This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lost it with a tech SC today *LONG! Some language*

5 of 6 days in a row down.......I was doing better after yesterday but this guy put me over the edge.

This past Saturday (Aug 9) I took a call from a customer who's computer was in for diagnostic testing (optical drive wasn't working). Normally I do not take such calls since I'm not a technician, but at the time we had no tech on duty, so as an Electronics Dept guy I had to. He had dropped the computer off the day before (Aug 8. this becomes important later).

Right away the guy is flipping out because he told us to call him and we didn't call. I asked for his name and pulled out the work order and notes for computer. I did see an extra note "call customer when done" which is totally stupid and redundant because why the hell wouldn't we call a customer when their computer is ready? We have scant storage space in the tech area to just sit on stuff while we wait for the customer to call US. Never mind the fact that to do so would be bad customer service.

In reviewing his file, I found that his drive needed to be replaced. I also knew that our tech had been working on that machine right up until closing time the night before, which is why he wasn't called at that time (it'd be unreasonable to call at 9PM, right?) I got back on the phone and told him this and again he started flipping out.

SC: Why wasn't I called?!?! I told them to call!!!

Me: Because the tech didn't finish until very late last night and--

SC: But it's well into the afternoon! (At the time of this call it was about 4PM).

Me: --and there's no technician here at the moment TO call you.

*nearly a full minute of ranting and raving about how upset he is that he wasn't called. Despite the fact that no technician was around to do so*

SC: SO what do I do? Do I pick it up now?

Me: If you want to you can, or we can replace the drive for you. *Explains charges. $50 for the new drive, plus $40 installation fee. I made sure to emphasize several times that the $40 installation fee was IN ADDITION to BOTH the cost of the drive, and the diagnostic charge he'd already paid. I had the distinct impression that he was going to try and claim otherwise to weasel out of the charges*

SC: *more ranting*

Me: OK.

SC:.............

Me: Do you want us to replace your drive, sir?

SC: YES!!!! I TOLD YOU THAT!!

Me: (thinking "no you didn't"): Ok. Again, that will be $49.99 for the drive and $39.99 to install it, in addition to the diagnostic fee you already paid.

SC: Fine. When will it be done.

Me: There's up to a 48 hour turnaround for all techincal services.

SC: WHEN, EXACTLY will it be done?

Me: I don't know sir. It depends on--

SC: WHEN?!?

Me: Monday evening.

SC: Monday evening. CALL ME WHEN IT IS READY!

Me: We will, s-- *click*

Jeeze. What an impatient butthole. As if it's not enough that we were doing this over the weekend for him. If he'd waited, he would have been called later that day when the other tech came in and reviewed the notes. I put the replacement drive with his computer, then noted on the file that he'd authorized the replacement and that he had been informed of - and approved - the additional charges.

Then today, he called again!

Me: Electronics, this is Dave1982, how can I help you?

SC: I need to talk to someone in the tech department.

I recognized his voice immediately. Our Tech Guru was there and on the clock, but was busy with another customer at the time.

Me: Well I believe he is with another customer right now. WOuld you like me to have him call you back?

SC: I HAVE BEEN ON HOLD FOR ALMOST AN HOUR! I'M ON MY CELL PHONE AND YOU'RE USING UP MY MINUTES!! I WANT TO TALK TO HIM NOW!!!

Bullshit. First of all, there's no way in hell he'd been on hold that long. Our system rings back calls that have been on hold for more than 60 seconds and I had picked up just as that happened (the call came in as I was punching back in from my lunch break). Now, it's possible he'd been calling back for a while (Up to 30 minutes, since he hadn't called before I went to lunch), but that's not the same thing as being on hold for an hour.

And second, WE aren't using up anything. He'd expending wireless minutes of his own free will.

I put the SC on hold and asked the Tech how long he would be.

Tech: Oh, it's going to be a while, sorry. (turns out he was in the process of making a $1200+ sale, and those can take quite a while to wrap up).

Me: OK, I'll take a message. *picks up phone* Sir, our technician is busy with another customer right now. I'll have him call you back as soon as possible. If you'd give me your number I----*click*

At this point, I went about like this:

My patience for this guy just evaporated. This was now the second time he'd called and been abusive to me over the phone, and there was just no excuse. All tech customers are quoted a 48 turnaround time. He called less than 48 hours after he dropped his machine off initially, and then again less than 48 hours after authorizing the repair (thus resetting the 48 hours). Both times he was indignant, rude, uncooperative, and unreasonable. And I KNEW that when he eventually came in to pick up the machine, he'd complain and that he'd probably be given either a refund or a courtesy coupon for the "inconvenience."

