This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Quoth Shabo View Post
    Sure, but if they have cameras, they'd be able to possibly identify you. Besides, it's not terribly hard to crack that wireless.
    That's why you go to the train station, where it's easy to get lost in the crowd and a lot of people are on laptops as they wait for the train. Or a small coffee shop, that isn't likely to have cameras.

Comment

Quoth trunks2k View Post
      *sigh* if you guys keep setting up people's wireless encryption for them, how am I going to steal other people's internet connections?

We have our own internet connection, but a neighbor also has an unsecured wireless network that we tend to use when we are doing things that we technically shouldn't be doing. The best was when we wanted to watch a football game but didn't have internet or cable installed just yet. So we found a stream of the game on the internet via sopcast, streamed it over the stolen wireless internet, to a file on computer A. Computer B then connected to Computer A over our LAN and read the file, playing it on the TV in the living room. There was a bout a 2 minute delay in what was actually happening in real life, but we at least got to watch the game.
      Just a note here, folks. We don't condone illegal activities, and though this post doesn't go into hacking details, we don't explain to others how to do it. I know the first part was tongue-in-cheek, but we have to draw the line on the second part.

Rapscallion

Comment

Quoth Rapscallion View Post
        Just a note here, folks. We don't condone illegal activities, and though this post doesn't go into hacking details, we don't explain to others how to do it. I know the first part was tongue-in-cheek, but we have to draw the line on the second part.

Rapscallion
        Sorry, I should have mentioned that I do not condone such illegal activity.

Comment

Quoth bob the goat View Post
          His response “but they both end with an 8.”
          I have worked in IT since high school and that is by FAR the most mind-numbing logic I have heard. Ever.

Comment

Quoth technical.angel View Post
            I just had two people call the COMPUTER helpdesk, one for information on the uni's adult and graduate studies programs, the other for a copy of a tax form. :: rolls eyes ::
            Reminds me of something that happened to me last week. I work in our campus' A/V department - delivering TVs, projectors and so on. So anyway, one of the secretaries on campus, her mouse was no longer working on her computer and she needed a replacement and called my department. Now, I don't handle the computers and such on campus - that's the computer center. So I tell her that I don't carry computer replacement parts, such as mice, but the computer center should have them for her. Her response to me?

"That's where I initially called. They transferred me over to you."

She was just as confused as I was.

Comment

I had a student walk up to the tech desk today and ask us if we knew why the course she was signing up for online got a "permission required" error.

I mean, I can see the "computer error => go to tech desk" pseudologic, but, still. That's a question for the Registrar. They set all that up. I just fix the computers here.

Comment

We got that the entire registration period.

One girl was just fuming because she didn't have the add button on ANY class, and she just HAD to get registered for classes. What we found out? Her add period wasn't until the next week.
                SC: “Yeah, Bob’s Company. I'm Bob. It's my company.” - GK
                SuperHotelWorker made my Avi!!

Comment

We got that the entire registration period.

One girl was just fuming because she didn't have the add button on ANY class, and she just HAD to get registered for classes. What we found out? Her add period wasn't until the next week.
                  I totally missed the "add" in the last sentence and was wondering what in the world her menstruation cycle had to do with anything.

Comment

Quoth trunks2k View Post
                    I totally missed the "add" in the last sentence and was wondering what in the world her menstruation cycle had to do with anything.
                    Computers use strange magic. The dread god Babbage demands a sacrifice of moonflow blood and greasy cheese pizza before returning lost files.
                    The Rich keep getting richer because they keep doing what it was that made them rich. Ditto the Poor.
                    "Hy kan tell dey is schmot qvestions, dey is makink my head hurt."
                    Hoc spatio locantur.

Comment

Yeah it's amazing how many people we hear from who have left things to the last minute when their connection goes down or theres a planned outage. I couldn't believe it when I spoke with someone just about to complete their 13 page thesis and their internet went out due to a planned outage. For some weird reason her computer shut off at the same time. Problem was she would login to her college's network and email access to write it instead of typing it up in Word on her computer as it was easier for her when she'd goto print it out. WTF? I atleast suggested she create it in Word, save it, and then email it to herself but she shot that down. I was hoping for lesson learned, guess not.

Comment

Holy frack, that's a moron.

The, *I* had someone call claiming I didn't install Word on their machine. So, I have to head over there today and put the shortcut on the desktop. Cause everyone knows, if it's not on the desktop, it doesn't exist.
                        SC: “Yeah, Bob’s Company. I'm Bob. It's my company.” - GK
                        SuperHotelWorker made my Avi!!

Comment

Don't even get me started on not having a shortcut. I feel your pain! No shortcut, no program. Getting people to click on Start and look in All Programs is a real pain sometimes.

Comment

Holy frack, that's a moron.

The, *I* had someone call claiming I didn't install Word on their machine. So, I have to head over there today and put the shortcut on the desktop. Cause everyone knows, if it's not on the desktop, it doesn't exist.
                            Don't even get me started on short cuts. My big problem with these customers are when you have to help them create it. For some reason, XP users were on dial up were able to add a short cut on their desk top, as long as they checked that box at the end. Vista does not have this, and you have to then have the customer go into their network settings after doing the actual set up. The pain of it all, trying to get customers to listen to you, hearing them bitch about how come it's our fault (not Microsoft's) for setting up the program that way.

You are correct. If the customer does not see the short cut, they have no idea about retrieving it from their program files, like the rest of us do.
                            Last edited by greensinestro; 11-17-2007, 01:16 PM.

Comment

my sister in law had a old Woman call up that she cant seem to get her Cable box to Turn on!!! Ok she was all cool asked her the basics MIGHT be a Remote Problem ! Happens ! after 20 mins with playing with codes It DAWNED to her......"mam is the BOX plugged IN?"
                              OOPS for got that one!
                              LMAo

Comment

I just remembered this one from a long time ago:

Caller: I just got your cable internet service and it's really speeded up AOL.
                                Me: It'll do that.
                                Caller: What I want to know is if I can cancel your service and still have AOL run as fast.
                                Me: Um, no. What's happening is that you're using our fast service to access AOL instead of your slow dial-up connection.
                                Caller: I don't understand that. I'm paying AOL. I should be able to use your cable to access it without paying for your service, too.
                                Me: It doesn't quite work that way.
                                I was neat, clean, shaved and sober, and I didn't care who knew it. -- Raymond Chandler

Comment

Working...
                                X