X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Know your place

I was actually the SC on this one.

I phoned up our tech support for something fairly stupid since I was fresh out of college and knew exactly squat. The help desk was efficient, if a bit cold, and in a few minutes the issue was cleared up. It was one of those dumb, simple things I should have been able to handle, but like I said - I was a noob.

After I thank the help desk lady and hang up, I clearly hear her exclaim, "What a stupid mother %$#@!#$." She goes on to badmouth me for almost a minute, using terms I thought only sailors knew. In her defense, she had been having an awful day already so she was at the end of her civility (if she had any to begin with.)

How do I know what kind of day she had, and what she said AFTER we hung up? Because she was about 10 feet away with only a 6 foot cubicle wall between us.

I heard WAAAAAY more than I ever wanted to in that spot....
    Hmm...more zombies than usual...

You weren't sucky at all. Noob I will buy, but not sucky. SHE was the sucky one in this exchange, and I would have had a really hard time not letting her know in a rather rude way that I could hear her.

I see a in her future!
    "You mean you don’t have the one piece of information you actually need? Well, stick your grubby paws in the crayon box, yank one out and colour me Fucking Shocked Fuchsia." - Gravekeeper

Comment

Quoth Gruesome View Post
      How do I know what kind of day she had, and what she said AFTER we hung up? Because she was about 10 feet away with only a 6 foot cubicle wall between us.

I heard WAAAAAY more than I ever wanted to in that spot....
      Ooohhh, I would have gotten up and walked over to her and said: "Nice to know exactly how you feel, thanks..." and then walked away.

I mean really. Who in their right minds would talk that way in an office environment where you can be overheard by others, potentially the people you were just on the phone with.

Eric the Grey
      In memory of Dena - Don't Drink and Drive

Comment

Being a n00b does not make you an SC, unless you scream, swear, blame someone else, etc.

The Help Desk person had a right to be annoyed, but behaving like that at her desk was completely unacceptable. She was a jackass, and she should have been informed by you, and you should have informed her supervisor.

Should something like this happened again, you should not let someone get away with behavior like that.
        Labor boards have info on local laws for free
        HR believes the first person in the door
        Learn how to go over whackamole bosses' heads safely
        Document everything
        CS proves Dunning-Kruger effect

Comment

Many people don't understand that ignorance is correctable.

Stupidity, however, requires another spin on the Wheel of Karma.

Comment

One of my favourite callers was a guy who would go "I don't know how to do xyz". I'd talk him through it, he'd make notes, and clarify anything he thought he hadn't written properly. Any second call about the same thing began "I'm sorry I don't understand my notes on xyz can you help me". Never had a third call from him for anything he needed to learn.
            Last edited by rvdammit; 05-30-2008, 08:49 PM. Reason: fix trypo
            ludo ergo sum

Comment

Quoth rvdammit View Post
              Never had a third call from him for anything he needed to learn.
              Wow... can we like clone him or the part of his brain that thinks like this and then implant it into every SC in the world.

Comment

This woman was just plain mean. To everybody. Always. She was TECHNICALLY professional on a call, but as soon as the call was over she'd eviscerate the caller almost every time.

I was right out of college and damned glad to have a job so I wasn't about to make waves. And I was only in that spot for a few months so it wasn't that bad.
                Hmm...more zombies than usual...

Comment

Quoth wagegoth View Post
                  Should something like this happened again, you should not let someone get away with behavior like that.
                  I had a co-worker do a similar stunt. He decided not to read anything, and insisted blaming *me* for the adware/spyware that he'd accidentally installed. As soon as I'd left the main office area to check on the server, the comments started--about how I was an idiot, didn't know what I was doing, etc. (This is the same guy who didn't want women in the workplace...and felt that all IT and computer people were beneath him.

He didn't want to run Spybot, nor did he want me to "fuck up" his computer, since I "didn't know what I was doing." As such, removing his spyware at the *bottom* of my "things to do" list
                  Aerodynamics are for people who can't build engines. --Enzo Ferrari

Comment

Well, if he knows this much about computers and stuff, why didn't he deal with the problem himself...
                    "I am not able rightly to apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question."

Comment

Working...
                    X