X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• d'ya think?

Me - answering the phone
    SC - guy with a brand new computer, just out of the box today. The first thing he did is try to install our software.

SC - The program won't run, it gives all these crazy error messages you've never heard of before.
    Me - Indeed, I've never heard of those before. Let's try to uninstall it and restart your computer.
    SC - Windows threw up all over itself and didn't uninstall, now it won't even shut down. It wasn't doing anything like this before I installed your software.
    Me - Power it off and let's see if it boots back up.
    SC - Ok GGZZZZZHHHHHHRRRRRMMMMMMMMMMZZZALKRG It's restarting KKKKJLKSJLDFZZZZZGHGHGHZZZ
    Me - I hear a really loud grinding noise in the background, is that your computer?
    SC - Yes. (noises)
    Me - . . . Has it ever made that noise before?
    SC - No. Well, just when I was installing the progam also. (noises)
    Me - So that noise is coming from the CD drive?
    SC - I'm not sure. (noises)
    Me - Eject the CD and take a look at it. Is it cracked or warped?
    SC - (noises stop) No, it looks fine. I did take a sticker off your product and put it on the CD. Do you think that might have unballenced it or something? Oh hey, and my computer won't start.
    Me - (Suppressing laughter) Take the sticker off and put the CD back in. (no noise) Yes, there's a very good chance you've damaged your operating system, please contact the computer manufacturer and take that sticker off the CD. Once you get that problem straightened out, our software should install and run with no errors.
    SC - I'm going to have to waste a very long time talking to Dell now aren't I?
    Me - Yes, you are. I'm sorry.

I'm going to have to waste a very long time talking to Dell now aren't I?
    At least there's some redemption there.
    "Always stand near the door." -- Doctor Who

Kuya's Kitchen -- Cooking, Cooking Gadgets, and Food Related Blather from a Transplanted Foodie

Comment

Why did he think that he had to take the sticker off & put it on the CD?

Comment

I don't think he thought he *had* to. But if the sticker was the product key or something, and this guy was obviously a computer newbie, he'd have wanted the key someplace he wasn't likely to lose it. Hence on the CD.
        Ba'al: I'm a god. Gods are all-knowing.

http://unrelatedcaptions.com/45147

Comment

And in theory, it seems like a good idea. But in practice, when you combine a high speed drive with a sticker that is only meant to adhere once so putting it on a CD make it loose AND unbalanced, well...
          I AM the evil bastard!
          A+ Certified IT Technician

Comment

Yeah, also until you realize that you kinda need the key off the sticker while the CD is in the drive...
            And that's why in the case is how I do it
            Ba'al: I'm a god. Gods are all-knowing.

http://unrelatedcaptions.com/45147

Comment

Working...
            X