Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

You can't have your cake and eat it too.

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

You might want to give 1280x768 a shot for your widescreen monitors. I have a widescreen on my laptop and that seems to work best for me, someone who uses 1024x768 on most regular screens.

Your company setup sounds something like ours. At some of our plants we have them connecting to VMS, UNIX and One World. I still get people who call in saying they can't connect to the "system."

Eric the Grey
    In memory of Dena - Don't Drink and Drive

Comment

Quoth Broomjockey View Post
      A more modern example would be something like you want a high-powered position in a company, but you also want an easy time at work.
      Coining a phrase:

"He wants to be the CEO without the responsibility."
      The Rich keep getting richer because they keep doing what it was that made them rich. Ditto the Poor.
      "Hy kan tell dey is schmot qvestions, dey is makink my head hurt."
      Hoc spatio locantur.

Comment

Quoth Geek King View Post
        Coining a phrase:

"He wants to be the CEO without the responsibility."
        isn't that any CEO now-a-days?

what did HP's CEO do? almost run it into the ground, and then got a multi-million dollar severance package?

Quoth LifeCarnie View Post
        ... Since the last time I lost a FF session due to a crash, IE has crashed easily 40-50 times.

Maybe it's our firewall, but Java Script and Flash give IE fits.
        yah, could be the firewall.. but i don't have any problems w/ any of the multimedia stuff i do. (can't believes he's defending IE)

but back to the OP. You need to get a big foam cluebat(r) and beat some sense into people who do that. I've gotten that a few times in my IT careeer too. drives me nuts.
        Last edited by Broomjockey; 05-16-2008, 04:34 PM. Reason: multi-quote

Comment

Quoth earl colby pottinger View Post
          1) "You were in the same room so it must be your fault", I even had a user claim I messed up their photocopier when I spend the entire time on laser printer on the other side of the room. And just forget about them saying "sorry" or "I was wrong" if you show the problem was their fault from day one. (pagers at the back of a drawer anyone?)
          Right out of college I worked for a bank. A co-worker related a story to me about how he stopped in at one of the branches to cash a check on his way home. In and out in less than 10 minutes. An hour later, the server at that branch crashes. "Well, Larry was here a bit ago, he must have done something to it."
          A fact of life: After Monday and Tuesday, even the calendar says W T F.....

Comment

Quoth Eric the Grey View Post
            You might want to give 1280x768 a shot for your widescreen monitors. I have a widescreen on my laptop and that seems to work best for me, someone who uses 1024x768 on most regular screens.
            That's the resolution I run at home, but the monitor at work doesn't support that resolution. From what I can tell, this monitor I have at work now doesn't support any resolution that isn't 1680x1050.

^-.-^
            Faith is about what you do. It's about aspiring to be better and nobler and kinder than you are. It's about making sacrifices for the good of others. - Dresden

Comment

well i'm on a mac now so i don't really worry about resolution.
              i was going to mention firefox (gotta love ctrl + but it looks like someone else did it already.

can't stand that attitude tho... "well you touched this part-unrelated-to-my-issue ... therefore you caused my issue". one of my old coworkers tried that on me... "don't touch my computer, see? it didn't mess up until you touched it." he didn't much like me saying that "that error was already up there before i touched it".

likewise, slightly related... where i work now, if you ever look at any piece of gear they decide you own it. we've gotten calls for "hey this item_x is beeping, come take a look at it". We've told them it's not ours - and even who really owns it - but since we own an unrelated item that's next to it, they figure we must own all of it.

Comment

Working...
              X