This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Outlandish Claims

This is a conversation I had yesterday that I just have to share. For background, this woman was wandering through the laptop aisles, looking at the spec tags, and repeating: "Sh** sh** sh** sh**." For a moment, I was concerned that she had a problem and was really worried, but I realized that she was referring to the computers as "sh**." So I asked if I could help.

Her: Do you have ANY laptops without SH** on them?
    Me: Wha--
    Her: (cutting me off) I HATE Microsoft and their stupid F*****G Vista. It's sh**.
    Me: If you're looking for a laptop with XP, I don't have any in the store, but I have several that I can special-order for you.

That was good. She was interested and became more pleasant. Not that she was being mean or anything, she was just mad at Vista and complaining about it. So I took her over to one of the employee terminals and showed her the selection of XP laptops on the website of a branch of our company. We narrowed it down to a few specific models she liked; then she started babbling about how she needed a new computer but didn't want Vista.

Her: Vista's just a load of sh**. I'd much rather have XP. Of course, XP is a load of sh**, too, but it's not as sh***y as Vista.

This was a signal to me that she was not really interested in buying right then. Perhaps she would later, or perhaps she just wanted to complain. I decided to excuse myself and go help other customers. If she was still there in about five minutes, I'd try again to make a sale.

Me: Well, you're welcome to browse around the site on this computer, if you like. I'm going to go help those folks--they look lost. Flag me down if you have other questions or if you'd like to place an order, okay?
    Her: You want to let ME use YOUR computer?
    - Me thinking: MY computer? No! You smell of dirty dogs and stale cigarettes. This is the store's computer, though, and I couldn't care less about it.
    Me: Sure. Go right ahead.
    Her: No, I'm not going to touch your computer.
    Me: ...
    Her: I'll mess it up.
    Me: I don't thi--
    Her: I write viruses.
    Me: Oh, really?
    Her: Yeah. Well, I used to. I don't anymore. But I still know how.
    Me: ... I see...
    Her: No, I won't use your computer. I'd f*** it up.
    - Me thinking: What? Is virus-writing a compulsion for you?
    Her: I could hack this site if I wanted. I could even go in and change the prices to whatever I felt like paying.
    Me: On such a limited terminal as this, that would take some skill.
    Her: Nah. It's easy. I once hacked the Pentagon. Back in 1986. With a Commodore 64. I had to change some information on my dad's records. They think he was deported, but he's really still here.

At that point, her husband showed up and tried to get her to go look at games and software with him. She said something more about being a programmer, about hacking Tiger Direct's website and getting a terabyte hard drive for $80, and about not wanting to use my computer for fear of destroying the entire company's network and sending us into bankruptcy in a matter of hours. I just nodded and bid her farewell when she finally turned to follow the husband.

She didn't act crazy. She didn't really sound crazy. It seems she just enjoys bragging about her programming abilities and whining about Microsoft products. I would be surprised if she wasn't making all that stuff up, or at least severely exaggerating it.

Anybody else get customers making claims like this one? Stuff like having the mad hacker skillz to alter government records with a C64?
    I suspect that... inside every adult (sometimes not very far inside) is a bratty kid who wants everything his own way.
    - Bill Watterson

My co-workers: They're there when they need me.
    - IPF

The craziest ones never show it in the beginning do they? I pity her poor husband for having to put up with it.

You're right it's doubtful she could do most of the stuff she claimed. Just nod and smile and hope the crazy string lady I had at my last job doesn't become one of your customers.

At least the strings were a warning signal.

I wish I remembered her better, she'd be more of a WTF customer then a sucky one.
    Last edited by Soulstealer; 11-03-2007, 09:49 PM.
    How was I supposed to know someone was slipping you Birth Control in the food I've been making for you lately?

Comment

Quoth HawaiianShirts View Post
      Her: Nah. It's easy. I once hacked the Pentagon. Back in 1986. With a Commodore 64. I had to change some information on my dad's records. They think he was deported, but he's really still here.

....I honestly don't even know what else to say to this one, except that I'm glad I didn't have the umm "pleasure" of dealing with her in person.

If she were such a mad hax0r, couldn't she have just purchased whatever laptop she wanted, formatted it, and installed a fresh hacked copy of XP? And would she even be running Windows? Gah *head exploding*

Comment

Quoth joebubby here to serve View Post
        If she were such a mad hax0r, couldn't she have just purchased whatever laptop she wanted, formatted it, and installed a fresh hacked copy of XP? And would she even be running Windows? Gah *head exploding*
        Yeah, really.

Just for shits'n'grins I did a BitTorrent search for "XP Pro SP2" and got a pre-activated OEM copy in the top 3 results. If she couldn't manage to do that, burn the ISO, and do a soft-format/install, then she's not even a n00b, let alone a m4d h4x0r.

