Thinking of getting a set-top box

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Thinking of getting a set-top box

My brother added me to his Netflix and Disney+ accounts when I was undergoing treatment. I could only watch them on my computer, because my TV is not a smart TV. Now, I'm wondering if the TV will receive these little goodies if I buy a set-top box. The TV is old enough that it doesn't have HDMI input/output, but it works perfectly, and I've used it for years to watch DVDs. I don't have a cable hookup.

So - advice?

Does it have a USB input that can accept a Roku stick or something similar? That can access NF and D+. Check your manufacturer's site to see if the set has a port that can use them.
    "For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
    "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
    "Thinking is difficult, therefore let the herd pronounce judgment!" ~ Carl Jung
    "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
    "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
    "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)
    Acts of Gord – Read it, Learn it, Love it!
    "Our psychic powers only work if the customer has a mind to read." - me

Comment

It doesn't even have USB. It has SCART and coaxial. The set-top box would also need Wi-Fi. I did find some that are Wi-Fi capable, and some with SCART, but none with both.

Comment

Basically, it comes down to this: If I get a set-top box and hook it up to my older TV, will I be able to access streaming platforms?

Comment

The streaming platforms that you can access will depend on the set-top box. And of course, which services you want to sign up/pay for. Most set-top boxes have a broad selection, but there are a couple of services that are not universal. Check the documentation before you buy.

By the sounds of it, you may have trouble finding a set-top box that will connect to your TV.

Life is too short to not eat popcorn.
          Save the Ales!
          Toys for Tots at Rooster's Cafe

Comment

Quoth csquared View Post
            The streaming platforms that you can access will depend on the set-top box. And of course, which services you want to sign up/pay for. Most set-top boxes have a broad selection, but there are a couple of services that are not universal. Check the documentation before you buy.

By the sounds of it, you may have trouble finding a set-top box that will connect to your TV.
            I can get an adapter to hook up the box to my TV. I only want to access the platforms that I already have (Netflix and Disney+), in addition to, of course, YouTube.

Comment

Does your tv have a chromecast icon? If so, maybe getting a chromecast device might work. I use my phone to connect to my chromecast if I want to watch tv. There are quite a few apps that have the chromecast option and YouTube is one of them.
              My Fanfic Page
              My Fiction Page
              My Social Group
              My Pet Social Group
              My You Tube Channel

Comment

Quoth purplecat41877 View Post
                Does your tv have a chromecast icon? If so, maybe getting a chromecast device might work. I use my phone to connect to my chromecast if I want to watch tv. There are quite a few apps that have the chromecast option and YouTube is one of them.
                No, there's no Comcast here. I've found a few boxes that have WiFi, and I hope that will work.

Comment

Chromecast is a device. Comcast is a service. Two separate things.
                  "I don't have to be petty. The Universe does that for me."

Comment

A SCART connector? How many decades old is the TV?

.... You might be better off just paying ~$100 for a new TV, frankly.
                    “There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old’s life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged.
                    One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world.
                    The other, of course, involves orcs." -- John Rogers

Comment

Quoth Nunavut Pants View Post
                      A SCART connector? How many decades old is the TV?

.... You might be better off just paying ~$100 for a new TV, frankly.
                      Yep, SCART. I'm not going to get a new TV because there's nothing wrong with this one. Also, a new one would cost several hundred dollars.

I can get an HDMI-to-SCART adapter; that's not a problem. Oh, and yes - I mistook Chromecast for Comcast. There are Chromecast TVs here, but I haven't seen any Chromecast set-top boxes.

I was looking at this one. Do you think it will work?

https://www.alza.cz/EN/homatics-box-...v-d8012909.htm
                      Last edited by Eireann; 03-04-2024, 10:17 AM.

Comment

That should work since it has a USB port and and HDMI port. Chromecast should work with those ports if you decide to get the device.
                        My Fanfic Page
                        My Fiction Page
                        My Social Group
                        My Pet Social Group
                        My You Tube Channel

Comment

Quoth Eireann View Post
                          Yep, SCART. I'm not going to get a new TV because there's nothing wrong with this one. Also, a new one would cost several hundred dollars.
                          There are several 32" TVs for $110 and less on the Best Buy website. I don't know how that translates into your local currency (or availability for you) but that's much less than "several hundred dollars". And might not be much more than the box you're asking about.
                          “There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old’s life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged.
                          One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world.
                          The other, of course, involves orcs." -- John Rogers

Comment

That wasn't the point. Not being wasteful was.
                            Customers should always be served . . . to the nearest great white.

Comment

Quoth Nunavut Pants View Post

There are several 32" TVs for $110 and less on the Best Buy website. I don't know how that translates into your local currency (or availability for you) but that's much less than "several hundred dollars". And might not be much more than the box you're asking about.
                              As Kristev said, I don't want to be wasteful. There are no Best Buys here, and the lowest prices for smart TVs here are definitely higher than $100. And I just don't see the need to buy another TV when mine works just fine. Also, being an older TV, it has the right connectors for my older A/V equipment - including, yes, a VCR. And a DVD player.

I found an even better set-top that I think I'm going to go for. It's a Blaupunkt, and it's on sale - not a huge discount, but I wouldn't have found it otherwise.

Comment

Working...
                              X