X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fobbing off clients...

Some days it seems all I do is triage.

Faculty trying to use some program I've never heard of to load exams into Blackboard and getting errors? Uhhh, go talk to the Blackboard guy. Here!

Faculty back home successfully connecting to his router, but not to the outside world? Uhhh, call your ISP. Buh-bye!

Retired faculty forgot their username and password? Uhhh, bring ID to the Tech Desk to talk with a staff member... after I leave.

Angry angry faculty was supposed to have their laptop delivered yesterday? Oh thank Ba'al, that's not my job. Pass it off to Field Support and let them take the flack.

Angry angry admin-type wants projection equipment NOW? Off to Equipment/Learning Spaces you are transferred, who will deal with you when they feel like it.

Really, I shouldn't be complaining about these, since they're honestly the easiest calls to handle. I don't really need to do anything more than roll my diplomacy checks (I've got a fairly high modifier) and transfer the call to the appropriate destination. It's still kinda funny, though.

The sad part is when you're cold transferred a call from the department that should have handled it in the first place. I don't care when an agent from whatever level calls me to ask some questions...that's fine. Just don't, I repeat, DON'T throw crap at me that ISN'T my job and I CAN'T POSSIBLY assist the customer with. Example:

Me: "*Blah Blah Support*, level 3, this is *Gun Sage* speaking, how can I help?"

(Dead silence, then a click to indicate a blatant cold transfer, then...)

Cust: "...uhh...h-hello?"
    Me: "Sigh...*Blah Blah Support*, level 3, this is *Gun Sage* speaking, how can I help?"
    Cust: "Yes, uh, I can't seem to access channels 4 - 15. And well, the game's gettin' ready to come on and-"
    Me: "Sigh...I'm terribly sorry, sir, this is the level 3 department and we don't handle those kinds of issues."
    Cust: "Well, who does?"
    Me: "Customer service, actually."
    Cust: "But...I just talked to them!"
    Me: "Yep."
    Cust: "And they transferred me to you!"
    Me: "Yep."
    Cust: "Why would they do that?!"
    Me: "They're lazy."
    Cust: "..."
    Me: "I am terribly sorry, but yes, I'm going to have to transfer. Hold please."

I have no qualms about telling it like it is in hopes that the customer will be more angry and more skeptical about the previous department. Hey, I figure if they don't want to do their jobs, screw 'em. They're only shooting theirselves in the foot.
    You can find me on Backloggery, Facebook, Twitch, Twitter, YouTube

Comment

Quoth Impetrix View Post
      Oh thank Ba'al, that's not my job. Pass it off to Field Support and let them take the flack.
      "That's it? Just 'Ba'al'? As in 'Bocci?'"

"Do you not know the pain you will suffer for this impudence?!"

(Sorry, couldn't help it )

Serioulsy though, I have to deal with this sort of crap on a regular basis. People call in and rather than listen to the menu and selcet the departemnt they really want, they just hit 1, getting me (Electronics) when they really want office supplies or copy center.
      "We guard the souls in heaven; we don't horse-trade them!" Samandrial in Supernatural

RIP Plaidman.

Comment

Working...
      X