This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My internet doesn't work!!!!!

Let me start out by saying this is a grad assistant. This is a college graduate, who the university decided was good enough for us to bring back and coach.

She called up saying her internet wasn't working. I asked if our verification software was coming up, and she said no, so I told her to bring the computer in.

When she brought it in, she said that it worked before, and she took it to Vegas and it connected there, but then she bought it back and it won't work.

So, there's a bunch of stuff that it could be.

First thing, AOL started trying to load. I opened Firefox and instead of loading a page, it would bring up the gray background and said done in the status bar. As it was 12:55, and my lunch was at 1, I didn't think what it meant that it was doing that instead of the FF version of "This page can not be displayed."

So, I started the AOL uninstall, removed all the saved WAPs, and went to lunch. When I got back from lunch, my manager had finished the uninstall, got our verification software installed, and still had no internet.

So, both of us started poking around, since she's new to the Helpdesk, she's still learning all that I know. So I was informing her what to look for, what causes problems, and how to resolve those issues without breaking software that the students can rightfully whine about if we break.

In this case, it was McAfee. We usually remove the AV, and leave the rest of the suite.

That's when it hit me. I hade the manager try to open IE. Le GASP! It worked!

While beating myself about the head, I opened up McAfee, went to the firewall settings and unblocked FF.

The GA was pleased. She was afraid we'd have to have her computer overnight.
    SC: “Yeah, Bob’s Company. I'm Bob. It's my company.” - GK
    SuperHotelWorker made my Avi!!

I've found that the antivirus companies have decided that users are too stupid to know what they should and shouldn't allow, so they don't bother asking anymore. Great job guys. Not only do they not have the choice to allow something they want, but they have very little chance of manually allowing it. Thanks for giving the rest of the world a bazillion s to deal with. Jerks.

Of course, that's speaking solely with my experience of antivirus, which is students coming in because their VPN won't work, which is because of McCrappy or Snorton is blocking the connection and not telling them.
    Jim: Fact: Bears eat beets. Bears. Beets. Battlestar Gallactica.
    Dwight: Bears don't eat bee... Hey! What are you doing?
    The Office

Comment

Quoth Shabo View Post
      I've found that the antivirus companies have decided that users are too stupid to know what they should and shouldn't allow, so they don't bother asking anymore. Great job guys. Not only do they not have the choice to allow something they want, but they have very little chance of manually allowing it. Thanks for giving the rest of the world a bazillion s to deal with. Jerks.
      Well, McAffie does ask (or mine did, anyway) during set up if you want to be asked each time a new or modified program requests access to the internet. I think the default is not to ask though, so it might be a matter of someone clicking through the install, not reading anything so long as the Next button is lit.

But we all know a SC never ignores important information related in written form.
      The Rich keep getting richer because they keep doing what it was that made them rich. Ditto the Poor.
      "Hy kan tell dey is schmot qvestions, dey is makink my head hurt."
      Hoc spatio locantur.

Comment

McAfee was warning. We saw it ourselves as we were testing stuff. This case, I'm pretty sure, was user stupidity.
        SC: “Yeah, Bob’s Company. I'm Bob. It's my company.” - GK
        SuperHotelWorker made my Avi!!

Comment

At least your anti-spyware program wasn't saying that Firefox itself was spyware and should be removed immediately...

Hoax or not, it's funny to see that.
          Last edited by chops; 12-07-2007, 10:46 PM. Reason: Wow, I actually fell for one.
          "Well, ergo cogitum daltitum e pluribus shut your piehole." -Mike Rowe

Comment

Quoth chops View Post
            At least your anti-spyware program wasn't saying that Firefox itself was spyware and should be removed immediately...

What do you expect from a Micro$oft product?

Comment

Quoth chops View Post

Buahahahaha! I love the description as to why it's "vulnerable". What a crock.
              I AM the evil bastard!
              A+ Certified IT Technician

Comment

Quoth lordlundar View Post
                Buahahahaha! I love the description as to why it's "vulnerable". What a crock.
                I guess someone at M$ is mad that people are not using IE and have discovered an alternative. Sneaky bastards.

Comment

Working...
                X