "Sir... sir... diagnosing computer problems over the phone is like diagnosing brain cancer with a pointy stick"
    -ahanix1989, inspired by bash.org

Did he admit

Did he admit to messing up the system? If not, bet you see him next week.

Comment

He didn't admit to any of that in particular. He only admitted to messing with some Internet Explorer settings. It'll be a few more weeks at least... This guy is one of our more frequent customers, but he can usually go that long without messing up his computer.
      "Sir... sir... diagnosing computer problems over the phone is like diagnosing brain cancer with a pointy stick"

Comment

Wow. I'm officially impressed that he can make an executable fail to run.

He still dies at dawn for doing it it though.
        I AM the evil bastard!
        A+ Certified IT Technician

Comment

At what point do you think he will actually realize that he should stop messing around?

At least he doesn't try to blame you guys for screwing it up. I would probably just tell him that he broke it beyond repair and that we would have to reformat every time, just so he would get sick of paying the extra money and waiting for forever to get his computer back... maybe then he would cut it out.
          Jim: Fact: Bears eat beets. Bears. Beets. Battlestar Gallactica.
          Dwight: Bears don't eat bee... Hey! What are you doing?
          The Office

Comment

Quoth Shabo View Post
            At what point do you think he will actually realize that he should stop messing around?
            Never! Genius is 90% percperation or something stupid like that.
            Funny how that figure never states when the genius stops to think about why the experiment has failed.
            How was I supposed to know someone was slipping you Birth Control in the food I've been making for you lately?

Comment

Maybe the wife will finally get to him. But, as long as he keeps paying for it, we don't mind fixing it (at least not too much).

Comment

Quoth Soulstealer View Post
                Never! Genius is 90% percperation or something stupid like that.
                Funny how that figure never states when the genius stops to think about why the experiment has failed.
                'Genius is 1% inspiration and 99% perspiration.'

The 'stop and think' part is supposed to be included in the '99%'.

More related quotes by the same person (Thomas A. Edison):

"I never did anything worth doing by accident, nor did any of my inventions come by accident. They came by work."
                "I have not failed. I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work."
                "It is astonishing what an effort it seems to be for many people to put their brains definitely and systematically to work."
                "Nearly every man who develops an idea works it up to the point where it looks impossible, and then he gets discouraged. That's not the place to become discouraged."
                Seshat's self-help guide:
                1. Would you rather be right, or get the result you want?
                2. If you're consistently getting results you don't want, change what you do.
                3. Deal with the situation you have now, however it occurred.
                4. Accept the consequences of your decisions.

"All I want is a pretty girl, a decent meal, and the right to shoot lightning at fools." - Anders, Dragon Age.

Comment

Working...
                X