This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Some people should not own computers

Ok let me start off by saying I don't work in tech support, and this story happened 2 years ago while I was in college.

I'm hanging out in a lobby using my laptop and this middle aged woman walks up beside me. She asks how to connect her computer? I ask her if she needs help connecting to the wireless network, and she says no.

The day before she had just bought a laptop, ran it on the battery until it died, and wants to know if she has to get a new battery or what. I explain the wonders of the A/C adapter to her, and tell her just plug one end into the laptop and the other into an outlet. Her response, "Well do I have to have a certain type of outlet or plug?" I point to the outlet beside me, and say this is all you need, and the lightbulb finally goes on.

Then she asks how do I know if the battery is charging and when it's done? I show her the battery meter on the system tray. She looks at mine sees it's at 100% and asks me so is your battery charged or not?

Sounds like she really should have bought a Mac. With a Mac it would have been so much easier for her to tell when the battery was charged: yellow light = not charged. Green light = charged. Not only that, but Macs are virtually foolproof. My aunt is as computer illiterate as they come and even she found a Mac easier to use than her PC.
    Suddenly, Vermont became the epicenter of the dystopia.

Comment

Windows laptops should do the same thing with the battery lights. She's just technologically challenged. And yes, there are definitely some people who should not own a computer.
      Jim: Fact: Bears eat beets. Bears. Beets. Battlestar Gallactica.
      Dwight: Bears don't eat bee... Hey! What are you doing?
      The Office

Comment

Quoth Shabo View Post
        Windows laptops should do the same thing with the battery lights.
        Well, mine doesn't, but it's a 3 year old piece of crap (When I got it, it was on clearance to make room for the newer models already). But it *does* have that nifty battery indicator in the system tray. It actually has a graphical representation of how much charge is left. You'd think even the witless wonder could understand seeing a battery slowly go from full to empty if 100% is too vague for her.
        Ba'al: I'm a god. Gods are all-knowing.

http://unrelatedcaptions.com/45147

Comment

Just answer her questions, she probably doesn't have any helpful young people in her life. When my sons were teenagers they helped get me started with a computer, but not every middle aged woman has teenaged young people to assist them.
          Secret Shopper RN

Comment

Quoth Shabo View Post
            Windows laptops should do the same thing with the battery lights. She's just technologically challenged. And yes, there are definitely some people who should not own a computer.
            Many do. The HPs we work with in my department do. It is a choice of the manufacturer of the laptop to do it that way or not. OS has nothing to do with it.
            The Rich keep getting richer because they keep doing what it was that made them rich. Ditto the Poor.
            "Hy kan tell dey is schmot qvestions, dey is makink my head hurt."
            Hoc spatio locantur.

Comment

OMG! I had a college student do this to me!

She was soo bad that I had to go to her room and show her the charger, where to plug it into the computer and WHERE TO PLUG IT INTO THE WALL.

My brain hurt after that one.
              SC: “Yeah, Bob’s Company. I'm Bob. It's my company.” - GK
              SuperHotelWorker made my Avi!!

Comment

Quoth technical.angel View Post
                OMG! I had a college student do this to me!
                Was her hair color blonde?

Ok ppl, just a late restless joke, nothing more to see.
                Last edited by Ree; 12-31-2007, 11:42 AM. Reason: Excessive quoting

Comment

If I'd have received this in an email I woldn't have beleived it...
                  A PSA, if I may, as well as another.

Comment

Some people have a serious disconnect in their minds when it comes to computers. I've seen it in lesser degrees with a lot of people, but the girl certainly took the cake.
                    SC: “Yeah, Bob’s Company. I'm Bob. It's my company.” - GK
                    SuperHotelWorker made my Avi!!

Comment

Quoth Secret Shopper View Post
                      Just answer her questions, she probably doesn't have any helpful young people in her life. When my sons were teenagers they helped get me started with a computer, but not every middle aged woman has teenaged young people to assist them.
                      LOL. That's what I am for Mom...only I'm in my 30s. Last year I was tasked with making her computer faster - accomplished in mainly 2 steps: disabling a couple of junk programs & then convincing her to switch dialup providers. (and amazingly the company didn't lie to her when she called to discontinue...yes we all know who i'm talking about haha).

But not so much anymore... Her new computer is Vista and my old software was all XP. Tried to talk her into Mac (cos that's what I upgraded to after my old xp lappy died) but no... *sigh*

Comment

Quoth PepperElf View Post
                        LOL. That's what I am for Mom...only I'm in my 30s. Last year I was tasked with making her computer faster - accomplished in mainly 2 steps: disabling a couple of junk programs & then convincing her to switch dialup providers. (and amazingly the company didn't lie to her when she called to discontinue...yes we all know who i'm talking about haha).

But not so much anymore... Her new computer is Vista and my old software was all XP. Tried to talk her into Mac (cos that's what I upgraded to after my old xp lappy died) but no... *sigh*

You are a good egg! Keep it up.
                        Secret Shopper RN

Comment

Working...
                        X