Well, fuck that! I went back over to the Tech and borrowed the keys to the bench, then pulled out the SC's work order file. I noted in detail the abusive nature of the call I'd just received, then made it abundantly clear to the Customer Service Lead that he was entitled to NOTHING when he came in and that I did not want him to receive any courtesy coupons. He agreed with me, and told me to tell Al (MOD) about it.

Now, before I could do that, it got very busy at checkout (Back to School season being in full swing) and I had to go on a register to clear the lines down. The whole time I was doing this, the Tech was still working with the same customer on that big sale. So when another call came in for my department, he wasn't able to pick it up, so I had to, even while still on the register.

Me *while ringing another customer in*: Electronics, this is Dave1982, how can i help you?

SC: I need to talk to someone in the tech department.

HIM AGAIN!!!!!!

Me: Sir, I told you already that he is with another customer, but you didn't want to leave a message, then hung up on me!!

Customer in front of me:

This sent the guy off on a rant about how he doesn't understand why we dont' call people, among other things. Um, maybe because we said well call WHEN IT'S DONE, and it's NOT DONE YET?

SC: I NEED TO TALK TO HIM!! YOU'VE HAD MY COMPUTER FOR A WEEK NOW!!!!

Me *forcefully*: Sir, it has NOT been a week!

SC:...........

Me: It's been four days!

SC: I need to talk to him, now!

Me: I told you. I will have him call you WHEN HE IS DONE WITH HIS CUSTOMER. He is still with that customer.

SC:...........

Me: OK???

SC: Bye now. *click*

I was shaking with anger at this point. I don't like being screamed at on the phone. And never before have I had someone with enough nerve to HANG UP ON ME rather than leave a message, only to call back less than ten minutes later and do it AGAIN!

Me *to my customer*: I'm sorry about that ma'am. Your total is $xx.xx.

Good Customer: What happened?

Me: Oh, that guy has called me twice now and has been EXTREMELY rude both times.

GC: Well, unfortunately, they are out there......

Me: Yeah, I know.

Again, I noted this on his service notes. And brought this to the attention of the Tech, the CSL, and the MOD. Thankfully, he didn't call back again.

Tech: Well, if he does call and do this again, then it will conveniently take another 24 hours to finish the job.

Oh, and the kicker? When the Tech finished his Big Sale and pulled out this douchebag's computer, he found (unexpectedly) that it actually had a SATA optical drive. The one the SC asked us to use was IDE. In other words, it wasn't compatible. So we can't do the repair without special ordering a SATA drive. THAT is NOT going to be pretty, considering 1) how pissed the guy is already, 2) it will take AT LEAST two days for the part to get in and 3) special order parts have to be pre-paid, so it can't even be ordered until he pays for it.

Fortunately, the job of dealing with that falls to the Tech, not me.

I just hope I'm not around when he comes back in or calls next.........
    Last edited by Dave1982; 08-11-2008, 09:35 PM.
    "We guard the souls in heaven; we don't horse-trade them!" Samandrial in Supernatural

RIP Plaidman.

well if he specified a drive that doesn't work with his computer, it's not your fault.
    but i bet if he keeps mouthing off they'll just hand the whole unit back to him unfixed and tell him to bugger off

or so we can hope

Comment

VICTORY!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Well, sort of.

This guy came in today, and though a remarkable twist of fate, got to deal with me, again. He actually interrupted me while I was trying to help an Awesome Customer, and started going off about his he "doesn't understand" why his drive needed replacing, and demanded an explanation.

Me: Sir, I do not know why exactly; I'm not a technician, so I was not the one who worked on your computer. All I do know is the the drive was diagnosed as faulty, and needed to be replaced.

SC: But why would that cause *rattles off some woefully inadequate description of a problem*

Me: Again sir, I don't know that; I did NOT work on your computer.

Eventually, after a couple minutes of bickering, he asked to just take the computer home, without the repair being done. This I cheerfully did for him, since it meant he would be out of our hair.

And I got my wish. NO REFUND, and NO COURTESY COUPONS FOR HIM!!!!!!!
      "We guard the souls in heaven; we don't horse-trade them!" Samandrial in Supernatural

RIP Plaidman.

Comment

Working...
      X