Photo files, camera and laptop

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Photo files, camera and laptop

So I have a digital camera, nothing fancy, Canon PowerShotELPH 150 IS. My memory card is full, so I plugged the camera into my laptop to import the last 6 photos that I just took, and figured I'd delete a bunch of stuff that I know I already put on the computer but never bothered to delete from the camera's memory card.

Well, I was able to import those six photos, BUT the files coming up on screen, while the camera is plugged into a USB port on the laptop, include ALL of my photos that are already on the laptop. Stuff that I took screen shots of, photos that were emailed to me, photos taken by my phone, everything. Tons of which I never took with my Canon camera.

It's literally showing me ALL of my photo files. Since some of the photos it's showing me are ones that were already imported to the laptop, I'm afraid to delete anything because I can't tell if I'm deleting it from the memory card or from the laptop files.

Anyone have a clue why it would show me my laptop photo files when it SHOULD be showing me ONLY what's on the camera's memory card?
    When you start at zero, everything's progress.

Without knowing where you're looking at them, I'm going to assume from your description of the problem that it's a search window that's looking for all available photos on that computer, which includes everything on the memory card when it's plugged in. If it's an app that came with the camera then it'll be showing everything probably from a central library. Assuming it's a PC, if you open My Computer the memory card or camera should come up as a "drive", where you can open it directly and should be able to manipulate only those files without worrying about affecting anything on the PC itself.
    This was one of those times where my mouth says "have a nice day" but my brain says "go step on a Lego". - RegisterAce
    I can't make something magically appear to fulfill all your hopes and dreams. Believe me, if I could I'd be the first person I'd help. - Trixie

Comment

Seconded.

Open up two instances of File Explorer (Finder(??) on Mac -- it's been years), pointing one of them to the camera's image storage folder, and the other to your computer's pictures folder so you can keep track of which image is where and drag them back and forth to backup and delete in the proper locations as needed.
      "For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
      "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
      "Thinking is difficult, therefore let the herd pronounce judgment!" ~ Carl Jung
      "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
      "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
      "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)
      Acts of Gord – Read it, Learn it, Love it!
      "Our psychic powers only work if the customer has a mind to read." - me

Comment

Yep, it's still called Finder AFAIK. you can make tabs in it now though, which is nice.
        This was one of those times where my mouth says "have a nice day" but my brain says "go step on a Lego". - RegisterAce
        I can't make something magically appear to fulfill all your hopes and dreams. Believe me, if I could I'd be the first person I'd help. - Trixie

Comment

Working...
        X