This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The 15th call...

I got this story from a friend of mine yesterday, so sadly (?) it is not mine originally. But it's good enough that I had to tell you (with his permission, of course).

My friend "G" is a help desk slave, like so many others, working for one of the bigger Norwegian oil corporations. So naturally, with many employees and many things that can go wrong, they get lots of calls. But one employee recently stood out.

This woman had come back to work after a few years leave (tending sick family members), and had been back for a grand total of FOUR days. Even in this short amount of time, stories had started circulating around the help desk offices about her. So G. had heard about her, but had never gotten a chance to talk to her in person. Until Friday, when she called, and got him.

It seems that overnight she had forgotten her loginname and password (that she had used the other three days) . G. pulled up her records, and retrieved her password for her. And then spent FIFTEEN minutes trying to get her to input it correctly. She put her ID in the password box, and vice versa. She continually misspelled, even her own login name, which was remarkably similar to her normal name... G. even s-p-e-l-l-e-d it out to her, and she managed to get it wrong.

When, after much trial, error, and 'ing they finally got her online and satisfied, G. looked at her record. It showed that in the four days she had been back, she had called the help desk FOURTEEN times! Every call had lasted for at least half an hour, with some reaching the full hour mark. And, in his words, the total of her questions could be summed up into one; "How do I use a computer?" She had called the help desk about everything from how to read e-mail (a half-hour call) to why she could not access the secure wireless connection her husband set up at home.

G. finished by saying "Monday morning, her boss is getting a call from my boss..." I would so love to listen in on that call.
    Any resemblance between your reality and mine is purely coincidental.

Sadly, such is the state of any tech support anywhere, or at least its deteriorating into that. The generation who knows the least about technology and has refused to learn anything about it now have the "Empty Nest" syndrome. In other words, little Billy or Susie always handled these issues for Mommy and Daddy, and now that they've gone off to college/new job/married/kidnapped by aliens, the parents are lost. The only people they know to call is tech support. *Sigh*

I can't begin to count on both hands and feet how many times the problem was:

- Password typed incorrectly
    - URL typed incorrectly
    - Computer not actually turned on
    - Customer made up settings out of thin air instead of finding out the correct ones
    - Monitor not turned on
    - Computer-related issue not involving the internet connection (the only thing I troubleshoot)

GACK! I've got to get out of tech support sometime soon or I will lose what little sanity I have left...

...don't you know the first law of physics? "Anything that's fun costs at least $8.00."
    - Cartman

Comment

Working...
    X