X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Automated "live help" bot?

This was the strangest thing ever...

I have a new client that I'm doing his website for. Now I'm not going to make a lot from him -- at the same time it's only going to take like 5 hours max to do it (unless something happens).

Uploaded a simple php file to the website (as in only contained the php tags and an echo statement). Simple? Nope. 500 internal server error. Any non-html/htm file caused a 500 error. Checked the website, and they had that very problem that was "fixed" 8 hour prior.

So I clicked the live help.
    After 8-10 "thank you for your patience" messages this happened where bot is like "bot" as I can't tell what he/it was:

bot: Hi Joshua , I apologize for the wait time. My name is bot, how are you today?
    me: My client has a website with your company -- and I just started his website design today. However, any file with a php, phtml extension causes a 500 error
    me: and the phpmyadmin times out
    bot: Okay.
    bot: Could you please provide me with your account username?
    me: His account username is: {the username}

*notice the "his"? anyway, didn't think anything of that as it'd be needed *

bot: Okay.
    bot: To protect your account from unauthorized changes, can you please verify for me the answer to the Security Question:
    bot: What city were you born in?
    me: I don't know it as I said -- it's my client's account. I'm just reporting a problem and basically wondering when it'll be fixed.
    me: Because I know the mysql worked a few hours ago -- I had to set it up.
    bot: Sorry without authentication I was unable to provide you with any information regarding your issue.
    bot: Could you please provide me with the last four digits of your credit card on file, so that I can authenticate you as the owner of the account?

* really confused at this point as, well, I already said I wasn't the owner, like what 2-3 times? *

me: You can't even say when a problem on your end will be resolved? OK..... didn't think it was sensitive info since your own website said you had issues with it.
    bot: Sorry without authentication I was unable to provide you with any information regarding your issue.

Now I'm just a bit confused.... not one of my questions or comments was really ever answered, and actually were ignored. So it makes me wonder... was it really a human that has to follow a mindless script by a horrible company -- or did the company have a "bot" with basic intelligence to seem like a human and try to diagnose the problem so they can claim 24/7 live help?

I've seen AI programs like that...I'm guessing you got a AI.

Comment

Quoth Aethian View Post
      I've seen AI programs like that...I'm guessing you got a AI.
      ditto... aim uses a similar program for, believe it or not, amusement.
      If you wish to find meaning, listen to the music not the song

Comment

There used to be a site (don't recall the name now) where people could create their own bots for AIM.......someone had programmed theirs so that if the other person asked for pictures, it gave them my AIM name and said I had nude pics. So, I would frequently get IM's from strangers saying that "my" friend CAROLINA (forgot what the bot's name was) told them to ask me for nude pics.

Comment

It was probably close enough: mindless office drone :P.

Comment

It was a rat thing, while the nice doggies are not chasing away bad people they help desk for server comanies online.....
            I pet animals, I rescue insects, I hug trees.

"I picture the lead singer of Gwar screaming 'People of Japan, look at my balls! My swinging pendulous balls!!!'" -- Khyras

Comment

I always ask directly: if I get the sinking feeling I've been interacting with a bot, I'll ask it, "Are you a computer program?"

Or, more likely, "You're a computer program, aren't you? Programmed to make me think I'm talking to a person."

If they deny it, ..... well, I've never had them deny it, or respond to it in any way.

Comment

most likely it only understood a few words in there like PHP and error and was just bullshitting its way through the conversation... I've got basic bots that do that that I've coded but they don't even come close to passing the turner test

Comment

It could be that someone has outsourced their tech support to Nunavut. Next time mention pink camo!

Comment

Quoth Cyphr View Post
                    the turner test
                    Turing? Or is Turner a different test?
                    Ba'al: I'm a god. Gods are all-knowing.

http://unrelatedcaptions.com/45147

Comment

It's a sad commentary on the state of human intellect, when you can honestly have a CSR so locked into a script, that they would fail a Turing test...

I'm not saying whether that was a bot or not in the OP's story...but I have met real live people who are so devoted to following a call center script, they come across as an Eliza bot.

What I wonder is, does this effectively lower the bar for a real Turing test, if real humans can be so stupidly devoted to a script, that a real bot might actually sound more like a real person than the real person does?

Comment

Turing Test : Failed.

This must be quite weird. I hope I never meet that kind of thing.
                        "I am not able rightly to apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question."

Comment

Quoth Broomjockey View Post
                          Turing? Or is Turner a different test?
                          sorry turing test is what i meant

Comment

Working...
                          X