This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Trouble Tickets...

Long time reader, first time poster... I suppose this may fit in more with co-irkers, but the topic works here...

See, I'm working as a contractor for Company N, and my team is currently contracted to company P, which is a multi-national maker of generi-brand laptops.

P has decided that, rather than hiring their servers from company Z, they'd rather do their own hosting. Makes sense, of course; you're a computer company, I should hope you can run a server or two, yes?

But all their tech support is run out of China. Whereas all their sales types and non-technical people are, well, global. With large concentrations of them scattered about the US (and Canada, and Mexico, and Brazil, and the UK, and Sweden, and, etc. you get the idea)

So my team was hired to do support for some users in the area. P happened to have a largish office in the immediate vicinity, so they gave us a chunk of cube-space, set us up with phones, and had us migrate the local folks and then work doing remote support.

Now we're seeing a few things. First, people are just falling-over-themselves grateful to get an english-speaking voice. Second, we're like... tier infinity support. The buck stops here, or if not here, we can see it from our desks.
    Second, the chinese helpdesk doesn't wanna work.

Any ticket, ever, gets passed to us. We were hired for the americas, we're doing global. We were hired for the migration, we're getting, say, 'screen is pink'.

And the best of it is the way these trouble tickets come in. The helpdesk gets a call, they go through their convoluted machinations, and eventually work out some excuse to dump it on us, and in the ticket (we're using Remedy) they describe the problem.

Some of my favorites:

* User push the buttom and then she met the hourglass.

* User unable to get the locations, so edit the .ini file, but fail [Added bonus! The user didn't touch the ini file]

* User tel number 863483632431 [some string of random digits that doesn't equal a working phone number in any country anywhere, ever.]

After getting told, sometimes repeatedly, that we support the americas, and that the newly-set-up euro-asia desk is handling that chunk of the globe, we started seeing a lot of tickets like this:

* US user unable to do the migrate, username [obviously chinese] tel number 86-XXXXXXXXXX [86 is China's own country code]

Priorities never get old, with tickets like this one:

* (urgent)User mail delayed, please call ASAP [for a european ticket submitted after all of europe has gone to bed, and in stark contrast to the next one]

*User unable to get email, start program causes crash, user will come to war room on Monday [when it's tuesday, meaning at least 6 days delay, and the user is completely unable to do anything with their computer except solitaire]

...and those are all really good....

But the one that truly takes the cake, is this one:

* User can't

...and yes, that was the entire ticket.

Still, with in-company support like this, my team looks like solid GOLD.
    "Joi's CEO is about as sneaky and subtle as a two year old on crack driving an air craft carrier down Broadway." - Broomjockey

Here's one for ya. Make sure you pay attention because you might miss it. Ready? Ahem...

Wasn't that GREAT?! We have a CSR that has a bad...VERY BAD...habit of only putting a single period in her notes before escalating a ticket. Now yes, often the summary tells us what we need to know, but this indicates, at least to me, that the CSR did NOTHING. Half the time, she doesn't even get all the customer info. With this person especially I've had to close a number of tickets stating "No numbers referenced in ticket reference a valid customer, nor does the first or last name. Please be sure to validate your information before submitting ticket. Closing ticket due to lack of information."

And the worst part is I earnestly try several different methods to attempt to find the customer, yet it still happens. Fun stuff. I'm surprised she still works here, honestly.
    You can find me on Backloggery, Facebook, Twitch, Twitter, YouTube

Comment

Oh, the tier one guys are pulling that one too. The only actions on the ticket are 'escalated'

What's worse is that the ticket system has a place for the user's contact information- first name, last name, phone number, etc.

...and all the guys at the chinese helpdesk have their own way of recording this information. Some of them pull it out of an obsolete company directory. Like, years out of date. Others leave all those fields blank, and enter it into the note with their ticket text- like, say, 'user can't'...

We keep finding duplicate tickets, from when the user calls to find out what's going on, and the guy answering the phone that day can't find the old ticket- or maybe just didn't look- and they make a new ticket. And we can't just do a name sort because.... the names weren't entered in the right field.

