This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• FOLLOW THE INSTRUCTIONS!!

Okay, so we did just about the most complicated thing we could ever do to users... we moved our primary data server. All Friday, we were getting calls that users couldn't get to folders on the server in question.

Yes, we sent out an email telling you that, and you wouldn't be able to access them till Monday. READ THE EMAILS!

Then, today. Oh, today's been fun.

First, came the round of "RESTART YOUR COMPUTER"! Followed by a round of "Find the hidden deny permission!", followed quickly by "Let's remap some drives!"

Now, I can get by with just a chuckle from "I'm saying I can't connect to the drive when I really just can't connect to a folder within that drive." but, the drive mappers got to me.

These two are on one of our remote campuses, thus, it's not like I can hop over and fix it for them. So I put together a step by step document WITH PICTURES of everything you needed to do to disconnect from the old drive and remap. Two drives apparently was their limit, because shortly after sending them the documentation, I got an email saying they still couldn't connect to the X drive, along with a screen shot that showed they had NOT remapped the drive.

Three times I started to compose an email. Three times, I couldn't figure out how to write it that wasn't condescending and bitchy. So, I go to dept head, I explain, she laughs, and says that since she lives in the same town as the remote campus, and was already planning on leaving early to just tell them that she'd stop by later that afternoon.

Dude! It's 7 clicks and a bit of typing. IT'S NOT THAT HARD!!!
    SC: “Yeah, Bob’s Company. I'm Bob. It's my company.” - GK
    SuperHotelWorker made my Avi!!

Did you really expect the (l)users to read emails with the words like "IMPORTANT" in the subject line? Even if they did, you really expected them to do something about it?

Come on, like all computer issues, if they ignore it it will either go away or it won't happen.

We had a server move to a new system a few months ago with detailed instructions on how to access the new drive. For a month, both drives were accessibe with an email generated whenever someone accessed the old drive on how to access the new drive (detailed instructions) with warnings that the old drive would be turned off on a certain day.

Sure enough, they day it was trned off we had over a dozen tickets that people couldn't access the old drive.
    Quote Dalesys:
    ... as in "Ifn thet dawg comes at me, Ima gonna shutz ma panz!"

Comment

Working...
    X