X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• what gets me

you know what gets me?
    people with no (or limited) computer knowledge attempting to fix their computers. most of the time they just bugger them up even more, requiring them to spend more money than hey would have if they had got a pro to fix it in the first place.

if you don't know how to wire up a house you would not do it but and hire an electrician but it seems it's ok for computers.
    The mere fact that we have the flamethrower means that someone, somewhere once said "You know, I'd really like to set those customers over there on fire, but don't possess the means to do it"

Or their 'Friend' the 'expert' who creates a whole pile of mess that didn't exist to begin with, personaly with no experience of chasingdown faults, if the usua l(easy) fixes don't work to the shop I go!
    A PSA, if I may, as well as another.

Comment

On the flipside we get customers who call because "it says the computer is locked and that I need to press CTRL + ALT + DEL to unlock it. How do I do that? Should I press CTRL + ALT + DEL? That won't crash it, will it?!"

Comment

Ah but at least the paranoid ones give job security.

(okay, so do the "experts" but at least you get less bitching from the paranoid ones.)
        I AM the evil bastard!
        A+ Certified IT Technician

Comment

I'm tired of the experts who call in and need to ask you for information or support but won't take your answer, even though it makes complete sense and it works. The ones who are told on the screen what to do but won't do it just boggle my mind. They try to make it easier for the user and it gets harder. Vista will tell you if you are connected locally or if you are also connected to the internet. This one guy called since his service was shut off, but he didn't try to bring up a webpage that would have brought a registration screen up. He just couldn't get his AIM to come up and Vista said he could only connect locally. I'm used to people atleast trying to do what they want to do.

Oh, and one last thing. I am tired of hearing, "I don't understand computers or how it all works, but this is my assumption and so it must be true. I won't take any other answer."

Comment

Our copier repair guy came in awhile ago, and was telling me how he didn't like the model of our copier, and how it has problems due to one part that keeps screwing up.

"I trust it about as far as I trust...you."

I about fell down laughing. He apologized, but I told him there was no problem, that is exactly the response you should have towards an amateur who thinks she knows something. ^_^

It was just funny to be on the other side.
            We have enough youth. How about a "Fountain of Smart"?

Comment

Quoth crazylegs View Post
              Or their 'Friend' the 'expert' who creates a whole pile of mess that didn't exist to begin with, personaly with no experience of chasingdown faults, if the usua l(easy) fixes don't work to the shop I go!
              A relevant web comic, courtesy of XKCD:
              http://xkcd.com/349/
              My Pointless Links collection.

Comment

Working...
              X