Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I've told you this before - no troubleshooting the machine itself!

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I've told you this before - no troubleshooting the machine itself!

Please, oh, please! I wish my upper management would fire this lady once and for all. We're all human, and everyone makes mistakes, but this lady lately cuts the cake for helping customers with internet problems. Part of our job is to create a trouble ticket when a customer reports an issue related to us, such as "I can't get on the internet" or "I can't get my e-mail". However, we first have to troubleshoot every possibility as to why the problem exists before doing a report. This lady just opens reports any time a customer calls so she can get them off the phone.

What she did the other day floored myself and my supervisor. The customer called about not being able to retrieve their e-mails. Instead of this lady going into the server itself or creating the account to determine the problem, she had the customer do an ms config! For those who don't know, it laymen's terms, it making changes to the computer during the start up phase. After this, this lady called back upset that her computer was not working right, and it was "ever since I spoke to that woman!"

I'm blue in the face by now, being I have said this over and over, and have even submitted e-mails to our department stating that we are never ever to troubleshoot the customer's computer. That's what technicians are for. Why this woman still has a job here is a question I still don't have an answer to.

Ye flipping GODS! I never even let on to a customer that msconfig exists. If something needs to be done at that level, I have the computer in my possession before I touch it (I tend not to trust people with spoken instructions regarding anything that critical). Way too much potential for something to go horribly wrong if they later decide "oh, I saw Dreamstalker do something in here so maybe this will fix things"

I hope she gets smacked with the BFCluebat10K for that one.
    "I am quite confident that I do exist."
    "Excuse me, I'm making perfect sense. You're just not keeping up." The Doctor

Comment

Quoth Dreamstalker View Post
      Ye flipping GODS! I never even let on to a customer that msconfig exists. If something needs to be done at that level, I have the computer in my possession before I touch it (I tend not to trust people with spoken instructions regarding anything that critical). Way too much potential for something to go horribly wrong if they later decide "oh, I saw Dreamstalker do something in here so maybe this will fix things"

Wanna know something interesting? My senior tech engineer did not know what an ms config was (but he uses Linux). I myself had to Google this being I had heard of it, and I only knew it was something not to do with the internet provider itself. In my opinion, this lady did that to impress the higher ups into thinking she isn't as dumb as she really is. This seals what we already know about her.
      Last edited by greensinestro; 11-09-2007, 07:38 PM. Reason: Correction on ms config

Comment

Aha..."I know nothing but I need to have them think I do". The most dangerous type of tech. One which should be quashed quickly before something really, really bad happens. Come to think of it, I know someone like that...but he just doesn't want to learn past what he already knows--very little--so he makes up stuff. I no longer listen to him for anything computer-related.
        Last edited by Dreamstalker; 11-09-2007, 12:51 PM.
        "I am quite confident that I do exist."
        "Excuse me, I'm making perfect sense. You're just not keeping up." The Doctor

Comment

Quoth greensinestro View Post
          Wanna know something interesting? My senior tech engineer did not know what an ms lookup was (but he uses Linux). I myself had to Google this being I had heard of it, and I only knew it was something not to do with the internet provider itself. In my opinion, this lady did that to impress the higher ups into thinking she isn't as dumb as she really is. This seals what we already know about her.

Did you mean nslookup?
          Supporting the idiots charged with protecting your personal information.

Comment

Quoth greensinestro View Post
            In my opinion, this lady did that to impress the higher ups into thinking she isn't as dumb as she really is. This seals what we already know about her.

Better the world to think you're a fool, than to open your mouth and remove all doubt.
            A PSA, if I may, as well as another.

Comment

Quoth otakuneko View Post
              Did you mean nslookup?
              My mistake. I just edited that post being I actually meant ms config. An nslookup is totally different where you want to see what IP servers a website is on.

Comment

Geez, I rarely use MS Config (no fear of it, just rarely need it), but at least she is not asking folks to fire up regedit.

Comment

That's...truly retarded. Yeah, sure, I have a basic understanding of registry, msconfig, etc., but I would NEVER have a customer go into it. If it's outside of my support boundaries, it's a sure bet I'm not going to suggest it unless it's something I can control. For example, if a customer wants some odd setup for their wireless modem/router supplied through us and I'm feeling generous (AKA I know how to do it and am willing to), I will show them how to allow remote access to me and do it for them.

HOWEVER, I would NOT, under ANY circumstances try to walk them through steps of how to do it themselves! Sure, teach a man to fish and all that...but not to those who would drown trying!
                  You can find me on Backloggery, Facebook, Twitch, Twitter, YouTube

Comment

Well, it happened again over the weekend. This same lady, although the accounts notes do not support this, had another complaint about a rep that helped a customer with their settings, and screwed up their computer. Not sure what the world is coming to, but I think she will be out the door very soon.

Comment

Quoth Dreamstalker View Post

Computer support have often told me to disable stuff in MSConfig... but these people knew what the stuff did that I was disabling.

"oh, I saw Dreamstalker do something in here so maybe this will fix things"
                      On a side note, I love how people think there is a magic switch, button or setting that instantly fixes things. Theres not.
                      MMO Addicts group

Comment

Quoth Jacen View Post
                        On a side note, I love how people think there is a magic switch, button or setting that instantly fixes things. Theres not.
                        There is a magic disc... that wipes out all your files, viruses, spyware, etc...

But it fixes any software FUBARs!
                        Jim: Fact: Bears eat beets. Bears. Beets. Battlestar Gallactica.
                        Dwight: Bears don't eat bee... Hey! What are you doing?
                        The Office

Comment

Quoth Shabo View Post
                          There is a magic disc... that wipes out all your files, viruses, spyware, etc...

But it fixes any software FUBARs!
                          Yes, that's the disk I burned with Nuke&Boot on it.
                          The Rich keep getting richer because they keep doing what it was that made them rich. Ditto the Poor.
                          "Hy kan tell dey is schmot qvestions, dey is makink my head hurt."
                          Hoc spatio locantur.

Comment

Working...
                          X