"What was that again?"
    "*."
    "Okay, and what was my password again?"
    "*. S-T-A-R."
    "Okay, I think I got it!"
    ABOUT TIME!!!
    SC: “Yeah, Bob’s Company. I'm Bob. It's my company.” - GK
    SuperHotelWorker made my Avi!!

And you work at a college. I for the next generation.
    I've lost my mind ages ago. If you find it, please hide it.

Comment

Yes, cry, that was the new director of education for our grad and adult studies program.

Comment

Oh, that explains alot. I can count on one hand the numbers of professors, I've met that had any brains. And I used to work at a college like you.

Seriously, when you have a professor who's tenured because she taught for 30 years. And 18 of those years was teaching filing system and typing for business. Don't mean you should teach general computer information. She even taught database programming/macroing.

Comment

Ah, universal tenuring systems. I know that pain. I've been CAUGHT in one of those classes.

(the teacher didn't like me correcting her, but she HATED when I DIDN'T correct her. Mwhahaha)

Comment

Day 2: Called twice about his passwords. On his first day, I gave him his SQL server account. He forgot that I gave it to him. Called again because, once again, he forgot.

Day 3: Tried logging into his computer with his SQL account. Once I gave him his username, kept trying to get in using his SQL password. Got him into his computer, and he then told me he didn't have the access database on his desktop, and didn't know how to find it (that's what he'd be using the SQL account for.

Comment

Let me guess, he teaches database management too.

Sorry, to those in education here. Very jaded when it comes to college professors. Worked with them for nearly 7 years. And nearly all the tenured professors should have retired 10 years before. Unfortunately for me, nearly all the professors at the college I worked at was tenured.

Comment

no, thankfully, he doesn't teach. But it's bad enough of what he does :: see above ::

Comment

Mmmhhh, so your school directors don't have to teach. Must be nice.

Comment

Quoth technical.angel View Post
                    Ah, universal tenuring systems. I know that pain. I've been CAUGHT in one of those classes.

(the teacher didn't like me correcting her, but she HATED when I DIDN'T correct her. Mwhahaha)
                    I had one of those classes last semester. It was a US history class. The professor was a moonbat. Now I don't care what you political views are, if you want to be involved with some group feel free to, but keep it out of the class room unless it is part of the class..

Anyway, this guy had been around since the early 70's. During a discussion on the civil war after mentioning the numebr of people killed in some battle, he goes on a 5 minute rant on why we need Universal Health Care, and somehow said that if his vision of universal health care was around in the civil war, less people would have died.

The second one, when I walked out of class, was a discussion in the Bill of Rights/Constitution.
                    P: The 1st Ammendent only guarantees freedom of the press and assembly. Nothing else is covered by the 1st Ammendment.

When other students began to write this down I spoke up.

Me: Professor, dosen't the 1st Ammed. say "Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances." (yes I have memorized this)
                    P: well, you see, your are incorrect because... (he refused to admit that the 1st. Ammend. even had the other text in it.) But you seem like a very smart person.

I tried to contine the discussion...

Me: But....
                    P: *to the class*lets ignore that distraction and continue on...

I walked out with that. A few others left the class also.

It was near the end of the semester and I stayed away for a few days, but the next class(the one after I walked out) I arrived way before the other students or Prof. (who was always a few minutes late) and turned on the overhead data projector, pulled down the screen and pulled up a picture of the Bill of Rights and left it on. He always moved the mouse to the side so use the desk space so if the screen saver came on it would eventually show.

Comment

Mattm...that just makes me twitch. I had a geography professor kind of like that (he'd like to go on off-tangent political rants all the time) but at least he had his facts fairly straight. But an US History prof not knowing the First Amendment? Something's screwy with your history dept. there.
                      My NaNo page

My author blog

Comment

Quoth Kheldarson View Post
                        But an US History prof not knowing the First Amendment? Something's screwy with your history dept. there.
                        Well, we hear about customers all the time who only listen to the rules, or parts of the rules, that are convienient to them. I'm betting the the prof is a SC out in the retail world too. More proof the SCs can be from any walk of life.
                        The Rich keep getting richer because they keep doing what it was that made them rich. Ditto the Poor.
                        "Hy kan tell dey is schmot qvestions, dey is makink my head hurt."
                        Hoc spatio locantur.

Comment

Quoth Geek King View Post
                          Well, we hear about customers all the time who only listen to the rules, or parts of the rules, that are convienient to them. I'm betting the the prof is a SC out in the retail world too. More proof the SCs can be from any walk of life.
                          Good point. He may not agree with freedom of speech or religion so he just ignores it.

Comment

Is it Time to go Home Yet!?

Typical Day

Me: Your user name and password are case sensitive on our web-site and must be typed in exactly the way I am telling you to.
                            SC: Okay, damn, just give it to me.
                            Me: Annoyed because I have checked this idiot's account and he just called in about 10 minutes ago for the SAME issue.
                            Me: You user name is *&^%$, your password is all lower case, no spaces, *(*&^. Try that and see if it let's you into your account.
                            SC: This shyt's not working!
                            Me: Why is it not working? How are you typing the user name?
                            SC: My email address, it is my email address.
                            Me: No sir, an email address is different than a user name. Please type in the user name I gave you.
                            SC: Okay, phone abruptly hangs up. No thank you, no nothing.
                            Just Remember, things Could be Worse!

Comment

bleh. my belief is that any class should stick to the subject at hand, and not the teacher's personal views. you see that more in colleges... cos in public schools the teachers are more apt to get in trouble for it. and god help you if you tell them that they're wrong.

one of my co-workers had a similar issue... the guy called up and he was one of the important company members, claiming that "the computer forgot my password". She refused to reset his password until he admitted that HE forgot the password and not the computer. Lucky for her she was a good tech cos she never got in trouble for stuff like that. (And of course she was usually saying stuff the boss would have said himself)

Comment

Working...
                              X