Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I have just the picture for this thread!
    Pretend there's something here that sounds insightful, but is really just some pseudo-intellectual bull.

Comment

Heh.. beer makes funny colors on mobos, as I'm sure the Angel (as a fellow college tech) is aware, too. :-)

Comment

Quoth Impetrix View Post
        Heh.. beer makes funny colors on mobos, as I'm sure the Angel (as a fellow college tech) is aware, too. :-)
        But Vodka shots have the advantage of also burning off when they short the board.
        The Rich keep getting richer because they keep doing what it was that made them rich. Ditto the Poor.
        "Hy kan tell dey is schmot qvestions, dey is makink my head hurt."
        Hoc spatio locantur.

Comment

Quoth Impetrix View Post
          Nah, the dept head is too nice. We don't crack cases. In fact, we don't do much of anything for students other than networking issues.

One time I had to investigate a possible water damage issue to a laptop. But I was pretty sure it was WATER damage when I started.
          SC: “Yeah, Bob’s Company. I'm Bob. It's my company.” - GK
          SuperHotelWorker made my Avi!!

Comment

Quoth technical.angel View Post
            Nah, the dept head is too nice. We don't crack cases. In fact, we don't do much of anything for students other than networking issues.

One time I had to investigate a possible water damage issue to a laptop. But I was pretty sure it was WATER damage when I started.

Ooooh, you're lucky. Now that I'm out front I just deal with human beings mostly, but back when I was in the advanced support area, 99% of what we did was a.)reimaging fubared machines or replaced hard drives or b.)taking things apart, mostly to clean spill cases.

Once when I was making I believe $7.50 an hour I read a slashdot article (at work, but after I'd mucked around inside a couple machines and had some scans running) about sucky retail support. Someone made a comment to the effect of "well, the techs only make $10 an hour, you can't expect them to be competent taking apart laptops".

Oh, and we had a laptop once that the student said was a water spill. We popped the keyboard and realized there were chunks in the water. Ewwww....

He had Complete Care, so Dell was able to do a full system swap. It stuck around in our back office in a black plastic bag with a biohazard sticker for a few days until they approved it.

Comment

When I ran the student computer labs, we had all Dells. Calls for parts replacements went to a major account support line. We'd call up, say part such and such on machine service tag XXXXXX is dead, send a new one, and lo & behold, one arrived forthwith.

Every once in a while, we'd accidentally get transferred to the home support line, and we knew it once they started trying to get us to troubleshoot the device. I trained all my guys on this.

Dell: Thank you for calling Dell, blah blah
              Techs: I've got a dead hard drive, service tag XXXXXX
              Dell: OK, well lets start troubleshooting to make sure.
              Tech: <crap, I got transferred wrong again> Before we do that, could you look and see who owns the computer with service tag XXXXXX?
              Dell: Sure, it's ummm, University of YY
              Tech: do you see any marks about major account status?
              Dell: Ummm, yeah? <Sometimes at this point, the tech would apologize and transfer us right away>
              Tech: Do you think maybe you should be not talking to me and instead transferring me to Major Accounts support?
              Dell: But I can help you.
              Tech, No, sorry, you can't, I don't need troubleshooting, I need parts exchange, and you can't do a parts exchange until you've done all your troubleshooting.
              Dell: True
              Tech: Please don't make me hang up & go through phone hell again, a transfer to major accounts would be much appreciated.
              Dell: Oh, sure, transferring.

Comment

The last Dell Gold Tech I talked to (the model of computers for the Helpdesk people have a power supply that keeps dying. We lost 5 out of 10 within 2 months), told me that if I had problems with any other computer, I could just email him..

Happiness.

Comment

I used to work for Dell tech support back in 2000. (ducks) I worked for an outsourcer in the US that was fairly decent at support..... for awhile. I know it was hit or miss as to which call center you got, and the one in Nashville was infamous for lousy support. You'd look at the case notes, and just go "Oh sh*t, Nashville had 'em."