I can't help but feel bad for the users. I mean, my team, we have no call numbers, no pressures, whatever. I'll work an issue 'til it's done. I've had calls that lasted for four hours. I don't care, so long as, at the end of the time, the machine works and the user is happy. And the users are falling-over-grateful. To the point of engaging in potentially harmful activities. I had one user in europe, he was all, "You can make it work?! Hold on. What do I do to let you control it?" (I told him) "Sorry about the noise! I'm driving. I'll just put in the password. Go for it! Let me know if you need anything!"

So, he was driving, talking on his cell, and typing his password into his laptop at the same time, while commenting about the engine noise. I thought I was going to end that ticket with, "User wrapped car around post. No further action required."

But yeah. When your own basic safety can be held in abeyance just for the privilege of talking to me? I'm flattered, but damn. I feel bad for them.
      "Joi's CEO is about as sneaky and subtle as a two year old on crack driving an air craft carrier down Broadway." - Broomjockey

Comment

I already think I'm going to enjoy your stories, Arm.

Quoth Arm View Post
        But the one that truly takes the cake, is this one:

* User can't

...and yes, that was the entire ticket.
        First of all,
        That is hilarious!

The really funny part is that it actually sounds like some of my customers. Don't ask me what they can't do. When it comes to computers and related stuff, they just can't. Many can't even explain the problem. Like one guy: "I'm trying to get on X-Box Live. Do you know what's wrong?"

On the flip side, though, I could see how a normally intelligent tech could have started to type out some normal notes, beginning with "User can't," and then, realizing that he has no clue what the customer is screaming about, decided that any further notes would risk undue damage to his own brain and cause nothing more than confusion for the next tech in line, and so he simply submits the ticket as it is, perhaps not realizing the lack of anything relevant in the notes section.

Quoth Arm View Post
        Still, with in-company support like this, my team looks like solid GOLD.
        This is another thing I like about where I work. I'm not the best, but I have a couple of idiots working with me that make me look downright fantastic.
        I suspect that... inside every adult (sometimes not very far inside) is a bratty kid who wants everything his own way.
        - Bill Watterson

My co-workers: They're there when they need me.
        - IPF

Comment

Well, thanks, HawaiianShirts. I don't necessarily have a whole lot of stories, but when I started finding tickets like those, I just knew I should share them here.

I honestly don't think that it was the tech trying and brainfailing on the 'user can't' ticket, though. We've had a few other two-word or three-word tickets make it through, and generally the users are pretty good about describing the error- that, and since the company has them running XP, all the helpdesk personnel are *supposed* to be capable of connecting to the user's machine and evaluating the issue.

By and large, most of my *users* at this company have been incredibly kind- I had another european call tonight who was just running off of caffeine and adrenaline, since he was six hours ahead of me... Unfortunately I wasn't able to fix his issue, but he'll be doing some tests by taking his laptop to another site to see how it behaves there- I'm 99% sure the issue is with his router blocking his VPN. But he'd be on the phone with me, and I'd be like, "okay, I need you to log into...."
          him: *BAM* (sound of papers scattering everywhere) "I've GOT it! I think! Is this the right one?! I have it here SOMEwhere!" *BAM* (more papers flying everywhere)
          I could just envision him erupting out of a fountain of loose sheets of scribbled notes, clutching a single torn page in his hand, a crazed gleam in his eye...

I mean, I was apologizing for keeping him up past 1AM trying to fix his issue, but he was thanking me for my time.
          ...this is a crazy world.

But then, that's why I'm doing this. I like making everything run better.

Comment

Ah, you remind of the good old days when I worked for the now defunct GE ITS division. I worked at the global HQ for a different GE division where we provided 'global' support. Of course, I'm still not sure why the helpdesk kept sending us tickets for VIP users in Tokyo who needed on site tech support within 4 hours. US to Japan flights are a bit longer than that.

[QUOTE=Arm;278803] But the one that truly takes the cake, is this one:

* User can't

...and yes, that was the entire ticket. [QUOTE]

I find this to be quite accurate, actually.

That describes most of my help calls perfectly. Fortunately (or unfortunately since I am the helpdesk) I now enter my own case notes, start to finish.

For example: User received new USB drive for backups. Requested that we install the appropriate software to burn to the USB drive as current software won't allow her to put a DVD into the USB slot.

I felt it necessary to log her entire voicemail so I have written records of WHY it was necessary to bludgeon her with her keyboard...

Comment

Working...
            X