Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Apparently 'tis a stubborn one. (the machine, not its user)

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Apparently 'tis a stubborn one. (the machine, not its user)

Back story: aside from working as an accounting admin - and really, I have no bad customers there so far, even in tax season - I freelance in tech support, soon to be an A+ cert tech.

So, my ex-coworker and friend, also a CPA, has a computer. Here's the patient history:

1. The AV was out of date and defunct for a YEAR. He's running a LAN connection and has no idea what spyware is, aside from something being severely not right with it.
    2. It's a Dell Dimension 4300 - a stable, good machine; we used those at my office for years without much or any issue to speak of. It ran like sulfured molasses because one of the spyware bits downloaded a few more Trojans onto it.
    3. Computer was never defragmented or maintained.

So, I cleaned it, put AVG on it, Firewalled it, updated it and left him with detailed instructions on how to keep it cleaned up. I also upgraded his memory (brother, did he need it) and the entire thing runs a lot more sprightly.

Apparently, I've not gotten everything off, because when he tries to send an attachment, the attachment gets removed. Disable all firewalls - still no dice. Last time I ran an AV scan, it took about 4 hours (hardly kidding) and found about eight Trojans.

That was last week.

The thing is, he wants me to remove all the AV and shielding because he believes that's what's screwing with his email.

*headdesk*

That aside though, he's relatively reasonable. That and frankly, I severely doubt that AVG antivirus is one of those things that would strip email of all attachments.

Ideas?
    Sometimes, it just doesn't pay to get out of the blanket nest.

I've seen this a few times.. sometimes Outlook Express and Outlook have a setting where you can disable incoming and outgoing attachments...

Not sure what email client he's using.. Feel free to priv message me if you want to discuss it.
    Fixing problems... one broken customer at a time.

Comment

He's using Gmail actually.

The computer was EXTENSIVELY infected when I started work though. It's a miracle his Winsock settings were intact, another comp I had has its Winsock trashed by the multiple infections...but I do have WinsockFix on standby for that.

I'd have to take a look at it, which I do...at 3 pm today.

Comment

I take it he's running windows xp?
        Fixing problems... one broken customer at a time.

Comment

Yep, he is. It's a common issue - there's a latent infection that's screwing with the outgoing attachments...particularly if it bonds itself to the program creating the file. I've had something similar happen with MS Word on another machine...

Comment

Are you sure about where those attachements are getting removed?

My old ISP had what was either a bug or an undocumented feature that would occasionally turn attachments into a long string of garbage text at the end of the message. I say it may have been an "undocumented feature" because every time I recieved one of those mangled emails, it was followed shortly by a mail from the same source saying: "don't open that attachment, apparently I've been infected by a virus".

Is is possible his ISP is stripping the attachments, either because it has detected a virus, in a mistaken attept at blocking viruses, or because it has identified him an an infection vector in the past?

Comment

Actually, they weren't being removed at all. It was a good old PEBKAC situation.

The reason being is, he never used any email other than AOL but decided to get Gmail. That said, he's not used to the fact that Gmail isn't a client program, so he simply didn't attach.

But there was a latent infection on that computer.

Comment

I know people here are going to disagree with me, but when you have a computer that is so infected that it takes 4 hours to run a virus scan, you really should just try to save whatever data you can to disk and reformat. Saves you a ton of time at that point and you usually get rid of all latent infections.

Glad to hear that his attachment problem was solved though.
                Jim: Fact: Bears eat beets. Bears. Beets. Battlestar Gallactica.
                Dwight: Bears don't eat bee... Hey! What are you doing?
                The Office

Comment

Trust me when I say, Shabo, I agree. I presented the option, he opted against it.

*shrugs* far as I can tell you, the issue is his own. If I had the discs from that comp, I'd do a hard wipe, but the absence of 'em complicates matters.

Comment

At our center our new favorite tool to use against viruses and spyware is called "VIPRE" from Sunbelt Software, it's basically CounterSpy with an Antivirus program attached. Try it, so far we've had great success with it.

Comment

At the walk-in clinic at my university, we have disk images of all the student machines we sell, and the staff/faculty/department computers. Often it's just easier and more efficient to yank the drive, back up manually, and reimage the damn thing.
                      Gun control is hitting your target; recycling is reloading your brass.
                      "It's not our fault the Business School makes you buy those crappy Gateways!"
                      "The queue is..."

Comment

Working...
                      X