We had several contracts for different companies, and were each trained on our own individual contract, Dell training was about a month long. This worked fine up until we lost the Earthlink account, and they decided to dump all the techs from that onto Dell with about a weeks worth of training. Management figured puters are puters, what's the difference between hardware support and Internet support? They had to stop me from seriously hurting several techs who I heard doing really stupid things. Although the cake was taken by the "supervisor" who informed me that there were NO viruses that could attack the BIOS. And a reinstall of Windows would fix all virus problems.

Comment

Quoth InsanityInc View Post
                    Although the cake was taken by the "supervisor" who informed me that there were NO viruses that could attack the BIOS. And a reinstall of Windows would fix all virus problems.
                    Yowch. Especially ironic considering the virus type I've outlined in my head. No, I won't detail it here, nor anyplace else. Suffice to say that if it were ever written (no, I've never written a line of code for it, nor do I intend to) and released, it would wipe out the x86 computing infrastructure of much of the world before it is finally shut down. It's bad.

And one of the prime reasons for it being so bad is that it goes after that flashable BIOS.

Comment

Quoth technical.angel View Post
                      The last Dell Gold Tech I talked to (the model of computers for the Helpdesk people have a power supply that keeps dying. We lost 5 out of 10 within 2 months), told me that if I had problems with any other computer, I could just email him..

Happiness.
                      I remember having a batch that would blow caps and overheat hard drives (low profile cases). Out of the 110 I had, over a single semester, 75 got a new hard drive, new motherboard/CPU, or both.

After the 10th or so, Dell just shipped us a box of 20 MBs, 20 CPUs, and 20 HDD, told us to call for more when we got low, and if the problem went away, to keep the left overs for spares.

:-)

Comment

Aint Gold Tech support grand?

Comment

Quoth MadRocketScientist View Post
                          I remember having a batch that would blow caps and overheat hard drives (low profile cases). Out of the 110 I had, over a single semester, 75 got a new hard drive, new motherboard/CPU, or both.

After the 10th or so, Dell just shipped us a box of 20 MBs, 20 CPUs, and 20 HDD, told us to call for more when we got low, and if the problem went away, to keep the left overs for spares.

:-)
                          Wow...and to think at my current job I have to defend my thesis every time I call HP support for a new part. They've even asked for the number off of the shipping manifest before. I may hate you just a little
                          The Rich keep getting richer because they keep doing what it was that made them rich. Ditto the Poor.
                          "Hy kan tell dey is schmot qvestions, dey is makink my head hurt."
                          Hoc spatio locantur.

Comment

Since I became the one to call tech support for EVERYTHING non server related, I've fallen in love with Gold tech support.

Comment

I had to call Dell last year when my Dimension 4600's video card died.

My sister talked to them, we had already knew the problem because we already did the tests they normally make us do, it helps she's a computer technican on maternity leave from her job at a call-centre for Apple.

We talked to three different people. None of which were Dell's fault.

The first time our cordless phone battery died.
                              Second Time: They gave us a program to try, didn't work. However they gave us a reference number so we wouldn't have to explain it all over again.
                              Third time we clearly got somebody not in North America. My sister said she could barely understand him because of the accent. Saids if I talked to him there would be no way I would hear him. Within ten minutes they had an order for an even better video card then the one I was having replaced.

My sister understands after that why I refuse to call them myself, because of hearing problems, I can barely hear someone on the phone on the otherside of the house let alone somebody across the world.

I had purchased a extra year on my warrenty the week before. My computer would have been out of warrenty if my video card died the next day. I only added a year to cover my payments.

When I get a new computer in the spring I'm staying with Dell. My sister wants me to buy Apple, but I'm a gamer, and I don't want to wait for months before the games I play finally come out on Apple.

Comment

I'd get the intel Mac and toss Windows on it. That way, you'll have the Apple support via your sister, but still have your compatibility.

Comment

Working...
                                X