Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

My mom is not allowed to ever move a computer again.

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My mom is not allowed to ever move a computer again.

My mom isn't entirely incompetent when it comes to computers. She's better than a good number of people her age. But every once in a while she manages to surprise me with something really dumb.

She calls me when I'm at work, which isn't really a big deal since I can multi-task. She was moving the computer to another part of the room and was trying to connect everything back together. She said she was having trouble getting the ethernet cable into the computer. She apparently had been trying this for half an hour, and it just wouldn't fit.

I figure she had been trying to put the cable into the port to hook the computer to a phone jack. But no, she said she could see the one for the modem, and this port really wasn't it. I ask her a bunch of random stuff that I could think of, like if she's putting it in upside down, or of the plastic clip is bent out of shape. Nope, it's all fine. Finally she tells me that the port is just too small, and the cable just hits the edge of the case. It clicks in my head that this computer has two phone jacks on it - one to hook into an actual phone and another to hook into the phone line. I tell her to look again over the computer for a similar port, because she is not using the right one.

She swears to me that there's no other port. Getting a bit flustered because I know for a fact that there's another port, I have start telling me each port she sees and what is hooked up to it. She starts listing them off until she suddenly stops, and goes "oooooohhhhhh". She had apparently put TWO USB cables into the ethernet port. How in the world she managed that and didn't realize it was wrong is beyond me.

That all sorted out, fast forward another 15 minutes and she calls me again. This time to tell me she thinks she broke the USB hub. I ask her if she's sure, and she said "Well, I think I blew it up. There was a loud POP, a sizzling sound, and it's now smoking." She put the wrong power line into the hub, causing it to overload. Thankfully, nothing was connected to it at the time.

Bright side

Quoth trunks2k View Post
    That all sorted out, fast forward another 15 minutes and she calls me again. This time to tell me she thinks she broke the USB hub. I ask her if she's sure, and she said "Well, I think I blew it up. There was a loud POP, a sizzling sound, and it's now smoking." She put the wrong power line into the hub, causing it to overload. Thankfully, nothing was connected to it at the time.
    The bright side is she realizes and admits that something went wrong.

Do you know how many sucky people will insist that they did nothing and the %$%^*(^ hub that you bought me/advised them to buy is just a piece of junk!! And it was never their fault, even after you open the hub, and show them the burnt out parts?

Oh, yes, and about the time you plug in a replacement hub they will mention that they are not sure if that is the right power supply as the old hub started smoke just like the new one is doing now.

Comment

Quoth trunks2k View Post
      She had apparently put TWO USB cables into the ethernet port. How in the world she managed that and didn't realize it was wrong is beyond me.
      I'm flumoxed.

And of course, I had to grab a USB and a laptop. If you were REALLY determined, I could see getting ONE USB in. The port would be dead, as that would probably screw the pins 10 ways to Sunday, but I could see it. But, TWO USBs, I don't see how it's physically possible.

Okay, so maybe I lie. I was able to get one in. But two? Still no idea.
      SC: “Yeah, Bob’s Company. I'm Bob. It's my company.” - GK
      SuperHotelWorker made my Avi!!

Comment

Quoth technical.angel View Post
        Okay, so maybe I lie. I was able to get one in. But two? Still no idea.
        Find out where the hammer is, and hide it. I'm pretty sure one was used.
        I AM the evil bastard!
        A+ Certified IT Technician

Comment

What about USB B ends?

I think you could fit 2 B ends into a NIC.

Cutenoob
          In my heart, in my soul, I'm a woman for rock & roll.
          She's as fast as slugs on barbituates.

Comment

It would have to be mini b, and those wouldn't necessarily damage the port.

I stand by my hammer theory.
            I AM the evil bastard!

Comment

I knew a guy who got a DIMM to fit into a PCI slot, not sure how, and it fried the RAM and the board, but he did it

Comment

Quoth MadRocketScientist View Post
                I knew a guy who got a DIMM to fit into a PCI slot, not sure how, and it fried the RAM and the board, but he did it
                HUH??? <Grabs A+ study guide, goes over size and config on ram and PCI slots>

How in, I mean, uh, er, <BOOM!>
                Last edited by lordlundar; 09-23-2007, 04:47 AM.
                I AM the evil bastard!

Comment

Ouch. That's funny, too, because it's pretty obvious where RAM is supposed to go (yes, I just did my RAM upgrade lab in Tech Skills today ). Oh well, live and learn...and drink.
                  You can find me on Backloggery, Facebook, Twitch, Twitter, YouTube

Comment

In my experience DIMM slots need a bit of force to get the module seated properly. Somewhere I read that with a little more force it was possible to plug the module in back-to-front.

Comment

My sister saids she once had a customer call her because they couldn't get the ethernet cord or what ever it's called into their Mac.

Turns out he was trying to put the big end into the computer, and ended up taking a hammer to it and forcing it in, understandably it didn't work.
                      Last edited by deafcat24; 11-06-2007, 03:42 AM.

Comment

:: cries for the modem... or firewire... ::
                        SC: “Yeah, Bob’s Company. I'm Bob. It's my company.” - GK
                        SuperHotelWorker made my Avi!!

Comment

Working...
                        X