This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Does this happen to you... ?

I will preface my post by saying that I'm not a computer tech, and my computer skills are fairly basic. That being said, a large part of my job is to help people with non-technical questions about using our website-based order form.

Anyway, at least 4-5 times a week I get some variation of this call:

Customer: So what's your website address?
    Me: Our website is *spelling it out*: www.ourcompanysaddress.org
    Customer: Okay... wow! I see a bunch of different websites listed. Should I pick the first one here?
    Me: If you just typed the address into your address bar, it should take you directly to our website.
    Customer: I sure did - put it in the Google line and that's how I got here!

Granted, the majority of these calls seem to come from older folks, but I'm amazed that some folks don't know about the existance of the address bar or that you don't have "Google" something in order to go directly to.
    Last edited by Alpha Strike; 12-06-2007, 06:08 PM.
    Be a winner today: Pick a fight with a 4 year old.

Wait until you get someone that has managed to get rid of their address bar! That's just soooo much fun *\sarcasm
    I used to be disgusted... Now I'm just amused

Comment

Quoth ta2ooed1 View Post
      Wait until you get someone that has managed to get rid of their address bar! That's just soooo much fun *\sarcasm

I get enough stupidity during the day as it is. I wouldn't want to compound it with technical questions...

Fortunately, I can pass off "complicated" computer-related questions to our "tech" guy; from talking with him I'm glad I don't have that job.
      Be a winner today: Pick a fight with a 4 year old.

Comment

Quoth Alpha Strike View Post

Granted, the majority of these calls seem to come from older folks, but I'm amazed that some folks don't know about the existance of the address bar or that you don't have "Google" something in order to go directly to.
        I don't get calls about that, but sometimes I do computer training. And stuff like that happens a lot. You really need patience.
        Jacob (F&R Computer Man)

Comment

What kills me is this is the opposite of what it used to be. "Search engine? What's a search engine?" *le sigh*
          Ba'al: I'm a god. Gods are all-knowing.

http://unrelatedcaptions.com/45147

Comment

Working...
          X