DISCLAIMER: This post is not an endorsement of software piracy. Any person caught pirating software deserves the punishment they recieve. The contents of this post is in place solely as an example of the ease with which such acts can be accomplished, should one desire to disregard legality.
        ...WHY DO YOU TEMPT WHAT LITTLE FAITH IN HUMANITY I HAVE!?! -- Kalga
        And I want a pony for Christmas but neither of us is getting what we want OK! What you are asking is impossible. -- Wicked Lexi

Comment

Well, I do agree with her in the sense that Vista is sh*tty. They over-did everything in that OS!

The rest of her convo just makes her looney. I've done lots of reinstalls of WinXP Pro and its pretty simple to do.
          Be like the flower that perfumes the very hand that crushes it.

Comment

Yeah, troubleshooting Vista's not too easy, either. The good thing is that I have a few screenshots to work from, but that's about it. There are a few features that make the troubleshooting easier, but 90% of the time I'm explaining that the customer will have to lower various security settings before we continue, which of course prompts the "How do I do that?" which prompts my "Uh, well, we don't support that" AKA "I really don't know and man I hate Vista."
            You can find me on Backloggery, Facebook, Twitch, Twitter, YouTube

Comment

Some so-called hacker

Last week I bought my latest laptop. It came with XP SP2 on it.

I had BeOS installed on it before I even paid a cent. How? Simple - I came in with my own flash drive with BeOS 5.0.3 already installed on it. When I examined the laptops to see which to buy I checked what hardware they came with, not the OS since I was junking it before I even would agree to buy.

Plugged in the drive, tested it booted okay, paid with debit card. The XP drive left in my pocket as you never know when the software you want to download only runs on Windows.

Comment

The only reason i can see to ask about what os a machine comes with is to see if you can get a few dollars off by getting it shipped naked.
                It is better to be the hammer than the nail.

Comment

Quoth xlr82xs View Post
                  The only reason i can see to ask about what os a machine comes with is to see if you can get a few dollars off by getting it shipped naked.
                  A FEW? Try "a couple hundred".
                  ...WHY DO YOU TEMPT WHAT LITTLE FAITH IN HUMANITY I HAVE!?! -- Kalga
                  And I want a pony for Christmas but neither of us is getting what we want OK! What you are asking is impossible. -- Wicked Lexi

Comment

Heh, I dont buy xp or vista. My workplace provides me with a copy of each, for being an employee.
                    so long as i remain one, they're mine!..... muahahahahah.... wait not much of a victory huh?
                    http://www.vilecity.com/index.php?r=221271
                    Cyberpunk mayhem!

Comment

Quoth JustADude View Post
                      A FEW? Try "a couple hundred".
                      I would be surprised if they would actually strip a couple hundred off the price just for OS. OEM Windows XP is $85.00 and Vista is $95.00. They aren't gonna knock anything off of their profit margin just because you don't want an OS. I would bet that they would only knock of $50.00.
                      The only words you said that I understood were "His", "Phone" and "Ya'll". The other 2 paragraphs worth was about as intelligible as a drunken Teletubby barkin' come on's at a Hooter's waitress.

Comment

Isn't there something where you can get a "Windows refund" if you prove you never actually installed it on a new machine? Argh, must look around for what I was reading.....

Yeah here it is.

How to get a Windows tax refund
                        By Serge Wroclawski on January 05, 2007 (8:00:00 AM)

If you buy a computer, you often pay for Microsoft Windows even if you didn't ask for it and aren't going to use it. This article shows you how to return your unused Windows license and get your money back, freeing yourself from the Windows tax.

I recently purchased a new laptop computer from Dell. As a GNU/Linux user and believer in Free Software, I knew from the start that I wasn't going to run Microsoft Windows. Unfortunately, Dell didn't offer this laptop with Ubuntu or a no-OS option, so I tried getting my Windows refund from Dell after the purchase. After working with customer service, I received a refund of $52.50.

http://www.linux.com/articles/59381

Comment

I remember that. User Friendly had an entire arc about it, no? But yeah, $50 was about the average, so not hundreds.
                          If I continue on the track I'm on now, I might see if I can get a seperate HDD and try messing around with Ubuntu and such, and maybe eventually move away from Microsoft altogether. But that won't be for quite a while yet.
                          Ba'al: I'm a god. Gods are all-knowing.

http://unrelatedcaptions.com/45147

Comment

Resisted as long as I could, but...who the hell thinks you'd hack into the Pentagon to alter deportation records?? That's the State Department (which encompasses INS), for crying out loud!!! Don't delusional wannabe-hackers take civics courses anymore?
                            Not all who wander are lost.

Comment

Working...
                            X