This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• This is the reason aspirin was invented

...And beer, really. Before taking this call, I should note that I made the statement "Look, I don't mind stupid customers. It's my job to take care of their issues. What I hate is stupid AGENTS. They're getting paid for their incompetence. That ain't right. I don't mind being the janitor to our customers' intelligence." At this point I acted like I was mopping up a mess while saying "Whoop, is that a little smart sauce? I'll get that for ya!" Yeah, it was fun...but it was time to put my money where my mouth was.

And a little more backhistory before I move forward. This call had me setting up a person's wireless connection with one of our wireless modem/router combos. How does one go about this? Glad you asked! I know very little about Vista, but this isn't too bad...

XP:

- Right click the "double computer icon." Yes, the wireless connections icon.
    - Left click "view available wireless networks."
    - There should be a list of available wireless networks. If yours isn't listed, we may have a problem, but let's assume it is listed.
    - First check to verify you AREN'T already connected. If you aren't, double click (yes, double left click, for you will NEVER double right click) the connection.
    - If there is some sort of encryption set up, it will ask you for the passphrase. Put it in. You might also have to confirm it.
    - If everything up to this point was entered correctly, SUCCESS.

Vista:

- Right click the "double computer icon." Yes, the network connections icon.
    - Left click "connect to a network."
    - There should be a list of available networks. If yours isn't listed, we may have a problem, but let's assume it is listed.
    - First check to verify you AREN'T already connected. If you aren't, double click (yes, double left click, for you will NEVER double right click) the connection.
    - If there is some sort of encryption set up, it will ask you for the passphrase. Put it in. You might also have to confirm it.
    - If everything up to this point was entered correctly, SUCCESS.

If it sounds confusing, don't worry about it...it's actually a relatively easy, painless procedure...NORMALLY. Yes, there are several things that can go wrong with this. Unfortunately, one of those is blatant stupidity and a seemingly uncanny ability to not effectively follow directions. I walk this kid (probably 16) through a Vista laptop, confirming the wireless button is on, etc. When it comes to logging in with WEP (her wireless encryption), her father shouts in the background "It's ten zeroes!"

Ten...zeroes? Are you KIDDIN' me? Great...so we have an encrypted network that has a password so generic that it doesn't matter. Ugh. Needless to say, when she connected, Vista complained about a possible IP address conflict. As I suspected, someone had been using their network. Now, at this point, I could've said "Well, you're connected, anything else?"...or I could have done...what I did.

Me: "Hmm."
    SC: "What?"
    Me: "That conflict is most likely rising from the fact that that password is easily guessable. I mean, any Tom, Dick, and Harry could guess it."
    SC: "Well...I suppose."
    Me: "What we ought to do, in order to secure your network better, is set up a better passphrase. I can show you how to do that."

Up until this point, the call was pretty fluid. She didn't need to be told, let alone retold how to get to the double computer icon or anything like that...she was already there. I assumed she had a good head on her shoulders. Oh how wrong I was.

Me: "What we need to do first is log in directly to your modem."
    SC: "Okay."
    Me: "Take an ethernet cable and connect it directly from your computer to the modem."
    SC: "Alright." *Long pause* "I can't get on the Internet now."
    Me: (When did I tell you to try to get on?!) "Okay, clear out the address bar-"
    SC: "Do you want me to try to connect to a network?"
    Me: "...No...I need you to clear out the address bar and type in 192.168.0.1."

After explaining and re-explaining this procedure a number of times, I help her log in. I assist her in changing the WEP passphrase and explain to her to log out...which she also almost messed up, but it was an honest mistake (thought she should click the close button instead of the log out button). Now we needed to disconnect physically, then disconnect from the wireless network, then reconnect using the new passphrase. Simple, right?

