This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• awesome computer smackdown :)

The Performance issue thread reminded me of a nice smackdown we had at work one day. but i didn't want to threadjack

The techs had just implemented blocking MySpace at the IP address level. Some of them were cheating themselves by using proxy-hacks (not me, cos my sites were too low key to be blocked).... so the head admin came around and gave them a heads-up that they were going to enforce the rules about hacking the system. severely.

They went through the logs of where everyone goes online scanning for proxy-hack websites and noted the accounts.

Punishment: Entire computer account blocked for 7 days minimum. THEN, the user had to turn in formal counseling paperwork signed by his or her boss.

Sadly, a few bosses also violated the rules. Not sure how they handled that one... but I'm sure the admin's boss probably had a few words with them.

"Proxy-hacks"? Are those different from simple proxy servers? Because frankly, there's a lot of work arounds that don't require hacking the network. Seems a bit extreme for them to go that route when less severe options were available. Let them get their smackdown.
    Ba'al: I'm a god. Gods are all-knowing.

http://unrelatedcaptions.com/45147

Comment

basically they were going to web pages that would re-route their traffic to the blocked sites. so they could read myspace without getting "caught"

problem is... most of those sites are NOT there to help you. most of them will try to infect your computer or - more importantly - will log your keystrokes so they can steal your data.

heh... people tried all the time. they found ways to put their own private computers on the network, but didn't realize the techs made habits of checking it. 'course... that was easy to stop by just disabling the switch port they were using - can't get on the network if the switch itself says "i refuse to talk to you"

(and bored techs with network scanning software helps too lol)

Comment

I created a proxy thing with php in under 20 min one night.... the scripts to do so are listed online even. You can't block all the proxies

Comment

course... the alc on the router does help.

but that's also why they scanned the logs of all sites clicked on. anywhere you go shows up there.
          (which is also why no one believed any complaints of "I didn't do it" cos... they had the proof already)

Comment

I used to use an ssh tunnel to dodge blocks at work, mainly for dslreports.com.
            Eventually it became so locked down that you could only get out with http and icmp. And then they switched from a blacklist to a whitelist for http. No more tunneling, no more proxifying, no more anything. It was horrible.
            Supporting the idiots charged with protecting your personal information.

Comment

Quoth PepperElf View Post
              bored techs
              DOES NOT COMPUTE...

Of course, I work in education, so boredom and techs do NOT go together for about 3 months.
              SC: “Yeah, Bob’s Company. I'm Bob. It's my company.” - GK
              SuperHotelWorker made my Avi!!

Comment

One way to bypass blacklist/whitelist is to connect to Internet by a 3G HSDPA cell phone. A bluetooth dongle is easy enough to install (if your computer isn't equipped with built-in BT) and you're all set. My 3G connection speeds are usually around 1.5Mbit, for most purposes it suffices nicely.

Just don't get caught, bypassing all company firewalls and security systems this way will get you in serious trouble.

Comment

No admin rights, no sneaking in a bluetooth adapter.
                  Supporting the idiots charged with protecting your personal information.

Comment

yep. and none of our stuff was that good. heck people were lucky if we let them have win 2000.

and believe me... people got bored ....
                    i could start a whole new thread about the ways they found to amuse themselves (like re-arranging someone's keyboard to read "F**KYOU", or wrestling matches where you hope they don't crash into the gear)

but ... when it came to others trying to beat our system, we were nasty wolves. chomp chomp.

Comment

like re-arranging someone's keyboard to read "F**KYOU"
                      So where'd they get the second "U" from?
                      ...WHY DO YOU TEMPT WHAT LITTLE FAITH IN HUMANITY I HAVE!?! -- Kalga
                      And I want a pony for Christmas but neither of us is getting what we want OK! What you are asking is impossible. -- Wicked Lexi

Comment

Actually, I think Elf was being literal with the asterisks. Use the 8 from the number row and the * from the number pad, and you have two stars. Failing that, just use the c and you don't need two stars.
                        Ba'al: I'm a god. Gods are all-knowing.

http://unrelatedcaptions.com/45147

Comment

like re-arranging someone's keyboard to read "F**KYOU"
                          Quoth JustADude View Post
                          So where'd they get the second "U" from?
                          Pilfered from a second keyboard, perhaps.
                          "I don't have to be petty. The Universe does that for me."

Comment

Working...
                          X