This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• These people teach computer classes?!

I'm a summer student working IT at a local library for the summer. This library just happens to offer a number of courses to the elderly (and anyone else who's interested) on how to use a computer. These classes range from how to use a keyboard/mouse to navigate, to creating an email account, to using google search.

These are some of the issues I've seen, and coincidentally, where this post gets interesting.

- When the staff replaces mice/keyboards (they used to, I insist on doing this now, you'll see why), they simply cut the cord, unplug the old wire, thread the new mouse/keyboard wire in, and plug it into the system. Not only is this a waste of good hardware (most of the time the computer just needs to be rebooted), but it's completely frustrating for me, because they don't always take the cords out. They just leave the ends in.

- Unplugging things because they don't like the blinking lights and wondering why they don't work later.

- Logging an issue, and rebooting their computer, thereby resolving the issue, and then NOT updating the log. I get there, and they go "what issue".

I actually had one user saying the screen was broken. I went down to examine it, turned it on, and presto. It was working.

"Imagine that."

...ugh.
    P.E.B.C.A.K. - Problem Exists Between Chair And Keyboard.

I had a co-worker do that. The worst part was that I got left holding the bag, because I had to do the followup calls about the monitor when I came on shift. The eedjits had taped notes over the power button, and it was one of those designs where the manufacturer had gotten clever, so there was a power button on the right side and an adjustment button on the left side, with the same damn markings on them. Well, the same icon, anyway. The power button had 'power' written on it, but since the eedjits had taped over that button entirely...

I came on shift, they told me it wasn't working, and I needed to report it so we could get a replacement. I was working in a frigging network ops center at the time, you'd think I could trust my co-workers with the basics... I come in the back, see the monitor's off, say, all right.... get in touch with the equipment folks when they come on shift, start pulling everything off the monitor to get it ready to send out... stare suspiciously at it for two seconds when I pull the note off the button, and I'm like, you know what... lemme just check this myself.

Monitor came on JUST fine. That was a fun call I made back to the equipment guys to explain why the monitor wouldn't be coming back for service after all.

And the next time my co-workers came on shift, there was a nice NEW note taped NEXT to the power button... explaining its function, and that Things Ought Not Be Taped Here.
    "Joi's CEO is about as sneaky and subtle as a two year old on crack driving an air craft carrier down Broadway." - Broomjockey

Comment

Quoth blackmars0 View Post
      When the staff replaces mice/keyboards (they used to, I insist on doing this now, you'll see why), they simply cut the cord, unplug the old wire, thread the new mouse/keyboard wire in, and plug it into the system. Not only is this a waste of good hardware (most of the time the computer just needs to be rebooted), but it's completely frustrating for me, because they don't always take the cords out. They just leave the ends in.
      Say WHAT?! They cut the cord? ... I have never heard of this being done to replace a peripheral, and I can't imagine why they'd think that it's a good idea. What a waste!

... Gah. You've blown my brain right out my ears.

Comment

Quoth the_std View Post
        What a waste!
        Yeah, really! Tossing a keyboard is a great time to get out the sledgehammer, or play some Office Skeet with a shotgun or three!
        ...WHY DO YOU TEMPT WHAT LITTLE FAITH IN HUMANITY I HAVE!?! -- Kalga
        And I want a pony for Christmas but neither of us is getting what we want OK! What you are asking is impossible. -- Wicked Lexi

Comment

Quoth the_std View Post
          Say WHAT?! They cut the cord? ... I have never heard of this being done to replace a peripheral, and I can't imagine why they'd think that it's a good idea. What a waste!

I think in their minds, if they don't work immediately, they're worthless.

It's frustrating beyond words.

Comment

Quoth the_std View Post

Someone did that may my school once. It was a work-study thimg where their job was to replace all the old ball mice in one lab with opticial mice. They cut the coed on the old mice(which were going to be saved for spares) and put the new mice in. That work-study ended quickly.

Comment

but WHY cut the cord? That just doesn't make sense at all...

It's EASIER to just...you know... unplug it... cutting the cord just makes a bigger mess!

I'm REALLY curious as to the thought process behind this.
              <Insert clever signature here>

Comment

Quoth Lingering Grin View Post
                I'm REALLY curious as to the thought process behind this.
                You assume thought was involved? You must be an optimist.
                The Rich keep getting richer because they keep doing what it was that made them rich. Ditto the Poor.
                "Hy kan tell dey is schmot qvestions, dey is makink my head hurt."
                Hoc spatio locantur.

Comment

Quoth Lingering Grin View Post
                  but WHY cut the cord? That just doesn't make sense at all...
                  I've seen cutting the cable in two sensible scenarios, it may have been a "I don't want to think about it, cut 'n' paste" procedure.

1) Network cables - most of the time it's not the cable that's bad it's the connectors. When the dodgy cable is replaced the connectors are snipped off and put in the 'big box o' cables' until someone can be arsed to re-make the cable.

2) Power cables - Most UK offices are required to have electrical equipment tested yearly and most firms contract the job out. If a power cable fails inspection they'll snip the plug off so that it can't be re-used, thus covering their asses (UK products are required to have sealed plugs and have done since the mid 90s or so)
                  Lady, people aren't chocolates. D'you know what they are mostly? Bastards. Bastard-coated bastards with bastard filling. Dr Cox - Scrubs

Comment

I had to cut the cords of the mice when I worked at Office Max. But that was because it was discontinued and going into the trash. Well, I keep one
                    Under The Moon Paranormal Research
                    San Joaquin Valley Paranormal Research

Comment

I only cut cables on known bad peris.

Mainly because Maintenance always wants to be "helpful". They'll throw away anything in the vicinity of a trashcan (true, it wasn't a great place to store a computer, but you haven't seen our storage room!!!), but if they see something IN the trash that looks usable, then it must be a mistake, and they'll take it out for us. The best way to keep something from being thrown out? Tape a "TRASH" sticker to it.

So, yes. When I get a bad mouse or keyboard, I'll cut the cable on it. That way, if it's "saved", we'll know to introduce it to Mr. Dumpster ourselves.
                      SC: “Yeah, Bob’s Company. I'm Bob. It's my company.” - GK
                      SuperHotelWorker made my Avi!!

Comment

If it's a bad peripheral, I have no issues with the cord being cut. BUT, when it's a working mouse/keyboard (I know because I've seen them cut cords on mice that were working a few minutes before multiple times), my eye starts to twitch.

Comment

I once unpluuged my monitor by moving it around. I thought the plug was built into the monitor.

It just went off, I thought maybe the monitor was broken so I wanted to contact Dell to fix or replace it.

My sister came down later, took one look at the monitor then juggled the cords behind it, turned on instantly.

Comment

Working...
                          X