Me: "Okay, now disconnect the ethernet ca-"
    SC: "Restart the computer?"
    Me: (H-uh?!) "...No...disconnect the ethernet cable. After you've done that-"
    SC: "Should I connect to a network?"
    Me: (GRRRR) "...After you've disconnected the ethernet cable, close Internet Explorer."
    SC: *Long pause* "I can't get online."
    Me: "Correct because it's probably trying to connect physically. Even if it's not, it has old data about the connection and it needs to be updated."
    SC: *Confused* "Uh...okay..."
    Me: "What we need to do now is disconnect from the network, then reconnect with the new password."
    SC: "Oh, okay. How do I do that?"
    Me: "First, go back to 'connect to a network.'" (I assumed everything would be alright. I mean, she was there when I first started the call.)
    SC: "Um...how do I do that?"
    Me: (Sigh...or not.) "Right click on the double computers..."
    SC: "Network and sharing center?"
    Me: (IT'S RIGHT THERE! RIGHT...THERE! IN FRONT OF YOUR FACE!!!) "...No. You need to click on 'connect to a network.'"
    SC: *Long pause* "Okay, it's connected...unidentified network..."
    Me: "Wait, no...we need to disconnect. Select the network, then hit disconnect."
    SC: *Long pause* "Okay, it says 'are you sure you want to disconnect' and it has a cancel button."
    Me: (Buh?) "Uh...is there a confirm button? Maybe an OK button or another disconnect button...?"
    SC: "I already hit cancel."

The saddest part is this took FOR-EVER...and in the middle of trying to get her to disconnect?

Father of SC: *Scuffling, sound of phone changing hands* "Hi, uh, is this really necessary?! I mean, what is all this?!"
    Me: "Well sir, previously you had a password of ten zeroes..."
    FSC: "Yeah, the tech set it up that way!"
    Me: (Yeah, not likely. We have standards for that.) "...In any case, that password is easily crackable. I set up a new password, which I had her write down. We're disconnecting, then we're going to reconnect with the new password."
    FSC: "Well, I'm just wondering because I'm about to get a new computer for myself and I don't want to have to do this each time I just want to get online!"

After calming down the father and assuring him that's not the case, I get the SC back. It's at this point I contemplate having an ANGRY but possible willing to follow directions SC vs. having an SC that doesn't know her head from her ass but still jumps ahead constantly. In retrospect, it'd be wonderful to have her in a minefield. Getting her to reconnect was a nightmare as well because she would do the same thing...double click on it instead of actually go into the properties so we could input the new key...over...and over...and OVER again.

Honestly, there were many times I was ready to go off because she wasn't following my directions, kept saying steps she thought were next but had nothing to do with what we were doing, and a whole lot more. Needless to say, I took out the rest of my beers that night. Whew.
    You can find me on Backloggery, Facebook, Twitch, Twitter, YouTube

Speaking of Vista and wireless, has anyone else run into Panera Bread aka SonicWall firewall/router filling up Vista's registry with entries that kill any connection?

Note to forum, if you're running Vista, don't connect to the wireless at Panera Bread. It will kill your internet!!!
    SC: “Yeah, Bob’s Company. I'm Bob. It's my company.” - GK
    SuperHotelWorker made my Avi!!

Comment

I heard about something similar to this. That and also customers complaining that they could connect at Panera, but not their personal networks at home. Weird stuff. Honestly, I need to up and get a Vista laptop. The idea of it isn't exactly intriguing, but I think it might be good for learning's sake.

Comment

I haven't sat down and tried to run and learn everything needed about Vista though I do have a copy. I'm quickly realizing that I'll need to soon as everyone is getting a new computer lately.

I just don't understand people who jump ahead of your steps, once or twice if they are confident in what they are doing or think they know where you're taking them is fine. But after its obvious you are trying to get somewhere else, why won't they shut up and do what you told them to?!

Comment

Not to pour any more gas on any fires, but the steps you take on a Mac for a wireless connection:

1. Click on the Airport icon to turn on the wireless.
          2. Wait to get the prompt asking if you want to connect to the wireless network that it finds.

