This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• objects n disk drives

So one of the tech support sites i read just introduced to the fun of 4 year olds and chocolate floppies. anyone else have any stories of objects in places they shouldnt go?

Quoth Cyphr View Post
    So one of the tech support sites i read just introduced to the fun of 4 year olds and chocolate floppies. anyone else have any stories of objects in places they shouldnt go?
    You mean in computers, right? I mean, there's this site with some really alarming x-rays...

The Rich keep getting richer because they keep doing what it was that made them rich. Ditto the Poor.
    "Hy kan tell dey is schmot qvestions, dey is makink my head hurt."
    Hoc spatio locantur.

Comment

yes in computers although could you give me that link i love using pictures to freak people out

Comment

Quoth Cyphr View Post
        yes in computers although could you give me that link i love using pictures to freak people out
        Here's some, warnings for some medical ookiness, and some may be NSFW as there are some surgery pics there too.

http://www.well.com/~cynsa/newbutt.html
        http://www.ghorayeb.com/NoseForeignBody.html

Now, back to your regularly scheduled thread:

I've had to dig out the usual double floppies, as well as a doubled CD that got stuck in drive. I've seen a sock inside the case (don't ask, I don't know either). I did have someone try to install a Walkman-style CD player as a CD drive, but they called me before opening the case.
        The Rich keep getting richer because they keep doing what it was that made them rich. Ditto the Poor.
        "Hy kan tell dey is schmot qvestions, dey is makink my head hurt."
        Hoc spatio locantur.

Comment

I used to think the whole "broken cupholder" thing was a myth until I saw a coworker do it. The same coworker actually did it twice.
          "I don't have an anger problem I have an idiot problem!" - Hank Hill

When in deadly danger, when beset by doubt, run around in little circles, wave your arms and shout!

Comment

When my sister's kids were toddlers, they once ruined her old computer by "playing post office" or something that involved pushing "letters" (ie, anything that would fit) into the "mail slots" (ie, the disk drives). I think she was just kind of looking the other way so she would have an excuse to get a new computer.
            "Wouldn't that be unethical?"
            "That's only an issue for those who aren't already in Hell."
            --Dilbert

Comment

We had to retrieve a couple of credit cards after SCs saw an Amex advert that featured a card being placed on a CD tray and 'spinning up'.

Not only did they believe the advertisement (FAIL) but they slotted it in the gap between the CD tray and the blanking plate (EPIC FAIL)
              Lady, people aren't chocolates. D'you know what they are mostly? Bastards. Bastard-coated bastards with bastard filling. Dr Cox - Scrubs

Comment

Had a customer in my shop once, with a 'warranty claim' on a failed CD-ROM drive - one of
                those 'trayless' jobs that you just stick the disk in the slot. Turns out his six-year-old had
                indeed fed disks (note plural) to it - one right after the other, until there were THREE of them
                in there.

Comment

Quoth Naaman View Post
                  Not only did they believe the advertisement (FAIL) but they slotted it in the gap between the CD tray and the blanking plate (EPIC FAIL)
                  Only in the double stupidity. At least nothing got damaged, right?

Right?

Oh good Gord...
                  I AM the evil bastard!
                  A+ Certified IT Technician

Comment

Not a computer but my oldest once put a piece of toast in the VCR because he saw me putting the tape in there and wanted to 'feed' it too. Fortunately, nothing happened. He was 3. At least it wasn't the peanut butter and jelly sandwich I read about some kid doing.
                    This isn't an office. It's Hell with fluorescent lighting.

Comment

Does anyone remember who posted the story about the woman feeding her computer rice?
                      SC: “Yeah, Bob’s Company. I'm Bob. It's my company.” - GK
                      SuperHotelWorker made my Avi!!

Comment

Quoth bigjimaz View Post
                        At least it wasn't the peanut butter and jelly sandwich I read about some kid doing.
                        When my oldest was 2 he 'fed' our VCR a peanut butter sandwich, minus the jelly...

Luckily I had a spare (sandwich and VCR).

Comment

In the lab here at the school, once a week we have someone put a regular 3.5 floppy into the zip drive.

While it is more understandable (I've almost done it), you would think that having all that extra space around the floppy while you are inserting it would make you think "hmm, that's unusual, should I really be doing this?"

Comment

I had a professor bring his laptop in. He said that during a presentation, in the dark, a student had put an SD card in SIDEWAYS in the built in card reader.

Prof said he didn't care about the card, but he needed the reader. So, I started to dismantle the laptop. Something in the middle just didn't want to come apart, so I was practically prying the thing up.

Then the DBA (database admin) came by, and he started digging around in it. That's when I was able to uncover enough of the card reader to find.... it was an enclosed piece, so opening the laptop was pointless.

Then the server admin came over. With a screwdriver and a pair of those long thick computer tweezers, he was able to extract the card, and I was (miraculously) able to get the laptop to not only get into onl solid piece again, but to TURN ON! WOOT!
                            SC: “Yeah, Bob’s Company. I'm Bob. It's my company.” - GK
                            SuperHotelWorker made my Avi!!

Comment

Quoth technical.angel View Post
                              Does anyone remember who posted the story about the woman feeding her computer rice?
                              What?? I have to hear this. Please, who posted?
                              Well fiddle dee dee!!

Comment

Working...
                              X