This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Passwords..

I love it when customers don't seem to understand the concept of network security...

ME: Blade_Raver
    SC: Internal Employee

SC: I can't login.
    ME: To windows?
    SC: I guess.
    ME: (I look at the account, it's locked. 6 password failed attempts. Verify SC's info.) Yep, I see the account got locked. I'll unlock it for you.
    SC: Why does it do that all the time?
    ME: 6 failed password attempts, last one happening (time, date)
    SC: I know what my password is! You guys are screwing with my account! I keep my laptop with me at all times!
    ME: You do realize that if someone else tries to login as you on any computer on the company network and fails, that counts as a failed password attempt?
    SC: Oh? ok..... I'm in now. Bye. <click>
    Fixing problems... one broken customer at a time.

i've been tempted to do that to people i don't like
    but it's childish so i haven't yet.

is it possible someone is also trying to hack his account?

Comment

Quoth PepperElf View Post
      i've been tempted to do that to people i don't like
      but it's childish so i haven't yet.

is it possible someone is also trying to hack his account?
      Most likely an employee is trying to login as him on a different computer.. or the employee might have logged into a diff computer (we're a huge company) and instead of logging it out he locks up the computer.

Co-worker who needs to access the locked up computer fails password on it 6 times to "teach him a lesson".

Locked out customer calls in.. lather rinse repeat
      Fixing problems... one broken customer at a time.

Comment

Quoth Blade_Raver View Post
        I love it when customers don't seem to understand the concept of network security...
        Heh. You should hear some of the people we get. Most of our employees work in the plants, making bottles and cans, and the majority of them are not terribly computer literate.

I often get questions like:

"Can't you set my password to my user name?"

Um, no! and...

"Reset it to what it used to be."

That would only be possible if we could see what you password used to be. Unfortunately, we can't

The worse case is the login people use on our intranet, which is completely separate from every other login. The reason for this is that they have access to their benefit and salary information from there. People don't understand that there are laws against just handing out that kind of information...

All in all, it's not a SC issue, just people who are under informed.

Eric the Grey
        In memory of Dena - Don't Drink and Drive

Comment

Quoth Eric the Grey View Post
          That would only be possible if we could see what you password used to be. Unfortunately, we can't
          That's something I've noticed everywhere I work. Users think IT keeps a big master list of all the passwords someplace. That would kind of defeat the purpose of going through the security steps. Besides, if I need in, I have access to change your password to what I need.
          The Rich keep getting richer because they keep doing what it was that made them rich. Ditto the Poor.
          "Hy kan tell dey is schmot qvestions, dey is makink my head hurt."
          Hoc spatio locantur.

Comment

Co-worker who needs to access the locked up computer fails password on it 6 times to "teach him a lesson".
            Or just do a Ratheon-Reset.

(aka, turn the power off & back on)

Comment

Yes, but you lock their password first. More evil that way.
              The Rich keep getting richer because they keep doing what it was that made them rich. Ditto the Poor.
              "Hy kan tell dey is schmot qvestions, dey is makink my head hurt."
              Hoc spatio locantur.

Comment

Which is also effective for logging onto a computer that another user has locked up and gone off to do something else.

Our CSM is notorious for doing that to the computer in the back. Even though she's using the one in the office up front, she'll lock the one in the back for reasons known only to her.
                Human Resources - the adult version of "I'm telling Mom." - Agent Anthony "Tony" DiNozzo (NCIS)

Comment

We have a problem with that with the faculty using the classroom computers. By now, we have most of them trained to hold in the power button until it restarts.
                  SC: “Yeah, Bob’s Company. I'm Bob. It's my company.” - GK
                  SuperHotelWorker made my Avi!!

Comment

In my univeristy's Logic terminal room (Logic is one of a pair of Sun Unix servers, the other is Reason) people lock the terminal all the time. The automatic lockout after a number of reset attempts works there too (I think it's five attempts).

It was implemented after one of the lecturers (then an undergrad) wrote a script for brute force guessing the default password based only on the username (the default was set to first and last initials and day and month of birth). He got a couple of hundred logins but then lost his computer access for the rest of the semester, since he was studying computer science that meant he failed the semester. Since all the subjects he enrolled in for semester 2 had semester 1 subjects as prerequisites, he had to withdrawl and try again the next year.

Comment

Quoth edible_hat View Post
                      It was implemented after one of the lecturers (then an undergrad) wrote a script for brute force guessing the default password based only on the username (the default was set to first and last initials and day and month of birth). He got a couple of hundred logins but then lost his computer access for the rest of the semester, since he was studying computer science that meant he failed the semester. Since all the subjects he enrolled in for semester 2 had semester 1 subjects as prerequisites, he had to withdrawl and try again the next year.
                      Shouldn't they have considered that proof that he knows what he's doing already, and thus a passing grade?
                      Those who are loudest about their qualifications, tend to have the least merit to their claims.

Comment

Quoth Arcade Man D View Post
                        Shouldn't they have considered that proof that he knows what he's doing already, and thus a passing grade?
                        The fact he got caught meant he didn't know enough about what he was doing, so he failed.
                        "I don't have to be petty. The Universe does that for me."

Comment

Quoth DGoddessChardonnay View Post
                          Which is also effective for logging onto a computer that another user has locked up and gone off to do something else.
                          I had someone do that to MY computer at MY desk. It was one of my employees. He decided he wanted to check his email, and since I had locked the computer, the best thing to do was to power off and on.

I was pissed, as 1) my desk looks into the computer lab and 2) I stepped out to use the bathroom, and he lost a good 30 minutes worth of confidential information I had been working on.

He doesn't work for me anymore, actually. Thank goodness.

Comment

I would be pissed too!!!! ARG!

I've only had that happen to me once, but... (to steal your format)

1) It was my boss 2) I was gone for a few days, 3) they had to get to a program that, at the time, was only installed on my computer. Why? I don't know. It was only something that was MY JOB, and there's really nothing about it that couldn't have waited for me to get back. Rather than face the log on screen, and the 10 year wait for my computer to start up (Yes, I *NEED* all those programs in startup, thank you very much)
                            SC: “Yeah, Bob’s Company. I'm Bob. It's my company.” - GK
                            SuperHotelWorker made my Avi!!

Comment

Quoth Ironclad Alibi View Post
                              The fact he got caught meant he didn't know enough about what he was doing, so he failed.
                              Something like that. Another lecturer demonstrates how easy it can be to fake email return addresses by sending himself email from George Bush.

Comment

Working...
                              X