Now I'm a Windows guy going all the way back to DOS days, but I was absolutely floored when we went to a hotel and my wife got online with their free internet in the time it took me to scan the laundry list of instructions the hotel left for Windows computers. PC users like to be all "LOL macs r useless" but this is a pretty big stick to poke them with IMO.
          "You know, there are times when it's a source of personal pride not to be human." - Hobbes

Comment

Windows, Mac OS, and Linux - and the minor OSes - are all useful in their different ways. What a good computer expert should do is to match the OS to the intended user and the intended use.

Well, that's IMO, anyway.
            Seshat's self-help guide:
            1. Would you rather be right, or get the result you want?
            2. If you're consistently getting results you don't want, change what you do.
            3. Deal with the situation you have now, however it occurred.
            4. Accept the consequences of your decisions.

"All I want is a pretty girl, a decent meal, and the right to shoot lightning at fools." - Anders, Dragon Age.

Comment

Hey, don't worry... Vista + Wireless capabilities = EPIC FAIL.

I loathe Vista. And according to my favorite IT news source, XP SP3 is going to be 3 times faster than Vista, even with SP1 coming out. I need to get my laptop reformatted with XP. I'm done playing with Vista.
              Jim: Fact: Bears eat beets. Bears. Beets. Battlestar Gallactica.
              Dwight: Bears don't eat bee... Hey! What are you doing?
              The Office

Comment

groan.

Any idea when SP3 is going to be out?

Comment

Early 2008 is the eta. Of course, it was supposed to have been out in Oct. But you know how MS does things. It's like Eddie Izzard says, "We'll release it now, no, now, no, a bit later... We'll do it when we're ready!"

Oh, and I kid you not, I have a Bill Gates look-alike sitting in my school's lunch area. Of course, I have NO CAMERA!!! *grumbles*
                  The Office

Comment

BUT, But, but!

Quoth Seshat View Post
                    Windows, Mac OS, and Linux - and the minor OSes - are all useful in their different ways. What a good computer expert should do is to match the OS to the intended user and the intended use.

Well, that's IMO, anyway.
                    The problem of-course is people never install what the computer expert tells them to do, instead they take the advice of cousin-twice-removed-and-lives-one-thousand-kilometers-away advice, install what ever they use, then wail to the local techs whenever something goes wrong.

Comment

You know, the sad part is that it's really not THAT hard to troubleshoot on Macs, XP, or Vista...it's just that I work best with XP. Back when I was a tier 2, I hated XP. Why? Because there was a bunch of new stuff nobody knew nothing about. And now the source of frustration is Vista. It's bound to happen, really, and I'm sure as I become more familiar with Vista, no biggie.

I really was ready to end the call several times because, come on...follow the steps or get off my line. If you don't want my help, shut up, hang up. If you want my help, shut up, follow along. Either way, SHUT YA MOUF!

Comment

Quoth Shabo View Post
                        Early 2008 is the eta.
                        :: sobs quietly in the corner :: I'm STILL getting faculty and staff moved up to SP2!!!

Comment

Quoth technical.angel View Post
                          :: sobs quietly in the corner :: I'm STILL getting faculty and staff moved up to SP2!!!
                          Ouch...

BTW, I'm done with school in December. Are you looking for help? Cuz it sounds like you need it.
                          The Office

Comment

Oddly enough,

http://www.customerssuck.com/board/s...396#post228396

Comment

So yeah, just got another cold transfer (surprise, surprise) from level 2. Actually, I shouldn't rag...today's been pretty decent so far as I've only gotten the one cold transfer...so far. Anyway, I get cold transferred a call wherein...

- The customer just wants to set up a trouble call.
                              - The customer is under the impression FOR SOME REASON that I'm level 1, which he was initially talking to, then transferred him up to level 2 for tech support.
                              - The customer already had a trouble call set up, per level 1, which I relayed to him.
                              - The customer was NOT given the trouble ticket number for the call.

Upon further investigation, I found that the ticket was still quite lazily coded as a level 2 ticket with deliberately misleading comments. IT WASN'T EVEN CLOSED! Yeah...I left a nice little feedback. And on that note, yes, I have some Excedrin Migraine with me today.

Comment

Working...
                              X