This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• MegaBITS and MegaBYTES are not the same

In my line of work, (enterprise storage support), I am constantly amazed at how many hundreds of thousands of dollars worth of gear our customers will buy without having the least clue how they work.

Common scenario for me: One of my companies products does remote storage replication. You have one box in one site, the other somewhere else (sometimes thousands of miles away)... all I/O to Box A is replicated to Box B. This is a pretty standard feature, but it is now available in boxes much cheaper than they used to be.

All this wonderous niftiness requires cluster overhead, plus protocol overhead, plus the actual bandwidth you need to perform the data transfer. So, if you write to your database with peaks at 20MBps at site A, you will need around a 23-25MBps pipe, at least.

Storage guy goes to his networking guy and asks for the appropriate WAN bandwidth, which then gets attached to an overpriced converter box so it can talk to the storage. Much time passes and much money is spent, and the line is installed and everybody is happy... right?

Nope, it doesn't work. Much whining and escalations later it ends up in my queue. I look at the logs and note, just as everybody else has, that there are timeouts out the wazoo. I ask Storage guy what he is using to provide the long-haul link. He proudly replies: "A pair of T-1's."

*bangs head on desk*

A pair of T-1's is a measly 3Mbps (or 0.3MBps). He barely has enough bandwidth for cluster overhead, much less his actual workload.

Reply: "but... but... he said it was FAST! It already costs thousands of dollars per month! Why won't it work? MAKE IT WORK!"

*sigh*

SirWired

Ouch. Just... ouch. For any people who would like an analogy, this would be like racing the Indianapolis 500 in a 1975 Ford Pinto. And complaining when you can't win.

I'm truly sorry you have to deal with that person.

Comment

An old friend of mine kept trying to impress me with his tech knowledge (yes, he is a registered tech) and one day on his trying to impress me he was saying that his 100BaseT connection is so fast and I am quoting this exactly:

"It gives me 100 Megabits of data. Not bytes, bits."

And he was saying it as if to say that the bits were more impressive.

It took all my restraint not to laugh at him at that point. I was just out of high school so I was no where with the knowledge that I have now, but even at that stage, I knew that 8 bits equal a byte.

Yes, he tried to impress me by saying that his super fast connection having less throughput than most people would think about.
      I AM the evil bastard!
      A+ Certified IT Technician

Comment

This is a shockingly common communication problem between Storage Guys and Networking Guys. Storage bandwidth ALWAYS gets measured in bytes, but the admins keep forgetting to remind the networking guys that the capital "B" is not a typo.

SirWired

Comment

Quoth sirwired View Post
          This is a shockingly common communication problem between Storage Guys and Networking Guys. Storage bandwidth ALWAYS gets measured in bytes, but the admins keep forgetting to remind the networking guys that the capital "B" is not a typo.

SirWired
          Its really an abbreviation issue. MB and Mb are too close to the same thing, so it's easy to make the mistake if you're not paying attention. Maybe one day we'll get a better terminology, but in the meantime, I would spell those out using a simple replacement macro. Megabytes and Megabits are still similer, but it's an easier catch.
          The Rich keep getting richer because they keep doing what it was that made them rich. Ditto the Poor.
          "Hy kan tell dey is schmot qvestions, dey is makink my head hurt."
          Hoc spatio locantur.

Comment

Working...
          X