This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dead man.... Calling? (A little long)

OK so, not many of you know, cause I really haven't posted anything about the job I'm at now (and have been for the past 7 months) I am at a new call center in Alabama. Well the account I'm on supports the website for one of the major credit reporting agencies (not allowed to say which one, in case anyone from work - namely management - knows about this site, knows my sn, and knows who I am).

Well, for the most part, what we do is manually authenticate people when they fail the security questions on the website. In order to do so, we have to pull up a really funky looking DOS like program, and pull up their info in it. Once we've done so, we make sure all the info they've given us matches, then make sure they can verify 2 things that only they should really know. If anything doesn't match in the MAIN information, or they've already called to authenticate, and failed, twice, they have to fax in identifying documents.

Now that you know the background, I thought this call was so funny, I almost fell out of my chair at work laughing. So, I get this call today. It's one of my first calls of the day, after waiting for a call for about thirty minutes. Guy failed security questions, was told to call in. I ask him to hold and pull up his information. Check the main stuff, all good. I was about to go back to him when

WOAH HOLD THE PHONE STOP RIGHT HERE.

These words are written: SSN ISSUED TO PERSON WHO IS REPORTED DECEASED

Customer has to fax in documentation. The following conversation ensues.
    Me: Obvious
    SC: Stupid customer

Me: Sir? Thank you for holding. Unfortunately, due to our security system, and the message it's giving me, I'm going to have to have you fax in some identifying documentation.
    SC: Alright, what do I need to fax in?
    Me: (Gave info)
    SC: OK what's the fax number?
    Me: (provided number)
    SC: So, why am I having to fax this in? Isn't it supposed to be an instant report?
    Me: (Thinking "Because I can't issue a report to a ghost?") Yes sir, it is, but for security reasons, I am required to have you fax in documentation before we can issue you a report.
    SC: Well what is it telling you that says I have to fax in?
    Me: Sir, I cannot disclose that information. All I can say is that you have to fax in these things so that we can complete the verification process before we can issue a report?
    SC: Well fine, fuck you. (beeps two or three buttons on the phone, then hangs up)

I thought it was funny

Quoth RedHeadPhoneGirl View Post
    "I'm not dead yet! I'm only reported dead!"

(It's happened before, of course. What do you expect with bureaucracy?)

Comment

Well given solely what you said, I can't see him as being an SC. If his SSN is real, and for some reason he's listed as deceased, that's a big problem he's going to have to deal with.

Comment

That was smart of you, to deny a thief important information. Once he knows the SSN he's scamming is for someone reported dead, he'll either start using another one, or adjust his lie.

Comment

That's where a lot of identity theft is going these days. People who work for morgues/funeral homes/hospitals etc. get personal info for people who have just died, then rack up huge bills, and pretty much get away with it. The families have to deal with clearing their dead relative's name so they aren't held liable for the charges (depending on how they are related). I remember reading a report about it not too long ago. The article warned to pull up credit reports on any deceased family members for a few months after they have passed away so you can catch the fraud early on.

How low can they go? Seriously.
          Jim: Fact: Bears eat beets. Bears. Beets. Battlestar Gallactica.
          Dwight: Bears don't eat bee... Hey! What are you doing?
          The Office

Comment

Me: Sir, I cannot disclose that information. All I can say is that you have to fax in these things so that we can complete the verification process before we can issue a report?
            SC: Well fine, fuck you. (beeps two or three buttons on the phone, then hangs up)
            Quoth trunks2k View Post
            Well given solely what you said, I can't see him as being an SC. If his SSN is real, and for some reason he's listed as deceased, that's a big problem he's going to have to deal with.
            I don't think his SSN was real.
            SC: “Yeah, Bob’s Company. I'm Bob. It's my company.” - GK
            SuperHotelWorker made my Avi!!

Comment

Quoth trunks2k View Post
              Yeah, well, he really shouldn't have used that dummy to get out of that work sponsored clean up day...

Draco

Comment

He was truly an SC.... His tone was horrible, and when I told him we couldn't disclose any information (which is our policy, and I am all for it, as I've seen first hand what ID theft can do) he got really ugly. But yes, this is the way ID theft is going, and it's horrible

Comment

Quoth Shabo View Post

How low can they go? Seriously.
                  Theft of Poppy appeal collection tins, deception offences against 80y/o men and women who re half blind, who are now scared to let anyone into the house, assault on 90y/o men leaving them blind in one eye and not leaving the house and dependant on home care. I'd say pretty damn low.
                  A PSA, if I may, as well as another.

Comment

Quoth technical.angel View Post
                    I don't think his SSN was real.
                    Oh, I didn't see the "fuck you" part.

Comment

Oh it was probably a real ssn, all right. We have a program we use to identify people...we put in your name, address, DOB and last 4 of your social security number. It pulls up a random multiple choice question based off your public record.

It's always fun when the program pulls up the messsage PERSON REPORTED DECEASED. In our case, it's usually a family member doing it, and they will hang up quickly when we tell them we have to call the bank.
                      Because as we all know, on the Internet all men are men, all women are men and all children are FBI agents.

Comment

That's what I figured.
                        SC: “Yeah, Bob’s Company. I'm Bob. It's my company.” - GK
                        SuperHotelWorker made my Avi!!

Comment

Quoth Shabo View Post
                          The families have to deal with clearing their dead relative's name so they aren't held liable for the charges (depending on how they are related). The article warned to pull up credit reports on any deceased family members for a few months after they have passed away so you can catch the fraud early on.
                          Disclaimer: I am not a lawyer nor do I play one on TV. That said.

While I think pulling a deceased family members credit report might not be such a bad idea. No matter what ANYONE (except your lawyer) tells you, you are not liable for someone else's bills unless you are a co-signer. If your parents/uncle/aunts whatever die with unpaid bills the most they can do is take it from their estate. And don't pay just to get them to stop bothering you because that perpetuates the problem.

Comment

Quoth PhotoChick View Post
                            Disclaimer: I am not a lawyer nor do I play one on TV. That said.

While I think pulling a deceased family members credit report might not be such a bad idea. No matter what ANYONE (except your lawyer) tells you, you are not liable for someone else's bills unless you are a co-signer. If your parents/uncle/aunts whatever die with unpaid bills the most they can do is take it from their estate. And don't pay just to get them to stop bothering you because that perpetuates the problem.
                            Directly liable, not unless they cosigned, as you said. But if someone is pulling up thousands of dollars of debt after the person has passed, and the estate hasn't been settled yet, it's going to cut into what that person left for their family. So in that case, they will still have to clear their family member's name. Or heck, they might just do it so the criminal has a greater chance of getting caught. I would.
                            Jim: Fact: Bears eat beets. Bears. Beets. Battlestar Gallactica.
                            Dwight: Bears don't eat bee... Hey! What are you doing?
                            The Office

Comment

Quoth Shabo View Post
                              Directly liable, not unless they cosigned, as you said. But if someone is pulling up thousands of dollars of debt after the person has passed, and the estate hasn't been settled yet, it's going to cut into what that person left for their family. So in that case, they will still have to clear their family member's name. Or heck, they might just do it so the criminal has a greater chance of getting caught. I would.
                              Thieves have been known to sell houses or take out another mortgage on a house. Since this represent 100's of thousands of dollars you will find the banks fight tooth and claw to leave the debt on the family members. Plus, what happens to the person who paid and bought the house? Someone always get hurt in those cases.

Comment

Working...
                              X